33 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  February 4, 2019 - 2:09am
mjt57's picture
Kudos: 0

Today I bought a Synology NAS to replace a failed single drive Seagate Central NAS.

What’s the best way to set Infuse up to stream media from the NAS?

Thanks
Martin

February 4, 2019 - 5:41am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 28
  mjt57 wrote:

Today I bought a Synology NAS to replace a failed single drive Seagate Central NAS.

Thanks
Martin

Either plex, SMB or NFS.

February 4, 2019 - 8:06am
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 352
  JarvisMeier wrote:

Either plex, SMB or NFS.

If you have been running plex in the past that may be what you want to do, otherwise Infuse is designed originally to be a stand alone app and you can use it without having to install, set up, and maintain an additional application running in the background on your NAS.

Most find that SMB is a very workable connection and it's usually a set and forget item. Often the mix of WiFi and wired connections along with the mix of equipment will make one method favorable over another.

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

February 4, 2019 - 9:36am
zigourney's picture
Kudos: 3

I've got a Synology DS918+ with all my rips nicely organised in a folder called "Video".
Apple TV 4K installed with Infuse Pro.
Mount the "Video" folder from the NAS via NFS within the Infuse app.
Enjoy watching your movies on your TV!
Mine is all connected via gigabit LAN...its rock solid.
APTV4K with infuse Pro will play everything and its almost the best media playing experience....almost because no ATMOS/DTS-X support on local files just yet.

February 4, 2019 - 5:45pm
mjt57's picture

Thanks folks. I've set it up as SMB. Seems to work. But I'm still learning how to manage the NAS. I migrated from a Seagate Central which died, to the Synology.

February 5, 2019 - 5:49am
lyskamm's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 13

Aside from property set up the NAS (if you have a 2+ drives I strongly suggest that one of the drivers works as a backup of the others, at least for important files), the choice of the sync method with Infuse depend s also on the size of the media library.

In my experience for a large library, Plex server is far better then other methods (SMB, NFS).

February 5, 2019 - 7:04am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  lyskamm wrote:

Aside from property set up the NAS (if you have a 2+ drives I strongly suggest that one of the drivers works as a backup of the others, at least for important files), the choice of the sync method with Infuse depend s also on the size of the media library.

In my experience for a large library, Plex server is far better then other methods (SMB, NFS).

Agreed with on plex for the backend. Infuse is a great player but the metadata does extend outside of Infuse to other devices. You might want to start your movie upstairs on infuse and then continue it on another device that happens to be running windows, android, or linux.

February 5, 2019 - 6:29pm
mjt57's picture
  JarvisMeier wrote:

Agreed with on plex for the backend. Infuse is a great player but the metadata does extend outside of Infuse to other devices. You might want to start your movie upstairs on infuse and then continue it on another device that happens to be running windows, android, or linux.

Thanks folks.

There is no Plex server for my NAS, unfortunately. Mine appears to be one of the few for which there is no Plex support.

Anyway, the SMB setup is working well. It took some time for me to wrap my head around how it works and how I had to set up shared folders. But it's all good.

Thanks again folks.

February 10, 2019 - 1:59pm
coryd.9075's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 1

Infuse and Synology NAS Media streaming

What model Synology NAS did you get? I’ve been using them for years, from a DS212 to DS918+’s (server racks for my McIntosh Labs home theatre 4K-8K content though). They’ve all run Plex. Newer systems should have no problem. You may have to modify your Synology Package settings for Beta apps and non-Synology package certificates. It should be in the Settings section for Package Center. I believe this will show more apps to install, specifically third party apps.

Let me know if this helps.

February 11, 2019 - 5:58pm
mjt57's picture
  coryd.9075 wrote:

What model Synology NAS did you get? I’ve been using them for years, from a DS212 to DS918+’s (server racks for my McIntosh Labs home theatre 4K-8K content though). They’ve all run Plex. Newer systems should have no problem. You may have to modify your Synology Package settings for Beta apps and non-Synology package certificates. It should be in the Settings section for Package Center. I believe this will show more apps to install, specifically third party apps.

Let me know if this helps.

Hi Cory.
Thanks for the reply. I'm using a DS-418. It can't run Plex as the software for it isn't compatible with mine.

But as per everyone else's suggestions I've set it up in Infuse with SMB. That is working OK for me.

I won't be using it for anything else except for media streaming to the Apple TVs and for network storage of files for our PCs on the home network.

I was considering configuring it for remote access. But I thought, what's the point. I doubt that we'd ever use it and it opens more holes for security.

Anyway, Infuse likes it. So, we're happy.

Thanks again everyone for your help. It's appreciated.

Cheers
Martin

February 11, 2019 - 6:02pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  mjt57 wrote:

Hi Cory.
Thanks for the reply. I'm using a DS-418. It can't run Plex as the software for it isn't compatible with mine.

But as per everyone else's suggestions I've set it up in Infuse with SMB. That is working OK for me.

I won't be using it for anything else except for media streaming to the Apple TVs and for network storage of files for our PCs on the home network.

I was considering configuring it for remote access. But I thought, what's the point. I doubt that we'd ever use it and it opens more holes for security.

Anyway, Infuse likes it. So, we're happy.

Thanks again everyone for your help. It's appreciated.

Cheers
Martin

Plex added armv8 support with latest plex pass version available from their webpage.

February 12, 2019 - 11:45am
gggplaya's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 11

I only use Plex for streaming outside my home. I see no reason to use it inside when I can just use Infuse.

February 12, 2019 - 3:52pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  gggplaya wrote:

I only use Plex for streaming outside my home. I see no reason to use it inside when I can just use Infuse.

You use Infuse as the front end and connect it to your plex server. This way your libraries and watch progress are synced no matter what device you are using.

February 12, 2019 - 3:55pm
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 352

Debating the uses of plex is moot since the OP has settled on using Infuse as a stand alone.

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

February 12, 2019 - 5:01pm
gggplaya's picture
Beta Tester
  JarvisMeier wrote:

You use Infuse as the front end and connect it to your plex server. This way your libraries and watch progress are synced no matter what device you are using.

. I guess that works if you’re a bachelor, but i turned off all watched indicators. Too many people using my apple tv’s.

April 20, 2019 - 9:04am
GAR_FR's picture

Good afternoon
I’m a bit struggling to declare an acces to my Synology NAS using ‘’Shared Network’’ on the Infuse interface.
I have no problem when I use a set up where the NAS is on the same subnet (192.168.x.x)
The problem occur when I try to use the quickconnect set up on the Synology NAS (smb://QuickConnect.to/myaccount)
I did direct port 139 to the Synology NAS in the Router. I also tried port 445 with not success.

FYI the ports used on Synology NAS are listed in the doc here: https://www.brizawen.com/synology/synology-que...

Would you be so kind to indicate witch port should be opened in the router to access the Video directory of a Synology NAS from Infuse and from the internet

Thanks

April 20, 2019 - 12:41pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  GAR_FR wrote:

Good afternoon
I’m a bit struggling to declare an acces to my Synology NAS using ‘’Shared Network’’ on the Infuse interface.
I have no problem when I use a set up where the NAS is on the same subnet (192.168.x.x)
The problem occur when I try to use the quickconnect set up on the Synology NAS (smb://QuickConnect.to/myaccount)
I did direct port 139 to the Synology NAS in the Router. I also tried port 445 with not success.

FYI the ports used on Synology NAS are listed in the doc here: https://www.brizawen.com/synology/synology-que...

Would you be so kind to indicate witch port should be opened in the router to access the Video directory of a Synology NAS from Infuse and from the internet

Thanks

Quick connect doesn’t work this way... or it shouldn’t. Sign up for a synology.me account and use that then open the ports required for SMB. If that doesn’t work look at using something that is made for working of the internet such as FTP

April 22, 2019 - 2:08am
GAR_FR's picture

Good afternoon and thanks for your quick reply
I was suspecting QuickConnect wouldn’t authorise this type of connection so I tried with a DDNS and also directly with the IP address of ISP Box. I tried with port 139 et port 445 pointing to the NAS on the LAN

When doing smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:139(or445)/”Video Directory on the NAS” from a Mac or a Linux Box, I go directly to the Video Directory on the NAS (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx being the IP address of ISP Box). I select a movie and I read it.

When I setup the same data on the Infuse interface of my iPhone, I receive an error message from Infuse interface regarding ‘’an error while connecting”.

The test here above is validating the Network side. Yet Infuse does not seems to be functioning in the same environment…

I welcome anyone having an idea to solve this issue. Thanks

April 22, 2019 - 12:04pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester

Don’t put in the port number when adding/connecting from infuse. This is going to be a firewall router setup. If this still doesn’t work I suggest contacting your firewall manufacturer (or ISP) for further help.

April 23, 2019 - 1:15am
GAR_FR's picture

Good morning
It is now functioning correctly using smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/”Video Directory on the NAS” in Infuse interface
Indeed the port should not be positioned in the Serveur address
Port 445 should be opened in the Firewall
Thanks JarvisMeier for your support on this one. Have a good day.

May 3, 2019 - 1:04am
alekc.1764's picture

Hi guys, I own a DS218j from synology can I setup this in order to access my media files remotely with infuse?
I setup up the quick connect I don't know how to use it. I create a normal connection on my Infuse? do I need to open some ports on my router towards the NAS? thanks

May 3, 2019 - 6:02am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  alekc.1764 wrote:

Hi guys, I own a DS218j from synology can I setup this in order to access my media files remotely with infuse?
I setup up the quick connect I don't know how to use it. I create a normal connection on my Infuse? do I need to open some ports on my router towards the NAS? thanks

You can’t use quick connect. Open SMB ports on your router and access via your external IP address.

May 3, 2019 - 8:33am
alekc.1764's picture
  JarvisMeier wrote:

You can’t use quick connect. Open SMB ports on your router and access via your external IP address.

Thanks for the answer.
My ip is dynamic not static I guess that is a problem?
Also if I create this new SMB connection what will happen to my library having already a local connection?

May 3, 2019 - 9:18am
gggplaya's picture
Beta Tester
  alekc.1764 wrote:

Thanks for the answer.
My ip is dynamic not static I guess that is a problem?
Also if I create this new SMB connection what will happen to my library having already a local connection?

What kind of router do you have, my asus and netgear routers have built in free dynamic dns service. It updates the ip automatically if it changes, you just type in “XXXX.asuscomm.com” and it directs you to your ip. You just have to relay the ports you want to your NAS ip.

May 3, 2019 - 9:24am
alekc.1764's picture
  gggplaya wrote:

What kind of router do you have, my asus and netgear routers have built in free dynamic dns service. It updates the ip automatically if it changes, you just type in “XXXX.asuscomm.com” and it directs you to your ip. You just have to relay the ports you want to your NAS ip.

I have BT router.
I think I get it now. I can use my synology.me account for a DDNS and then open SMB ports on router.
But I don't want to have smb open to internet. Not 100% sure but I think I can setup my synology to be vpn server so I can access with infuse more safely.

May 3, 2019 - 9:34am
gggplaya's picture
Beta Tester
  alekc.1764 wrote:

I have BT router.
I think I get it now. I can use my synology.me account for a DDNS and then open SMB ports on router.
But I don't want to have smb open to internet. Not 100% sure but I think I can setup my synology to be vpn server so I can access with infuse more safely.

Might be easier to do what I did, and just buy a used computer on ebay to run as a plex server. I bought a miniPC (Lenovo M73 with core i5 4570T) for $150, which uses 14watts at idle, and about 30-40watts under load. You could use an NVIDIA shield TV which uses only 3 watts at idle as a plex server as well. Plex does all the work for you, by just signing up with an email address. Wherever you login to that USER ID, plex automatically keeps track of the server IP address, and opens ports(assuming UPNP enabled on router). A Plex server would also add another layer of security between the internet and your NAS. You would make a new user ID for plex server, which only has access to the shares for movies and shows.

July 2, 2019 - 7:22pm
AJFY's picture

I have a Synology NAS with Apple TV running Infuse, all working very well except that I have three other Apple TV in the house over wifi and Infuse can't seem to synch with them at all. Any suggestions?
previously I was using a mac mini server and all was fine.

July 2, 2019 - 9:02pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
  AJFY wrote:

I have a Synology NAS with Apple TV running Infuse, all working very well except that I have three other Apple TV in the house over wifi and Infuse can't seem to synch with them at all. Any suggestions?
previously I was using a mac mini server and all was fine.

Plex. Use plex as your server and have infuse connect into that.

July 2, 2019 - 9:27pm
AJFY's picture

OK, Thank you, am trying however Plex won't allow me to see any subfolders past the VIDEO folder on the NAS, and even when I have files in the VIDEO folder PLEX doesnt recognise them, any suggestions?

July 3, 2019 - 6:41am
gggplaya's picture
Beta Tester

Can you clarify what you mean by "Sync with them"? Are you saying they have buffering issues during playback? Or that they can't seem to pull up the proper metadata for movies and organize you library?

Are you using wireless N or wireless AC? For larger blu ray rips, you may need wireless AC.

If you are having buffering issues, perhaps you should try FTP, apple products have issues with Samba(smb) because it's a windows protocol, and for years apple was out of date. SMB has more overhead when transfering files and apple's use of it has been known to be slower than FTP or AFP. On windows computers, it's almost negligible, like 1-5% performance loss, but on apple computers I've seen it be as much as 50% slower than FTP. FTP has less overhead, so for the wifi bandwidth you do have, you'll get the most out of it. On your mac mini, you were likely using Apple File Protocol(AFP) or the Samba just works better between samba versions on apple products.

For plex to recognize your library properly, you probably need to edit your plex libraries to use The Movie Database(themoviedb.com) instead of Plex Movie which is the default database. Also choose thetvdb for tv shows:
https://support.plex.tv/articles/200241558-age...

July 4, 2019 - 12:55am
thierrym's picture
Kudos: 14
  mjt57 wrote:

Hi Cory.

Have you tried Docker?