5 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  September 11, 2019 - 3:47pm
rna1283's picture
Kudos: 0

I have a Harman Kardon AVR 1610S hooked up to an LG E7 OLED via Optical. My issue is with DTS playback specifically. I have a number of files on my PLEX server that are encoded with DTS sound. When I play them via my TV's internal PLEX app they all play back as DTS and my AVR display shows this. Whenever I play them via Infuse, my AVR displays DOLBY DIGITAL.

I previously thought this was normal as I had read numerous times that the ATV does not support DTS. But a couple days ago I saw a post at a different board from someone claiming that Infuse supports DTS now, even through the ATV, and can passthrough DTS. I've tried setting my ATV audio to Auto but when I play DTS files my AVR continues to display DOLBY DIGITAL. Is this normal? Is my AVR just displaying Dolby even though it's playing DTS because Infuse is sending it LPCM? Apologies if none of this makes sense, I am very much an amateur when it comes to the technical elements of sound output.

Basically, I just want to know if it's possible for my AVR to ever display DTS if I'm watching a DTS encoded file via Infuse on my ATV4K. And if it is, how do I fix my setup to get it?

Thanks to anyone who can offer any help!

September 11, 2019 - 8:27pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 43

The Apple TV does not support DTS. The person on the other board doesn’t know what they’re talking about. If you had an HDMI sound bar or receiver the Apple TV and infuse can convert DTS to PCM which is pretty much bit to bit identical.

September 12, 2019 - 1:09am
bl4ck's picture
Kudos: 1

If you saying your signal to avr input is DD this mean you have wrong setting in Setting > Video and Audio > Audio format > Off don't change signal. (you should select the “Best Quality Available” option)

"I just want to know if it's possible for my AVR to ever display DTS if I'm watching a DTS encoded file"
No this is not possible signal always will be display as multich pcm if you set good setting ina atv video and sound.

September 12, 2019 - 8:28am
rna1283's picture
Kudos: 0

Thank you both for your answers!

So, just to be sure I'm not misunderstanding anything, Jarvis, you're saying that there is no way that I will ever be able to see (to put it in the least technical/simplest terms) the words DTS pop up on my AVR if I am watching at DTS encoded file via my ATV, correct? At best, Infuse will be able to convert the DTS audio into LPCM which is basically the same, no real loss of sound quality. How do I know that I'm getting LPCM? Would the AVR say LPCM? Is it possible that when I'm seeing Dolby Digital on the screen I'm actually getting an LPCM signal? Is there a way I can find out what signal my AVR is receiving aside from what it's telling me on the display?

bl4ck, I have my ATV set up exactly as you say. It's on OFF not DD 5.1 or Stereo. So that isn't the issue in this case. I wish it was that easy!

September 12, 2019 - 9:06am
bl4ck's picture
Kudos: 1

Your avr should show input signal as multich pcm or lpcm name depend of avr.

" Is it possible that when I'm seeing Dolby Digital on the screen I'm actually getting an LPCM signal?"
yes my onkyo can mux input signal from multich pcm to dd ,dts:x, thx, stereo and few more.

" Is there a way I can find out what signal my AVR is
receiving aside from what it's telling me on the display? "
Check manual.

Where is connected atv?