32 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  February 4, 2019 - 5:50pm
moreorless0's picture
Kudos: 0

Hi!

I have Infuse Pro 5.95 (2442) and an extensive library of 4k HDR content. Most of the movies are 40-60gb. My ATV 4K is wired. Until 2-3 weeks ago, I could play every file in my library without a glitch. I have a variety of shares NFS, UPNP and SMB. NFS and SMB both buffer terribly. UPNP works no problems. I have SMB set to auto, and I have tried going through all the settings and Auto and Legacy are the only ones that work. Both buffer. NFS seems a little better, but the best that either will do is about 10 minutes without buffering.

I could use UPNP to do everything, but the problem with that is the movies don't add to my movie library and the only way that I can play them is to browse the drive manually and select the movie I want. My TV will do the folder browse thing, and I wouldn't have needed an ATV 4k or Infuse to play my videos. I want to take advantage of Infuse's strengths and have my videos in my movie collection.

I have tried every setting and read every article on the Internet and nothing I try has made any difference. Does anyone have any idea why I'm having NFS and SMB problems but UPNP works no problem? Can the video on UPNP shares be pulled into the video library?

February 12, 2019 - 2:20pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,279

One thing you may try is adjusting the SMB version in Infuse as described in the link below. Some users have had better luck with SMB2 or Legacy.

https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles...

Additionally, the upcoming Infuse 6 release will include a number of big streaming improvements which can help in cases of inconsistent network speed.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

February 14, 2019 - 11:27am
moreorless0's picture

Thanks James. Do you have any idea on how early in 2019 it will be released? Smile

February 16, 2019 - 11:07am
james's picture
Staff

We're tentatively planning for early/mid March. Smile

February 20, 2019 - 11:04am
MartinSawicki's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 1

I’m having the same issue since a couple of weeks. Every couple of minutes 4k HDR 50-70mbit videos buffer like crazy! Used to be very fast with loading and fast fowarding etc.

I’m having this issue with SMB shares and with PLEX (connect option, haven’t tried the DNLA)

I tested the wireless network with speedtest and thats around 300mbit so should be fine (wired is 100mbit max)

Anything changed in a recent update that might have caused this?

February 20, 2019 - 11:14am
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 416
  MartinSawicki wrote:

I’m having the same issue since a couple of weeks. Every couple of minutes 4k HDR 50-70mbit videos buffer like crazy! Used to be very fast with loading and fast fowarding etc.

I’m having this issue with SMB shares and with PLEX (connect option, haven’t tried the DNLA)

I tested the wireless network with speedtest and thats around 300mbit so should be fine (wired is 100mbit max)

Anything changed in a recent update that might have caused this?

Have you tried changing SMB to either "2" or "Legacy"? Also, there may be something else on your WiFi that is polling every so often and causing the buffering. Some apps can cause that. Personally I'd stay away from DLNA since it has it's own burdens and glitches.

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

February 20, 2019 - 12:05pm
moreorless0's picture

Thanks NC Bullseye. I am running in Legacy and I just went back and tried SMB2 and it doesn't work. My system only works with SMB set to Auto or Legacy. I am wired, so I know that my problem isn't a lack of bandwidth and I'm running to a computer that I know has more than enough horse power to supply the data I need. I never had issues until somewhere between 1 and 2 months ago now. I also have a Himedia Q10pro running Kodi that does not buffer or glitch at all and it is going back to the exact same computer for data and it is using the exact same SMB protocols. I'm thinking that a new version of Infuse caused some sort of issue. It is VERY frustrating. I like Kodi, but I LOVE Infuse (or I did any way). Hopefully this all gets cleared up with Version 6.

February 20, 2019 - 12:31pm
MartinSawicki's picture
Beta Tester

Thanks for the input NC Bullseye. But my wifi is actually really strong and can handle a lot. For example watching 4x 4k videos on 4 different devices at the same time with vlc = no problem. And yes I tried SMB 2 and Legacy. Legacy seems a bit better but still not fast and buffering. Used to be lighting fast on SMB auto or Plex share. With no buffering at all.. just initial loading which is now really slow.

February 21, 2019 - 1:12pm
gggplaya's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 13
  MartinSawicki wrote:

Thanks for the input NC Bullseye. But my wifi is actually really strong and can handle a lot. For example watching 4x 4k videos on 4 different devices at the same time with vlc = no problem. And yes I tried SMB 2 and Legacy. Legacy seems a bit better but still not fast and buffering. Used to be lighting fast on SMB auto or Plex share. With no buffering at all.. just initial loading which is now really slow.

Have you tried FTP? FTP has less networking overhead. It's actually 2x faster on my old android tablet over the exact same router on the same tablet, by just copying data using the same app over FTP rather than SMB.

February 21, 2019 - 1:38pm
MartinSawicki's picture
Beta Tester

No haven't tried FTP as I don't have those shares available when I try to add a new one. AFP, SMB, PLEX DNLA, PLEX Connect and UPNP.

February 21, 2019 - 5:41pm
gggplaya's picture
Beta Tester

What kind of NAS do you have?? My QNAP has FTP disabled by default, but all I have to do is click on a checkbox to enable it.

February 21, 2019 - 9:49pm
MartinSawicki's picture
Beta Tester

I don't have a NAS. I have a mac pro "server" running macOS. I'll try and work out how to get SFTP running and do some testing..

Hoping Infuse 6 will solve all his though.. cus I normally don't even use the SMB shares. I have my library running on PLEX. And that protocol can't be configured. Which was fine a while ago but now buffers like crazy.

For quick weekly TV shows or movies I don't keep I use my Apple Airport TimeCapsule (SMB only, on Legacy now)

February 21, 2019 - 9:57pm
gggplaya's picture
Beta Tester

Oh I see. FTP is unencrypted so it has the least resource overhead, but apple doesnt like to support it anymore, instead favoring sftp.

February 21, 2019 - 10:08pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 66
  MartinSawicki wrote:

I don't have a NAS. I have a mac pro "server" running macOS. I'll try and work out how to get SFTP running and do some testing..

Hoping Infuse 6 will solve all his though.. cus I normally don't even use the SMB shares. I have my library running on PLEX. And that protocol can't be configured. Which was fine a while ago but now buffers like crazy.

For quick weekly TV shows or movies I don't keep I use my Apple Airport TimeCapsule (SMB only, on Legacy now)

You can also try NFS.

February 21, 2019 - 10:09pm
MartinSawicki's picture
Beta Tester

Oh I know everything about the Apple FTP and SFTP thing..
It's just annoying that it all stopped working properly cus Infuse was my favourite app to watch movies and TV shows.. That's why I bought the subscription Wink
Now I have to use VLC which is ugly and not user friendly.

February 21, 2019 - 10:10pm
MartinSawicki's picture
Beta Tester
  JarvisMeier wrote:

You can also try NFS.

There are a lot of thing I can try.. I know. But I mainly use Infuse with the Plex Library .. there's nothing I can change with that share unfortunately.

March 29, 2019 - 3:58pm
moreorless0's picture

Version 6 did not help the buffering issues at all. 1080p and below stream fine. 4k buffers about every 2 minutes on this version. I have an android box sitting right beside it that doesn't buffer at all on the same content. This was not a problem until some months ago. Very dissapointed.

March 29, 2019 - 9:52pm
MartinSawicki's picture
Beta Tester

Yep! Same here.. VERY DISAPPOINTING indeed!
Weird that a couple of months ago everything loaded faster, ffwd/rwd faster and didnt buffer at all.
I’m even getting buffering with high bitrate 1080p now with Infuse 6! And if I play the same content through the Plex app or even through the Plex share on Infuse it loads instantly and plays flawlessly...

March 30, 2019 - 12:42am
MartinSawicki's picture
Beta Tester

oh and please set this topic to UNSOLVED !

March 30, 2019 - 4:44pm
moreorless0's picture

I agree with Martin. This is not at all solved.

March 31, 2019 - 2:00am
Magenof's picture
Kudos: 3

i think its your network dude, i use plex server aswel and everything plays as smooth as it did on v5.9. 4k movies with 70Mb/s, no stuttering.

March 31, 2019 - 7:06am
james's picture
Staff

For a bit of background, 6.0 includes a new caching method which allows it to accommodate issues with inconsistent Wi-FI much, much more reliably. This will help in many cases, but may not solve every issue.

We have a number of SMB related improvements in progress which will be available in the upcoming in the next few updates, and these should help improve streaming in other cases.

March 31, 2019 - 7:18am
MartinSawicki's picture
Beta Tester
  Magenof wrote:

i think its your network dude, i use plex server aswel and everything plays as smooth as it did on v5.9. 4k movies with 70Mb/s, no stuttering.

Dude, did you read my post?

If I play the same content through the plex share it all plays fine.. its the SMB shares that have issues. Even worse now than before in the last 5.9 update. 8 weeks ago I played bluray 80-90 mbit 4k HDR with no problem. And if I play those now with VLC I also dont have any issues. My wifi is 400+ mbits with speedtest Wink

Please read before giving worthless reply Wink

April 7, 2019 - 2:03pm
MaxPosKa's picture

Hello,

I have the same problems of buffering with 4K mkv with infuse pro 6.0.2.
I'm connected to my NAS with NFS protocol and i use Power Line Communication.

Before, with the same files and the same configuration, I had no problem on infuse 5...

It's possible to downgrade to infuse 5 pro (i have a lifetime suscription) ?

April 8, 2019 - 6:50pm
moreorless0's picture

I seem to be doing better on 6.02. Very little buffering now. My TV can stream and it doesn't buffer at all. I also have an android box that doesn't buffer at all. I loved this app at first, but now I wish I hadn't purchased it. Hopefully 6.03 helps.

MaxPosKa wrote:

Hello,

I have the same problems of buffering with 4K mkv with infuse pro 6.0.2.
I'm connected to my NAS with NFS protocol and i use Power Line Communication.

Before, with the same files and the same configuration, I had no problem on infuse 5...

It's possible to downgrade to infuse 5 pro (i have a lifetime suscription) ?

April 8, 2019 - 11:48pm
MartinSawicki's picture
Beta Tester

It is indeed slightly better on 6.02. But still far from what it used to be. I too had no issues whatsoever with 5 a couple of months ago..

April 9, 2019 - 2:55pm
MaxPosKa's picture
  moreorless0 wrote:

I seem to be doing better on 6.02. Very little buffering now. My TV can stream and it doesn't buffer at all. I also have an android box that doesn't buffer at all. I loved this app at first, but now I wish I hadn't purchased it. Hopefully 6.03 helps.

After rebooting my router, switch and reset my Power Line Network Adapater...I do not have buffering anymore in 4K mkv files (no buffering on a 2h movie)
So my problem was not related to Infuse but my network configuration.

April 9, 2019 - 9:50pm
MartinSawicki's picture
Beta Tester

It’s the SMB protocol that has issues with 4k and even high bitrate 1080p with Infuse. Your problem was related to NFS.

April 10, 2019 - 9:55am
james's picture
Staff

We have the SMB related improvements now available for beta testing via TestFlight.

If you're interested in trying a beta build of 6.0.3, drop me a note and I can get you set up.

April 10, 2019 - 1:16pm
MartinSawicki's picture
Beta Tester

Hi James. Yeah would be great..!

April 15, 2019 - 9:16am
MartinSawicki's picture
Beta Tester

Good news for ppl having issues with SMB. Upcoming update will be great Wink