6 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  August 5, 2019 - 1:18pm
PatrickStar's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 3

Hello,

I am just curious because in iOS 13 we will finally be able to plug in an external disks for eg. an SSD using an iPad with USB-C and acces it using the Files app. Will we, after iOS 13 is released, then be able to play files directly from the SSD without the need to first copy it into Infuse? Smile

I am currently using iOS 13 public beta 4 on my iPad Pro but for now there does not seem to be a way to play files directly from the SSD (I guess Infuse has to make some adjustments). There is at least the possibility to copy the file into Infuse but this does not seem to work for me at the moment.

Cheers
Patrick

August 5, 2019 - 3:13pm
ravenofdoom's picture
Kudos: 0

Seconding this question. Curious to know whether iOS13 / iPad OS (13) allows apps to read/playback files on external storage DIRECTLY (without having to copy the file into the local storage/Infuse container

August 7, 2019 - 2:57pm
ravenofdoom's picture

So I downloaded the iPad OS 13 Beta 4 and tested out some of the functionality of the "Files" app that comes standard.

When I copied a file from my NAS to a newly created folder on either the iPad or within the JumpDrive attached via USB, it doesn't allow "open-in" / direct playback within most apps you would expect (including Infuse). It will only play within the native player in the Files app, which means that it only works for limited file formats like m4v and will not give any options to .MKV files aside from copying it into the container folder of a different app (i.e. Infuse)... so you're stuck moving around most files from the JumpDrive back onto the container folder for infuse if you're attempting to use the native Files app in iOS13. In this regard, the Files app, even in iOS 13, is fairly hobbled unless you're attempting to read from the USB drive a super standard file like a .mp3, .jpg, or a .m4v format (you also cannot change the file-name extensions).

The only way I see this working to avoid copying files back and forth is if there's some API that is developed within a third party app such as infuse that allows it to directly read from what is recognized in the Files app (i.e. the JumpDrive) so that it plays directly within the app.

So I guess this is the remaining question to Infuse Devs... is there / are you planning on embedding an API that allows direct access of iOS 13 file locations, including USB locations, for direct playback?

August 8, 2019 - 7:42am
Carlos51's picture

Hi Patrick,
According to this thread:
https://firecore.com/forum/topic/23456
Beta 5 solved it. I am not in the beta program so can you try it?
Carlos

Carlos

August 12, 2019 - 11:51am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,113

We're currently looking into the options we have available here for accessing USB drives in iOS 13, and hope to have more news soon.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

August 13, 2019 - 1:08am
PatrickStar's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 3

Thanks James Smile

@Carlos51 I tried it but the copy to Infuse function is not always available for some reason and if I press it nothing happens. 😞

Cheers