25 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  July 12, 2019 - 10:39pm
XxZombieMedicxX's picture
Kudos: 1

I am unable to stream 4K movies from my NAS to an AppleTV 4K over WiFi. I have tried multiple 4K files and the experience is the same; the movies take extra long to start and they stop and buffer after less than a minute of playtime. I have troubleshooted and determined WiFI is not the problem. I have a high-end AC WiFi router that delivers >45MBps to the room I am attempting to stream to. My MacBook Pro in the same room as the 4K AppleTV streams 4K files instantly and flawlessly with zero buffering using VLC Player and Quicktime player. My network monitor shows that streaming a 4K movie from my NAS does not exceed 5MBps, well below my bandwidth capacity.

Why is Infuse not able to stream 4K MKV files? These files range in size from 10GB to 60GB. It doesn't make sense that my MacBook can stream just fine but Infuse on the AppleTV cannot.

Any suggestions?

July 12, 2019 - 11:00pm
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 371

First, what version of Infuse are you running?

Second, what protocol are you using to connect to your share? SMB, (if SMB what level, 1,2,3,Auto?), FTP, DLNA?

Third, strictly for troubleshooting, could you connect with an Ethernet cable and see if it still has buffering issues?

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

July 12, 2019 - 11:29pm

I’m running the latest version of Infuse Pro. I don’t know what SMB version the NAS uses. My 4K AppleTV connected via gigabit ethernet in the downstairs plays the same 4K movies flawlessly. The downstairs AppleTV isn’t connected to a 4K TV, however. It’s just 1080p. Ever since I got a 4K TV the whole experience has become very laggy and not smooth like it is on a 1080p TV. Not just Infuse, the TVos interface and all apps are laggy which is disappointing.

It still makes no sense why my MacBook can stream 4K no problem upstairs, but the AppleTV with Infuse can’t. I have a 100ft ethernet cable I’m gonna run up the stairs just for troubleshooting purposes and see what happens. I’m new to 4K and honestly from what I’ve experienced so far, I’m not blown away. I don’t see much difference from a quality 1080p source and 4K. All my 1080p content actually looks better on the new 4K TV than it did on the old 1080p TV.

July 12, 2019 - 11:38pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  XxZombieMedicxX wrote:

I’m running the latest version of Infuse Pro. I don’t know what SMB version the NAS uses. My 4K AppleTV connected via gigabit ethernet in the downstairs plays the same 4K movies flawlessly. The downstairs AppleTV isn’t connected to a 4K TV, however. It’s just 1080p. Ever since I got a 4K TV the whole experience has become very laggy and not smooth like it is on a 1080p TV. Not just Infuse, the TVos interface and all apps are laggy which is disappointing.

It still makes no sense why my MacBook can stream 4K no problem upstairs, but the AppleTV with Infuse can’t. I have a 100ft ethernet cable I’m gonna run up the stairs just for troubleshooting purposes and see what happens. I’m new to 4K and honestly from what I’ve experienced so far, I’m not blown away. I don’t see much difference from a quality 1080p source and 4K. All my 1080p content actually looks better on the new 4K TV than it did on the old 1080p TV.

So you're running 6.1.2 version of Infuse, just to verify.

Also, if you're getting the same file to play back with Infuse connected via Ethernet to a different TV then the issue isn't Infuse. It sounds like somewhere in your network settings or protocol settings you're having issues. Are both of your ATVs logged into the same Apple account? If so they should be syncing their settings but it wouldn't hurt to check the network settings in Infuse on both.

You can also check in the Share settings in Infuse to see what version of SMB you're using.

July 13, 2019 - 5:20pm
elchupete's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 85

I assume the wifi connection is the issue. Is it 2.4 or 5 GHz ? How fast is it (how much Mbit/s?)

July 13, 2019 - 8:16pm

The WiFi is 5ghz pulling 45MBps in the room in question. The AppleTV reads signal strength as 4 out of 5 bars. I’m gonna run a cat6 cable to this room and be done with it. I’m just perplexed as to why my MacBook Pro in the same room can stream the 4K files without any hiccup, yet the AppleTV can’t.

July 13, 2019 - 8:28pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  XxZombieMedicxX wrote:

The WiFi is 5ghz pulling 45MBps in the room in question. The AppleTV reads signal strength as 4 out of 5 bars. I’m gonna run a cat6 cable to this room and be done with it. I’m just perplexed as to why my MacBook Pro in the same room can stream the 4K files without any hiccup, yet the AppleTV can’t.

WiFi is about 80% voo-doo and the variables are often unseen. Have you tried moving the ATV to see if location could help? Sometimes even a few inches can make a world of difference. Different shelf or on one side or the other of another piece of electronics can often fix problems.

I will say, if you can run an Ethernet cable then that by far is going to be the most stable. I've see a rock solid WiFi connection go totally bad by closing a door in an adjoining room so it's not always obvious as to what affects wireless signals.

Also as I said above the protocol could be the problem too. SMB 3 can cause buffering issues due to added security to each packet.

July 14, 2019 - 7:20am
zemun2's picture
Kudos: 2

Just an FYI.

I had major issues with my LG SJ7 sound bar interfering with wifi on Apple TV.

July 14, 2019 - 8:11am
elchupete's picture
Beta Tester

45 Mbps gives you 5.63 MB/s. which for most 4K movies is not enough. In fact its slower than a 100Mbs Ethernet connection

July 14, 2019 - 8:17am

The WiFI is pulling 45MB/s, not Mb/s on my MacBook Pro in same room. This is from a local network monitor. My Internet speed test on the AppleTV is consistent at 250-300Mb/s which equals >31MB/s. This is from a gigabit Internet connection.

July 14, 2019 - 8:36am
elchupete's picture
Beta Tester

Ahh OK so its abt. 360 Mbps which also is not much for a 802.11ac WLAN enabled aTV 4K. My 5GHz devices pull about 750 Mbps in average from Wifi.
Are there a lot other Wifis around, that communicate on the same or nearby channels?
However 45MB/s should be more than enough to stream 4K, but I 've also connected the aTV via 1GB Ethernet in order to prevent buffering

July 14, 2019 - 10:20am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 48

If it works connected via Ethernet then it’s time to start looking at your wifi. More specifically some sort of high end mesh wifi with either wireless or wired backhaul.

July 14, 2019 - 10:32am
NC Bullseye's picture

Okay, I'll post this one more time since it may have been overlooked in the earlier posts.

Check the protocol being used to connect to the share.

SMB can cause exactly your symptoms and can be corrected without having to run cables or buy new wifi equipment.

https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles...

July 17, 2019 - 6:27pm
munpip214's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 114

Two more explanations I can offer. Macbook Pro is 3x3 MIMO (Max 1.3Gbps) wireless while iPhones and Apple TV is 2x2MIMO (867Mbps). So you are already cutting speed by 1/3. That third channel being used by the macbook might be less congested that the other two when streaming to the ATV. Also macbook pro has much better antenna and can pick up data with a smaller signal strength. Even 10' farther from the router in the same room could drop it a speed level (Mod/Cod).

Here's a good site explaining speeds and inefficiencies of wifi:
https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

In general, though, not many people have been able to make 4K & Wifi work consistently and they would tell you not to bother and just go to Ethernet.

Apple TV 4, Apple TV 3, iPhone Xs, iMac 5k, iPad Pro, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Synology DS916+

July 18, 2019 - 12:13am
Sbendesen's picture
Kudos: 0

I had the same problems.. I am using Google Wifi and a Synology DS218+ NAS.,The signal strength etc. is perfect.. But still the 4K movies took a long time time start, had to buffer during playback and if I wanted to fast forward in a movie it took ages to resume playing the movie. The distance from the Router to the Apple Tv is only 5 meters, and there are no walls between.

I had no problem streaming 4K through Netflix and Itunes store, so i guess the speed of the wifi is no problem.

I resolved the problem by taking one of the Google Wifi units and put a cable between the unit and the Apple TV 4K. Now it all runs smooth, the buffer problems are gone, and movie starts up fast and there are no problems with fast forwarding in the movies.. The connection from the first Google Wifi accespoint is still wireless to the accespoint that i cabled to the Apple Tv... Go figure! And then i configured the Infuse app to run SMB1.

I don't know if the above info will help you, but my guess is that a MESH network/cable is the only solution..

July 18, 2019 - 7:41am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 48
  Sbendesen wrote:

I had the same problems.. I am using Google Wifi and a Synology DS218+ NAS.,The signal strength etc. is perfect.. But still the 4K movies took a long time time start, had to buffer during playback and if I wanted to fast forward in a movie it took ages to resume playing the movie. The distance from the Router to the Apple Tv is only 5 meters, and there are no walls between.

I had no problem streaming 4K through Netflix and Itunes store, so i guess the speed of the wifi is no problem.

I resolved the problem by taking one of the Google Wifi units and put a cable between the unit and the Apple TV 4K. Now it all runs smooth, the buffer problems are gone, and movie starts up fast and there are no problems with fast forwarding in the movies.. The connection from the first Google Wifi accespoint is still wireless to the accespoint that i cabled to the Apple Tv... Go figure! And then i configured the Infuse app to run SMB1.

I don't know if the above info will help you, but my guess is that a MESH network/cable is the only solution..

Every mesh system is different. 4K Netflix uses less bandwidth than a 4K movie due to compression and other factors. The best way to determine Wi-Fi bandwidth is to run a local speed test between a client device and the NAS using iperf3. This will give you real world data transfer rates.

July 18, 2019 - 8:33am
munpip214's picture
Beta Tester

Google WiFi (and most mesh) caps out at 867Mbps, because it’s only 2x2. Other Infuse members have not had good luck with it + Infuse. A 4K Blu-ray can be up to 128Mbps, while streaming services are 25-35Mbps.

Apple TV 4, Apple TV 3, iPhone Xs, iMac 5k, iPad Pro, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Synology DS916+

July 21, 2019 - 9:46am

Good point. That could have been some of the problem.

munpip214 wrote:

Two more explanations I can offer. Macbook Pro is 3x3 MIMO (Max 1.3Gbps) wireless while iPhones and Apple TV is 2x2MIMO (867Mbps). So you are already cutting speed by 1/3. That third channel being used by the macbook might be less congested that the other two when streaming to the ATV. Also macbook pro has much better antenna and can pick up data with a smaller signal strength. Even 10' farther from the router in the same room could drop it a speed level (Mod/Cod).

Here's a good site explaining speeds and inefficiencies of wifi:
https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

In general, though, not many people have been able to make 4K & Wifi work consistently and they would tell you not to bother and just go to Ethernet.

July 21, 2019 - 9:48am

Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback. I dropped a cat 6 cable from my gigabit switch to the 2nd floor bedroom AppleTV and problem solved Smile

July 23, 2019 - 7:15am
gggplaya's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 12

Running ethernet is not feasible for everyone. My late suggestion is to do what I do for 1 bedroom and that's use a wifi bridge. I have all ASUS equipment in my house, which has great software and use an asus router with 4x4 MIMO to connect to the main router with 4x4 MIMO using wireless AC. Which then acts as an ethernet bridge to my computer and ATV. I get full 100+MB/s speed from my gigabit NAS, even with a low wireless AC signal (1 bar).

[img] http://www.softwaresamurai.org/wp-content/uplo... [/img]

July 23, 2019 - 7:38am

Im not impressed by 4K. It’s no where near the dramatic quality difference when the jump was made from DVD to BluRay. Sure, you can tell a slight difference in details when looking real close, but honestly if I were to do a side by side comparison of a 4K file and 1080p file there is a good chance I couldn’t tell the difference. Especially if comparing animated movies.

With that being said, I am going to change the AppleTV 4K back to 1080p output for better performance with the UI and still great viewing. As I mentioned previously, my 1080p content looks noticeably better on the new LG 4K display through upscaling. I am very impressed by the LG TV.

I would be remiss if I didn’t point out the obvious with 4K which is the majority of content marketed as 4K isn’t true 4K. It’s a 2K resolution which is even closer to 1080p. Although 4K films are shot in 4K, they are rendered by the studios in 2K resolution.

July 23, 2019 - 7:51am
gggplaya's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 12

Correct, also depending on where you get your "4K" video, the bitrate is so low, you're not much better off than 1080p anyways. I buy my true 4k videos on blu ray and check to verify that they are in fact filmed and final rendered in 4k before i purchase. I rip them and leave them in their raw high bitrate format. Unfortunately these take up like 40GB for each video. Even then the quality difference is noticeable to me, but not to anyone else in my family. For most people, you would have to look at both movies side by side to tell the difference. In the end, it's just not worth it for 4k unless you have a huge tv or projector. My 55" tv is not large enough to really notice the difference.

July 23, 2019 - 8:19am

I’m gonna delete the ten or so 4K files and keep downloading and watching in 1080p. The 4K file of Saving Private Ryan is 90GB since it’s an almost 3hr movie. At say 2GB per 1080p movie, that’s 45 movies that could occupy the same storage space.

July 23, 2019 - 10:05am
munpip214's picture
Beta Tester

It sounds like you don’t really need 4K then. I personally would say there is a significant difference between a compressed 2GB HD and full 90GB 4K. You are losing out on audio quality and all notion of HDR too. Upscaling does do a lot, but you would have better luck upscaling a 30GB Blu-ray. Storage space shouldn’t be your motivation for not having higher quality as disks are so cheap (prime day had 10TB for ~$200) but for some, sure it can be.

July 23, 2019 - 1:24pm

Everyone has their own preference with viewing. I’m not a huge movie watcher by any means and 1080p is good enough. I listen through the built in TV speakers so the Dobly Atmos and other sound schemes doesn’t do anything for me. I agree you can notice some artifact in the small file size 1080p movies obtained through BitTorrent, especially in darker scenes. However, the movies I download from iTunes and strip the DRM protection from to stream via Infuse have zero artifact and an average file size of 3-4GB. My early 4K experience so far doesn’t have me convinced the small viewing quality gain and extra storage space required is worth it. Especially when I’m not a cinephile anyway.