53 posts / 0 new / Last post
  June 17, 2019 - 12:02pm
Webbjp02's picture
Kudos: 1

This is the exact problem I have. The playback is fine but when onscreen menus or subtitles are enabled I get the bad banding in dark scenes and black crush. I think it might be a tvOS 12.3 issue because I can't remember this problem before the update and it's extremely noticeable on any dark scene on a HDR movie. Here is what is happening when subtitles are introduced https://imgur.com/a/Bix7Nuw

June 17, 2019 - 12:42pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 52
  Webbjp02 wrote:

This is the exact problem I have. The playback is fine but when onscreen menus or subtitles are enabled I get the bad banding in dark scenes and black crush. I think it might be a tvOS 12.3 issue because I can't remember this problem before the update and it's extremely noticeable on any dark scene on a HDR movie. Here is what is happening when subtitles are introduced https://imgur.com/a/Bix7Nuw

Have you tried to 12.4 public beta?

June 17, 2019 - 1:05pm
dentifrice's picture
Kudos: 3
  Webbjp02 wrote:

this is EXACTLY my problem ! But I never tested with and without subtitles ! I will try this tonight

Can't wait to try 12.4 when it's out (I don't like installing beta)

June 17, 2019 - 1:15pm
Silergo's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 0
  Webbjp02 wrote:

Oh God, thanks for this post. Have the same problem on Sony TV too, but don't know why, because on some movies it's ok with color in HDR dark scenes. After disabled subtitles in settings, colors become normal again. The one who have the same problem - remember: subs should be disabled from the BEGINING, because infuse remembered if they were on. So if you already watch the movie with subs, turn off them in movie first and THEN restart it.

June 17, 2019 - 1:25pm
dentifrice's picture
  Silergo wrote:

Oh God, thanks for this post. Have the same problem on Sony TV too, but don't know why, because on some movies it's ok with color in HDR dark scenes. After disabled subtitles in settings, colors become normal again. The one who have the same problem - remember: subs should be disabled from the BEGINING, because infuse remembered if they on. So you must turn off them in movie and THEN restart it.

BTW, my Sony and my previous Vizio had the exact same problem. Probably not related to tv brand.

And like you, some movies don't have problem at all ! Sub or not. And some do.

June 17, 2019 - 3:53pm
dentifrice's picture

Guys ! I confirm ! The problem is just with subtitles ! And it doesn’t happen only when there is a subtitles displayed. If I start the movie I had a lot of trouble with subtitles ON, every dark scenes have problems EVEN when there is no text (no dialog).

When you disable the subtitles, no more problem in the same scenes !

And I confirm that you can’t just disable subtitles on the fly. You need to stop the stream and start it back to make it perfect.

So we have a thing here, some HDR files with subtitles ON make the dark scenes very bad. Disabling the subtitles and stop/start again the movie correct the problem!

And this only happens with Infuse. Now we need to know if it’s still happens with IOS 12.4

June 17, 2019 - 7:16pm
Webbjp02's picture
  dentifrice wrote:

Guys ! I confirm ! The problem is just with subtitles ! And it doesn’t happen only when there is a subtitles displayed. If I start the movie I had a lot of trouble with subtitles ON, every dark scenes have problems EVEN when there is no text (no dialog).

When you disable the subtitles, no more problem in the same scenes !

And I confirm that you can’t just disable subtitles on the fly. You need to stop the stream and start it back to make it perfect.

So we have a thing here, some HDR files with subtitles ON make the dark scenes very bad. Disabling the subtitles and stop/start again the movie correct the problem!

And this only happens with Infuse. Now we need to know if it’s still happens with IOS 12.4

Glad I narrowed down the issue. This has to be from Apple. I don't use the Plex app but checked for reference and the the problem exist there as well. Can anyone with a public beta for tvOS 12.4 confirm if the problem exist for them?

June 17, 2019 - 7:20pm
dentifrice's picture
  Webbjp02 wrote:

Glad I narrowed down the issue. This has to be from Apple. I don't use the Plex app but checked for reference and the the problem exist there as well. Can anyone with a public beta for tvOS 12.4 confirm if the problem exist for them?

In my case, I don't have the problem with the Plex app, only Infuse.

June 18, 2019 - 10:39am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,202

Thanks for the replies all.

As of today, we haven't managed to replicate this issue here on any of our setups (LG, Sony, and Samsung TVs - with or without subtitles) so there is some indication it's due to an Apple bug that is affecting a small group of users (perhaps due to minor hardware differences between Apple TV units?)

As noted above, this is something that may be resolved in the tvOS 12.4 update, though unfortunately we're not able to confirm this as we aren't seeing the original issue here.

If anyone else has a chance to update to the 12.4 public beta, we'd definitely be interested in seeing if this resolves the issue.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

June 22, 2019 - 7:51am
dentifrice's picture

Ok I'm trying IOS 12.4 beta to see if the problem is still there. I'll let you know.

June 22, 2019 - 8:21am
dentifrice's picture

Ok I did some tests and for far, with IOS 12.4, it seems to be fixed !

I'll test it again tonight just to be sure because right now there is a lot of lights in my room and it's difficult to judge. I'll report back again when it's dark !

June 22, 2019 - 9:56am
Silergo's picture
Beta Tester
  dentifrice wrote:

Ok I did some tests and for far, with IOS 12.4, it seems to be fixed !

I'll test it again tonight just to be sure because right now there is a lot of lights in my room and it's difficult to judge. I'll report back again when it's dark !

Draw the curtains Smile

June 22, 2019 - 10:30am
dentifrice's picture
  Silergo wrote:

Draw the curtains Smile

there are so transparent that the light comes in anyway Wink

Yes I know it's stupid but I don't feel arguing with wife today Wink

June 22, 2019 - 7:49pm
dentifrice's picture

I confirm, problem is gone with 12.4.

In fact, the problem is there if the progress bar is visible like when you pause and fast forward but as soon as it disrepair, blacks magically return to normal...

June 24, 2019 - 8:03am
Webbjp02's picture

I updated to 12.4 beta. Problem still exist for me.

June 24, 2019 - 8:23am
dentifrice's picture
  Webbjp02 wrote:

I updated to 12.4 beta. Problem still exist for me.

I watch some more movies yesterday and the problem was still present on them. So it looks like it fixes some and others don't.

June 24, 2019 - 8:42am
atomsapple's picture

Set subtitles off completely in Infuse settings, quit the app, and come back.

June 24, 2019 - 9:11am
dentifrice's picture

Yes we know that but I watch movies with subtitles.

June 24, 2019 - 10:45am
atomsapple's picture

Consider it an open issue directly related to subtitles. There is no workaround for your case.

Wait for Firecore to research and advise. We’ve had zero reproduce steps until now. So they finally have something to work with.

June 25, 2019 - 12:03pm
Webbjp02's picture

Apple tvOS 13 public beta released today and it fixed the problem!! No banding or color issues on menus or subtitles with all my HDR files. Problem solved for me.

June 25, 2019 - 1:56pm
dentifrice's picture
  Webbjp02 wrote:

Apple tvOS 13 public beta released today and it fixed the problem!! No banding or color issues on menus or subtitles with all my HDR files. Problem solved for me.

I'm totally trying this tonight !

June 25, 2019 - 3:10pm
dentifrice's picture

I just tried it. Still not perfect but way better. I would probably not notice it if I was not looking for it or compare with and without subtitles.