24 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  June 6, 2019 - 5:42pm
kaelaria's picture
Kudos: 0

I've read through every post and thread on this here and on other sites over the last couple days, solving this annoying problem. I'm on the latest everything, top of the line PC, great WiFi, aTV4k, etc. What I was running in to since moving up to 4k rips and remuxes, were buffering for the really high bitrate files and a 20-30 start delay for the smaller ones, even though both bitrates were well within all the limits of the network.

Long story short, it's the Windows SMB implementation. Yes I tried every possible setting and mode, everywhere, with no effect. All I had to do was setup a basic Plex server and connect to it's share, rather than the SMB shared folder. Instant fix, instant movie start, zero buffering of anything, smooth scrubbing. All over Google Wi-Fi 3 hops away.

If like me you simply store everything on a PC with huge internal storage, do yourself a favor and just switch from a shared folder to Plex. It makes everything better.

June 9, 2019 - 7:29pm
Illoyd21's picture

Can you explain this a little more please?

do you use plex? Or do you just use its share?

June 9, 2019 - 7:56pm
kaelaria's picture

I do not run a plex app. I use the connect to plex, in infuse. Instead of smb

June 10, 2019 - 8:02am
Dennis in FL's picture

I have something similar with MAC. I don't use Plex - I just share my iMac external hard drive. It is funny, because DVD movies play without a hitch, but short "home movies" I made with Apple iMovie (mp4) are constantly stopping with the whirling time out symbol. It takes maybe 20 seconds to start and the movies don't play through from beginning to end without pausing to buffer. Even short 2 minute movies. It is worse if my desktop is doing something and using CPU time. It isn't just 4K movies...it is all home movies. Even ones directly from my camera.

I can upload the same videos to You Tube and they play without a hitch on the Apple TV

I also have a top of the line iMac, google WiFi, apple TV4k, and an LG 4K OLED.

I'm trying exporting video from Adobe Lighroom - if it doesn't work, I'll try Plex (not sure I understand what you did)

June 10, 2019 - 1:14pm
Illoyd21's picture

Thats why i asked. I think he has created a flex server with his files, and then added the share to infuse. Not 100% sure tho

June 10, 2019 - 1:29pm
kaelaria's picture

Yes, that's what I said.

June 10, 2019 - 1:30pm
kaelaria's picture

Real simple:
Install plex server on your computer.
Use connect to Plex, in infuse.
Done.

June 10, 2019 - 1:33pm
Dennis in FL's picture

I was just going to read up on Plex (I have it installed but was not a fan of the user friendliness). I was thinking of only using Plex for my troubled videos (H.264 home videos).

June 10, 2019 - 1:35pm
Illoyd21's picture

If you use it this way does infuse just play the video, there isnt any conversion or anything happening?

June 10, 2019 - 1:35pm
kaelaria's picture

Guys...I don't know how to make this simpler. YOU DON'T USE THE PLEX APP. You never see it, or the interface. it simply runs to be a share service. Everything is the same, using infuse.

June 10, 2019 - 2:01pm
wilk0076's picture
Kudos: 39

Glad to hear you fixed the issue with the install of Plex. I understand your description - you're using the Plex server installation simply to serve up the files to the Infuse client.

I'm wondering if a lightweight FTP server (like Filezilla) could have also solved your problem.

June 10, 2019 - 2:40pm
kaelaria's picture

I have no need to complicate it further. Installed, clicked a few settings, never have to see it again.

June 11, 2019 - 1:50am
Dennis in FL's picture

OK...I tried Plex on a test - just my short home videos

BEFORE: Constant pauses to refresh buffer. Maybe 30 second wait to start. Totally unwatchable. The family drifts off to other rooms.
AFTER: Non stop video in all but one case. Most videos started immediately and there was no stoppage. One video required a 20 second stoppage initially. And one video stopped once and after buffering completed with no interruption. The family stays.

Today I'll test it again and also add a couple of DVD/Blu Rays to the mix.

Thanks for the tip kaelaria.

PS: I wasn't thinking of using the PLEX app....I had read somewhere the user interface suffers when using Plex...may be something else Im thinking of. The home movies came out better with a picture to help.

June 11, 2019 - 1:58am
kaelaria's picture

Welcome

June 11, 2019 - 3:54am
Dennis in FL's picture

By the way, do you have background tasks running like Apple Time Machine ?

June 11, 2019 - 4:57am
kaelaria's picture

No and I said I’m PC

June 11, 2019 - 6:06am
Anger's picture

Hallo guys,
I have the same problem with 1:1 copy of my 4K BD: delayed start and 20 seconds buffering stop every 40 seconds of movie. I don't have any problem watching the same contents with Egreat A5. My configuration: Fritz!Box 7530 router (FTTH 1Gbps/300Mbps), gigabit wired lan from the router to ATV4K. 8TB HD SATAIII in a USB 3.0 cabinet connected to the USB 3.0 router port. Fritz!NAS works in smb and ftp.

June 11, 2019 - 7:55am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 28
  Anger wrote:

Hallo guys,
I have the same problem with 1:1 copy of my 4K BD: delayed start and 20 seconds buffering stop every 40 seconds of movie. I don't have any problem watching the same contents with Egreat A5. My configuration: Fritz!Box 7530 router (FTTH 1Gbps/300Mbps), gigabit wired lan from the router to ATV4K. 8TB HD SATAIII in a USB 3.0 cabinet connected to the USB 3.0 router port. Fritz!NAS works in smb and ftp.

Your bottleneck is probably the USB connection to your drive on the router. I had the same problem with large rips when connecting a USB drive to my router. I moved to a dedicated synology NAS and all my problems went away. The processor on the router just wasn’t fast enough to handle the throughput.

June 11, 2019 - 8:19am
Anger's picture

Thanks for your answer. That’s what I thought at first glance, but with Egreat A5, which is an Android 5.1 Media Box, streaming is smoother. Just few minutes ago I modified my share settings from SMB auto to SMB3 and things improved but not as good as Egreat. I’d really like to reach the same quality level and use only ATV4K for all my needs without buying another piece of hardware. Does the upnp protocol guarantee smoother streaming compared to smb?

June 11, 2019 - 8:29am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,099

It looks like the Fritzbox only supports SMB1, which is quite a bit slower than SMB2/SMB3.

https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-75...

You may try FTP, which could be a bit faster.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

June 11, 2019 - 8:29am
Illoyd21's picture

Has anyone tried the ftp solution higher up thread? If that worked it would be good

July 4, 2019 - 1:12am
jameskeesh's picture

Hi,
the issue may be the way your movies are encoded. To allow a fast start (not reading the whole file or a large part of it) you need to organise the mp4 container to optimise the streaming. you can give it a try with ffmpeg command that does NOT re-encode the movie:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v copy -c:a copy -movflags +faststart output.mp4
  July 7, 2019 - 9:27am
Anger's picture

Problem solved: I switched the router usb interface from 3.0 to 2.0 and now it works like a charm. Probably something couldn’t manage the bigger data flow.

July 7, 2019 - 9:29am
Anger's picture
  jameskeesh wrote:

Hi,
the issue may be the way your movies are encoded. To allow a fast start (not reading the whole file or a large part of it) you need to organise the mp4 container to optimise the streaming. you can give it a try with ffmpeg command that does NOT re-encode the movie:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v copy -c:a copy -movflags +faststart output.mp4

It happened also with ISO files. Anyway, I’ve found the solution to my issue, you might want to read about it just above. Thanks for your help.