1 post / 0 new
#1  January 29, 2019 - 7:35am
Kevk74's picture
Kudos: 1

First of all, a big thank you to the developer. It’s always been unclear if you are a one man team, or just lead developer, but you practically field all your clients questions whatever appears to be yourself! I haven’t had this type of experience since my “infancy” of streaming, constantly batch converting files using “VideoDrive” to .m4Vs just so my 1st Gen ATV could stream my videos. (Eventually integrated evoking background Handbrake and FINALLY a quicker demux on top of it, if an .mp4 was in an .mkv container.)

Point was I felt so connected as I do now. Whether or not it’s a one man show, I feel like my questions are answered by its maker. Now assuming it’s grown to a team but you’ve maintained that feeling of user and developer and it’s very reassuring. While the former was strickly a Mac OSX application, it was one of the one programs I insisted on paying for even when I could get ahold of a key or what have you. That “intimacy” felt like the “guy” deserved that and MORE for all the development and maintained work as versions of OSX and iTunes updates could break code and force entirely new approaches to achieve the same desired result. To have to not only UNDERSTAND HOW those changes impacted previous versions of software, but also figure out how to “fix” the software to continue to perform as desired, especially as you seek to improve the application is remarkable.

I always use the fact FireCore was pioneers in jailbreaking initial Apple TVs to sell my friends on Infuse 5 Pro, saying “If anyone understands Apple’s code, it’s FireCore. They were the ones that initiall jailbroke ATV’s so we didn’t have to convert even dang movie and use things like XMBC instead to stream to our Apple TVs” Now with Dolby executing Audio Codec patent rights and QNAP and others deciding to pull support precious support rather than pay, I initially REALLY appreciated InFuse’s commitment by ponying up for outrageous fee’s like $50,000 “buy in” with $0.64/app fees as well and ANNUAL royalties of $5,000 just to use AC3 and others and you still see Roku and others supporting AC3 “passthru” to dodge having to pay to keep costs down, so I admired the daunting commitment and I was one that even BOUGHT Infuse 4 Pro to be able to regain those audio codecs like AC3 and DTS again, now in a world of DTS MA-HD, ATMOS, Dolby True HD and even VIDEO codec (Main10 10bit x265/H265 HEVC being first of course) and HDR, HDR10, and Dolby True Vision) it’s mind boggling what must go into trying to keep up with macOS, iOS and tvOS changes as well as pay and even ATTEMPT to flawlessly support those new codecs as well. Infuse 5 Pro deserves an influx of current support if not more! I bought lifetime Infuse package but sometimes it hardly feels enough.

So thank you just from that standpoint. To then still feel you have almost direct tech support access to the software developer fielding responses in pretty surreal, even if that isn’t entirely true, and I don’t want rob anyone’s contribution behind the scenes which AGAIN I see as one more family’s mouth to feed and still pay the “MAN” his codec fees, while also satisfying the “GODS” giving them their 30% for just “allowing you” to be here in the “store” is such a statement alone of your commitment. I’m just relieved Apple has allowed a once jailbreaking application maker which only sought to make a device actually USUABLE into the store, because you bring with you the abilities to STILL make ATV 4K HDR “work” while not supporting mkv in a world of 10 bit H265 where nearly ALL conversions and x265 encodes are mkv containers with AAC 7.1.

So many QNAP & Synology NAS drives using intel Bay Trail J1800s that STILL required a sometimes near $2000 investment with 3TB-6TB WD REDs still exist and can’t handle even Demuxing so ATV 4K HDR can play an 10 bit H265 mkv which apparently requires extracting the mp4 video and the extreme compression to re-encode in H265 before sending and making the client/player have the ability to be able to direct play or direct stream the video is invaluable.

Now to get away from my Infuse 5 Pro “fanboy” rant and get to my question? I (obviously) run a QNAP NAS, a TS-451 4G to be exact (and “yes” I did my own 1GB to Crucial 4GB RAM stick swap). While I feel grateful having apparently nearly accidentally chosen an affordable NAS that was Intel based and 64bit capable, so its had continued QTS OS and firmware support from a 2013-2014 release. While it’s greatly appreciated, its obvious lack of horsepower and H265 hardware decoding has made Infuse 5 Pro an invaluable player. Thank GOD QNAP has made Infuse one of its available Qfile players! Plus INFUSE making use of the A10X chip to do the heavy lifting while circumventing its lack of mkv support (especially owning a 4 Bay NAS) and not having the scratch to upgrade either NAS to even a quasi capable Intel 7th gen Celeron model, let alone a Kaby Lake $3K one, let alone just buy (4) 10TB WD REDs, or god forbid 10TB Enterprise level NAS drives. I must somehow use my still $2000 NAS investment (including (4) 6TB drives) use RAID 5 and pray monthly Raid scrubbing will be enough to avoid encountering any UREs on a RAID 5 array rebuild if I loose a drive.

My “issue” is what is my best way to populate my Infuse library and have it updated to current library on my NAS? SMB share? Lately I’ve gotten confused with “doubles” trying to use multiple shares using multiple types of shares? The “connect to Plex” seems to rectify my library missing current additions but it’s always like doing some manual login and “fetch” type idea and if the metadata population etc is faster than any other way, so be it, but I can’t help feeling I’m doing something wrong?

Until Plex rebuilt itself from the ground up to support hardware acceleration for H265, I was REALLY leaning on Infuse 5 Pro, but I still like Infuse 5 Pro better for its audio and video codec support and so I just want to make it feel as user friendly under LAN and abroad. Heck I want to take along my ATV 4K HDR instead of my Roku Ultra? I may start carrying some locally stored video if bitrate of the copy is too large for my Comcast upload speed but for now I’m trying to keep my H265 1080ps under 4.5GB to avoid my upload caps.

Sure I can use Qfile to search essentially alphabetical folders and choose “Infuse” as my player, and use my iPhone 8 Plus and some lightning to HDMI adapter to play a lossy H264 source in the end, but I understand I must manually set up my IP access to avoid that Qfile part.

I’m working on your kindly including instructions, but still not sure if that part is achievable on my QNAP and default to PLEX when visiting In-Laws and family and tote along a Roku Ultra instead of my ATV 4K HDR because it feels easier and most people with decent 1080p Smart TVs aren’t upgrading every TV in the house to 4K Smart TVs, especially guest bedroom ones. Even more, many don’t necessarily buy TVs with strong enough hardware and codec support to handle all situations, but again I point to Roku using pass thru for much of the audio support and I’m a slave to the existing TV (or potentially older receiver or even the addition of some newer soundbar) confusing the matter, to handling audio support.

My primary concern is using the best NAS share protocol being set up properly so I can immediately jump on Infuse the way I do with PLEX on my ATV 4K HDR when at home under LAN? Can you point me in that direction and give me few hints to avoid unnecessary shares but perhaps preserving ability to use them if a situation presents itself? Choices are always nice if so some reason an update to a device breaks usage.

Beyond that, just giving me best advice to attempt to tote along my ATV 4K HDR over my mkv supporting Roku Ultra while having a “weaker” Intel Bay Trail NAS with the equivalent of an Intel 4000HD iGPU (I only use 720p-1080p H265 mkv with bitrates under 6Mbps because my Comcast Broadband limits my upload speeds to 5Mbps technically.) I refuse to upgrade my plan just to get ONE 10Mbps stream out of my house and I’m DYING to get Fiber in my area to get out of being a slave to that nonsense.

I understand my NAS still has to keep up with bitrates, but as long as the NAS can see the ATV 4K HDR as a direct streamable client, I’m fine but likely still limited to 2-3 remote streams even under those conditions. I’d LIKE to set up similar set ups for family members to access my NAS but I need to prevent video transcoding and can maybe handle some audio once I get more upload speeds, but my CPU has its limits of course. Direct play is ideal but also using ATV and Infuse 5 over Roku is another? Let’s straightnen out my LAN situation using my ATV 4K HDR first? (Assume a non-smart 720-1080p TV).

Truthfully my ultimate goal is to direct stream 1080p and upscale to 4K eventially. There’s no way I’m paying to hold native 4K video even in x265 file sizes. My 18TB volume costing $2000 essentially would be reduced to holding 275-330 movies if they are 50GB-60GB copies! I’ve been told half the world is doing upscaling wrong. If done with a 4K60HZ HDMI port, proper 2.0 cables and matching chroma on device and TV (4:2:0 or 4:2:2 etc) artifacting disappears and upscale can be indistinguishable from native 4K and with H265 a 1080p stream is even SMALLER and esssentially easier to keep up with! ~Kevin