22 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  January 22, 2019 - 4:01am
Tonuz's picture
Kudos: 0

Hello !

I would like to purchase a Bose system with Soundbar 700 + Bass 700 + Surround Speakers.
This system is only compatible with Dolby Digital and DTS and should be compatible with 5.1

(https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/home_theater/bose-soundbar-...)

My question is : what happen If i play a movie with DTS-HD or Dolby True HD on infuse ?

I know that infuse will convert it to PCM to get a lossless result. But is the Bose system able to read PCM ? What happen if i run a 7.1 DTS-HD / Dolby True-HD ?
Someone have is setup and could help me ?

Also, why is there a codec debate on some home theater systems, if all of them could read PCM ?

Thank you !
Antoine

January 22, 2019 - 8:04am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 27

It supports audio return channel (eARC) which supports 5.1 PCM. Regular ARC supports 2.0 PCM. Your TV will also need to support eARC too.

If your TV doesn’t support eARC then you’ll have to transcode everything to Dolby 5.1 in your Apple TV settings.

January 22, 2019 - 8:41am
Tonuz's picture

Thank you for your reply !

My Tv (Philips 55POS9002) doesn’t have eARC and the Bose soundbar only has 1 HDMI ... do you know if there is another way to receive HD audio ?

January 22, 2019 - 4:57pm
Ph886's picture
Kudos: 9
  JarvisMeier wrote:

It supports audio return channel (eARC) which supports 5.1 PCM. Regular ARC supports 2.0 PCM. Your TV will also need to support eARC too.

If your TV doesn’t support eARC then you’ll have to transcode everything to Dolby 5.1 in your Apple TV settings.

eARC and ARC are two of the same but different. You’re confusing eARC which is part of the HDMI 2.1 specification that allows lossless audio over ARC.

“Regular” ARC can support DD+ 5.1 (including ATMOS encoding for DD+) as well as DTS as both are lossy formats. As long as OPs TV supports ARC they should get the lossy multi channel playback.

January 23, 2019 - 6:14am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  Tonuz wrote:

Thank you for your reply !

My Tv (Philips 55POS9002) doesn’t have eARC and the Bose soundbar only has 1 HDMI ... do you know if there is another way to receive HD audio ?

The only way to receive HD audio is through a sound bar that has true HDMI inputs or through a receiver. I can’t comment on what soundbars support multichannel PCM as I use a receiver in my setup.

January 23, 2019 - 12:59pm
Albert Street's picture

This is a bit off topic, but I’d highly, highly, HIGHLY advise against that (or any) Bose setup. I just took a look, and it looks like you’d be spending $1,800 for that setup, which is a horrendous rip off for the quality Bose offers.

You could set up a phenomenal, near theater quality 7.1 or Atmos setup for less than that, and it would make the Bose system look like a toy.

I’d recommend poking around AVS Forum and the buying guides at the HomeTheater sub on Reddit as places to get started.

Remember, friends don’t let friends buy Bose Smile

January 23, 2019 - 4:07pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  Albert Street wrote:

This is a bit off topic, but I’d highly, highly, HIGHLY advise against that (or any) Bose setup. I just took a look, and it looks like you’d be spending $1,800 for that setup, which is a horrendous rip off for the quality Bose offers.

You could set up a phenomenal, near theater quality 7.1 or Atmos setup for less than that, and it would make the Bose system look like a toy.

I’d recommend poking around AVS Forum and the buying guides at the HomeTheater sub on Reddit as places to get started.

Remember, friends don’t let friends buy Bose Smile

Agreed. You could get a nice Sony receiver and a 5.1.2 speaker setup for that price. Alternately you could also get one of LGs atmos soundbar setups which from reviews seem not too bad.

January 23, 2019 - 5:00pm
Tonuz's picture

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies.
I also ordered a Samsung n950 but not yet received it. (I’ll have a try)

By the way I’m not interested in complex home theater with AV receiver, big speakers etc.

Bose apparence is pretty great and they are the only one with white design. (It’s like apple VS other brands Smile )

Finally the soundbar 700 has an eARC HDMI while the N950 doesn’t. If I understand well, when my TV will be able to do eARC (maybe with firmeware update as this is a feature that could be added to HDMI 2.0), I’ll be able to play HD audio with my setup ? (Apple tv 4K / infuse - Philips 55POS9002 - Bose)

Regards
Antoine

January 23, 2019 - 5:15pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester

Only if the sound bar supports multichannel PCM. I’d recommend taking this over to AVS Forum as these guys will have better knowledge when it comes to AV specs and requirements

January 23, 2019 - 7:16pm
Albert Street's picture
  Tonuz wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies.
I also ordered a Samsung n950 but not yet received it. (I’ll have a try)

By the way I’m not interested in complex home theater with AV receiver, big speakers etc.

Bose apparence is pretty great and they are the only one with white design. (It’s like apple VS other brands Smile )

Finally the soundbar 700 has an eARC HDMI while the N950 doesn’t. If I understand well, when my TV will be able to do eARC (maybe with firmeware update as this is a feature that could be added to HDMI 2.0), I’ll be able to play HD audio with my setup ? (Apple tv 4K / infuse - Philips 55POS9002 - Bose)

Regards
Antoine

That’s understandable if you don’t want a complex setup, but that Bose soundbar and speakers are a GIGANTIC waste of money. Seriously, Bose is straight up ripping people off with those products. You’re being conned if you spend anything close to that money on them.

If you really don’t want to invest in a surround setup, just get a decent soundbar for a few hundred dollars. Also, don’t worry about eARC on any of this. You will never, ever, ever notice the difference between lossless and lossy audio on a soundbar setup.

January 24, 2019 - 2:48am
flashf1's picture

I've had full 5.1/7.1, and up until recently 5.2.2 for 15 years or so. Finally got sick of the "upgraditis", wires, receivers, speakers everywhere - I fell out of love with it all. I bought a bose soundbar 700, sub 700 and the rears. It is absolutely excellent, and I couldn't recommend it enough. I tried the sonos equivelant, and was impressed, but after hearing the bose in a relatives house, I returned it after about two months and got the Bose, no regrets.
My room is a decent size, 21x16, with tv centered on the long wall, soundbar wall mounted 4-5 inches under it, sub over a few feet to the left, and rears at approx. 6ft wall mounted. Ok, it doesn't have HD audio, but the dolby digital 5.1 and dts, and pseudo surround from 2 channel sources is fantastic. I would certainly not listen to the guy completely dumping on it, seems to be all shouting and feelings! You can buy Bose and have a 60 day change of mind.
Yes it's expensive, but it is simple, wireless, looks great, and most importantly sounds amazing, very powerful sub, better than Sonos sub IMO. Also Airplay 2 coming soon if that's of interest to you. Remember a lot of people spout off populist negative comments about Bose, Sonos, without ever having the product or listening to it in their own room (I was guilty of this type of thing for years).
Any questions, I'd be happy to answer.
Just for balance!

January 24, 2019 - 3:01am
Tonuz's picture

Hello Flash,

Thank you for your comment !

To be honest i already purchased the Bose Setup 1 hour after my comment Smile

At the moment i'm really glad of it, but as i'm not an expert and i don't have any other comparaison (with complete Atmos or 7.1/5.1 setups with AV Receiver etc) i can't really know if bose is the best choice.

By the way, as the soundbar 700 has eARC, do you know if this will be able to read HD audio with PCM 5.1 (when TV will be able to pass it with eARC update ?)

January 24, 2019 - 3:06am
flashf1's picture

Hi, It's technically possible in the future. The Bose 700 has eArc, so if your TV also does, Bose would have to software update to allow 5.1 pcm/HD audio. At the moment you need to make sure that the Apple TV is set to "Dolby Digital 5.1", not stereo, and not "best available/change format. Did you get the base module and rears?

January 24, 2019 - 3:14am
Tonuz's picture

Yes i took them.

I don't understand : "Bose would have to software update to allow 5.1 pcm/HD audio."
Why would they need to do an update ?

January 24, 2019 - 3:26am
flashf1's picture

Apologies, they (BOSE) would need to do an update to support the Dolby True HD & DTS HD master audio codecs through eARC.

With regard to infuse taking those codecs from your hard drive and converting to PCM, then passing through to the soundbar as lossless... I'm not sure, I think currently it down coverts PCM 5.1 to 2.0, I THINK, therefore some sort of update would be required, for it to output PCM 5.1. I stand to be corrected.

January 24, 2019 - 3:51am
Tonuz's picture
  January 24, 2019 - 3:53am
flashf1's picture

I've done a little bit of reading on the bose communities and it appears that it will take a 5.1 pcm uncompressed signal. I'm going to test it tonight, will have to rewire as I'm using optical but will connect the soundbar to the hdmi arc. EARC isn't required for that is it?

January 24, 2019 - 4:14am
Tonuz's picture

For standard audio (not HD) it's OK with ARC

Check the attachement

Attachments: 
  January 24, 2019 - 5:41am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester

eARC is required for PCM audio above 5.1. It’s part of the HDMI 2.1 spec however some HDMI 2.0 receivers are getting the update. You MIGHT get an update for your TV if it’s relatively new and it’s a top of the line flagship model. I have a 2 year old LG OLED and it hasn’t and probably won’t get eARC support. It’s probably best to contact your TV manufacturer as they will be able to give you better answer.

January 24, 2019 - 6:24am
Tonuz's picture

Hello Jarvis !

Thank you for your answer, my TV is a Philips 55POS9002 (a end 2017 model) which is a high-end model on the Philips catalog.
Btw i did sent yesterday an email to the customer service to have more details !

Regards,
Antoine

January 25, 2019 - 1:42pm
Jecht_Sin's picture
Kudos: 18

I don't know about Philips, but Sony is upgrading (if they didn't already) to eARC only to the two 2018's Master Series models, AF9 and ZF9 (A9F and Z9F in NA) which also have a much more capable CPU and twice the RAM than the previous models. Also according to this article (https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1533275502) they will be/have been the first to receive eARC support. No other HDMI 2.1 features will be supported.

Personally, instead of hoping for eARC support, I have bought an AVR with multiple HDMI ports. That has also been a must due to the broken audio passtrough on the Bravia with Android. On my Bravia (and all other Bravia models before 2018) DTS does not return via ARC unless the apps use an audio hack, for example. As I'm quite sure PCM 5.1 isn't fully supported by ARC (for sure it never worked with Plex or Kodi on my TV).

January 26, 2019 - 6:33am
yorktowne1981's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 1

I have the Soundtouch 300, Acoustimass 300 and the surrounds.... it is a fantastic system.

I get why people try to bash it, it is very expensive and you can get a sick system of separates for the same amount or less. But for me, and I’m sure many others, having sound like this in a wireless setup is preferred.

I’ve had other soundbars and there’s no comparison. For me, this setup is up there in quality with a wired 5.1 Focal setup I was running last year.

I’m currently using an Optical connection to the tv. I have the audio in the Apple TV set to “Dolby Digital 5.1” and in Infuse audio set to “Auto”

Can anyone running a similar Bose Soundtouch setup comment if there are better settings to use and why?

Apple TV 4K --> Bose SoundTouch 300 --> LG OLED65B7A
======== SYNOLOGY DS1517+ ========
iPhone XS Max iPad Pro 10.5