9 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  October 7, 2019 - 8:00am
Terbium's picture
Kudos: 2

Hello everyone,

I’ve been using infuse for around the last year and im wandering if anyone can help me troubleshoot a problem thats been plaguing me since day one.

In short, im getting a very subtle lip sync problem when trying to watch some videos. I think the audio must be behind because i cant seem to fix it using delay setting. The files it happens with are typically large 4K files but ive had it happen with smaller 1080 files. All the files are MKV and its happened when the audio codec is ac3 and other formats like DTS/TrueHD etc. Basically, what im trying to say is it can happen both when the audio stream is transcoded and when its not transcoded. As i said, the error is only very small but once aware of it, its incredibly frustrating.

Before i go further let me explain my setup. Its very simple. I have a Sony XF9005 television which outputs over HDMI to a Sonos beam setup in 5.1. The appleTV is plugged into the TV over HDMI And in the apple tv setting i have the audio output set to dolby digital 5.1.

Tbh, ive done a massive amount of troubleshooting and ruled out so many things. I wont list everything Ive done but the biggest evidence this could be a problem with the app is that I literally have no problems with lip sync except when using infuse - this is across not just other apps on the apple TV but other inputs such as digital television etc. Im actually using infuse to connect to my plex library and when i view files directly in the plex app they play fine. I basically just use plex now due to this issue but i love the infuse app and just wish this problem could be fixed.

Can anyone help? Im wandering if the is widespread but many people just arent bothered because it is rather subtle. But its definitely there and watching the same file in both infuse and another app like plex makes it incredibly obvious.

October 7, 2019 - 11:05am
munpip214's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 120
  Terbium wrote:

Hello everyone,

I’ve been using infuse for around the last year and im wandering if anyone can help me troubleshoot a problem thats been plaguing me since day one.

In short, im getting a very subtle lip sync problem when trying to watch some videos. I think the audio must be behind because i cant seem to fix it using delay setting. The files it happens with are typically large 4K files but ive had it happen with smaller 1080 files. All the files are MKV and its happened when the audio codec is ac3 and other formats like DTS/TrueHD etc. Basically, what im trying to say is it can happen both when the audio stream is transcoded and when its not transcoded. As i said, the error is only very small but once aware of it, its incredibly frustrating.

Before i go further let me explain my setup. Its very simple. I have a Sony XF9005 television which outputs over HDMI to a Sonos beam setup in 5.1. The appleTV is plugged into the TV over HDMI And in the apple tv setting i have the audio output set to dolby digital 5.1.

Tbh, ive done a massive amount of troubleshooting and ruled out so many things. I wont list everything Ive done but the biggest evidence this could be a problem with the app is that I literally have no problems with lip sync except when using infuse - this is across not just other apps on the apple TV but other inputs such as digital television etc. Im actually using infuse to connect to my plex library and when i view files directly in the plex app they play fine. I basically just use plex now due to this issue but i love the infuse app and just wish this problem could be fixed.

Can anyone help? Im wandering if the is widespread but many people just arent bothered because it is rather subtle. But its definitely there and watching the same file in both infuse and another app like plex makes it incredibly obvious.

You can try Apple TV new audio sync:
https://www.imore.com/how-set-and-use-wireless...

Also it could be a problem with the movies themselves. I know I have some movies that have real audio problems, but it's not a sync problem, just bad mixing.

Apple TV 4, Apple TV 3, iPhone Xs, iMac 5k, iPad Pro, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Synology DS916+

October 8, 2019 - 4:50am
Terbium's picture

Thanks for the help but as is I said, its really just a problem with the infuse app. Ive noticed that in at least one of the release notes there has been a mention of improved audio sync with ac3 files. Im wandering whether this is somehow related.

October 8, 2019 - 9:05am
munpip214's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 120

Next time you notice a problem try to look up the details on the audio. If we find a pattern then maybe we can fix something. You can use an app like Media Info to give you exact specs on the audio/video.

Apple TV 4, Apple TV 3, iPhone Xs, iMac 5k, iPad Pro, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Synology DS916+

October 8, 2019 - 9:32am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 52

Additionally if these are movies you are converting/encoding yourself make sure you are using the latest versions for all of your software. Old encoders have been known to cause issues.

December 1, 2019 - 6:04am
Terbium's picture

I just thought id provide a little update on this.

As mentioned before, due to the issue, which ill say again is very very subtle but still off putting, ive been using plex on the apple tv.

Plex still had a very slight problem but so small i could forget about it most of the time.

However, today i tried the enhanced video player that plex users can access if they have a pass. Its literally the first time in a year ive finally been able to watch all films 100% perfectly with no issue at all. I feel like ive found the holy grail! Apparently the key difference when using the enhanced player is that it uses direct play a lot more. But i thought this was strange because isnt that how infuse functions?

This is probably a pointless post but i just thought id share it. Whatever plex enhanced video player is doing differently to infuse has solved my problems. Maybe it can be looked into by the devs. I hope i can use infuse again one day but for now this is my solution.

December 2, 2019 - 1:12pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,206

Sorry for the trouble.

Do you find this is consistent throughout the movie, or does it get worse as time goes on?

Any chance you'd be able to send in one of the problematic files for us to review?

https://upload.firecore.com

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

December 2, 2019 - 3:25pm
Terbium's picture

Tbh its happening with virtually all files so im not really sure theres any point uploading anything.

The lip sync problem is very very subtle (most of the time at least), with the audio slightly trailing the video. My partner cant even really notice it but for me its very off putting. Originally i thought it was a limitation of my hardware: with the delay being caused by a mixture if the TV passthrough and sonos wireless setup. However, plex was noticeably better and streaming services like netflix, prime, iplayer were perfect. Then i tried the enhanced player from plex and thats perfect now as well. Its so frustrating because i love infuse and i think it provides a better picture quality than plex. Im guessing something fundamental under the hood is just causing a slight delay (possibly just with my setup but i cant imagine why).

December 5, 2019 - 5:24am
quartermain's picture
Kudos: 0

Is there any major plus point for Infuse over say MrMC? I had lipsync problems with local files from the first day I bought an Apple TV but since MrMC can adjust the audio/video in both directions it was just easier to give up on Infuse and use MrMC for all local files.