46 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  October 8, 2019 - 5:49pm
jrollo51876's picture
Kudos: 0

I have Infuse Pro 6 and I’m getting a lot of buffering when viewing 4K movies on my Apple TV 4K. I have an internet speed of 100mb/s. I’m not sure what the issue is. Anyone else having the same issue?

October 9, 2019 - 9:22am
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 371

Welcome to the forum!

First, unless you're streaming away from home or via a remotely located storage like a cloud drive your internet speed isn't what determines streaming quality. Usually it's either a marginal WiFi connection or equipment that can't handle the network speeds needed for some high bit rate files. Are you using WiFi or Ethernet? What kind of file? x265 HEVC, high bit rate, mp4, mkv, etc. How are you connected? SMB, FTP, DLNA, etc?

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

October 9, 2019 - 9:57am
jrollo51876's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

First, unless you're streaming away from home or via a remotely located storage like a cloud drive your internet speed isn't what determines streaming quality. Usually it's either a marginal WiFi connection or equipment that can't handle the network speeds needed for some high bit rate files. Are you using WiFi or Ethernet? What kind of file? x265 HEVC, high bit rate, mp4, mkv, etc. How are you connected? SMB, FTP, DLNA, etc?

The computer that has the external hard drive connected to it is using WiFi (doesn't have an Ethernet port), my apple tv is connected via Ethernet. The files that are giving me trouble are HEVC. I'm not sure about your last question (SMB, FTP, DLNA). How would I figure that out?

October 9, 2019 - 10:26am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 48

If your computer is on wifi then that’s the problem. Wifi bandwidth is shared amongst all the clients connecting.

October 9, 2019 - 11:10am
NC Bullseye's picture
  JarvisMeier wrote:

If your computer is on wifi then that’s the problem. Wifi bandwidth is shared amongst all the clients connecting.

Not necessarily, I'm running an iMac wirelessly and it serves my 4K video files without a hitch. If the op has a less than optimal wireless link then that may be the issue but it's not a given that wireless servers can't stream 4k high bit rate files.

October 9, 2019 - 11:18am
NC Bullseye's picture
  jrollo51876 wrote:

The computer that has the external hard drive connected to it is using WiFi (doesn't have an Ethernet port), my apple tv is connected via Ethernet. The files that are giving me trouble are HEVC. I'm not sure about your last question (SMB, FTP, DLNA). How would I figure that out?

To determine what protocol you're using go to Settings > Shares > Click on your "Saved Share" that has your files > then Click on "Edit Share"

The protocol you're using will be just below the name. If you're using SMB then click on "Advanced" and the SMB version should be on "Auto"

October 9, 2019 - 4:18pm
jrollo51876's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

To determine what protocol you're using go to Settings > Shares > Click on your "Saved Share" that has your files > then Click on "Edit Share"

The protocol you're using will be just below the name. If you're using SMB then click on "Advanced" and the SMB version should be on "Auto"

Thanks for your help! Looking at my share it says the protocol is SMB and it’s on Auto.

October 9, 2019 - 4:53pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  jrollo51876 wrote:

Thanks for your help! Looking at my share it says the protocol is SMB and it’s on Auto.

A couple of tests to see if you can negate some of the delay, first change the SMB from Auto to "2" and save. If that doesn't work, try changing it to "Legacy" . A majority of the time Auto is spot on but a few setups work better with either "2" or "Legacy". If neither works better, go ahead and return the setting to Auto. Don't forget to save each time you change.

October 9, 2019 - 6:18pm
jrollo51876's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

A couple of tests to see if you can negate some of the delay, first change the SMB from Auto to "2" and save. If that doesn't work, try changing it to "Legacy" . A majority of the time Auto is spot on but a few setups work better with either "2" or "Legacy". If neither works better, go ahead and return the setting to Auto. Don't forget to save each time you change.

When I changed it to “2,” it kept giving me an error when I’d go to play a movie. On “legacy,” the buffering was just as bad as auto.

October 9, 2019 - 6:30pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester

I’m still going with bad wifi. I’d recommend buying a USB-C Or regular USB Ethernet adapter for your computer and connecting with that.

October 9, 2019 - 7:42pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  jrollo51876 wrote:

When I changed it to “2,” it kept giving me an error when I’d go to play a movie. On “legacy,” the buffering was just as bad as auto.

Well, best to go back to Auto then. No harm in trying free fixes. How close is your computer to the wireless router? Same room or separated by multiple walls? Also, what band are you using? 2.4 or 5Ghz?

October 9, 2019 - 8:00pm
jrollo51876's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

Well, best to go back to Auto then. No harm in trying free fixes. How close is your computer to the wireless router? Same room or separated by multiple walls? Also, what band are you using? 2.4 or 5Ghz?

It’s literally right next to the router in our entertainment center. Since it’s so close I have it on 5Ghz.

October 9, 2019 - 8:31pm
NC Bullseye's picture

That should work being that close. Can you describe what you mean by buffering? Is it taking a while to start and playing ok after? Is it pausing every so often during playback? What kind of computer?

October 9, 2019 - 8:46pm
jrollo51876's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

That should work being that close. Can you describe what you mean by buffering? Is it taking a while to start and playing ok after? Is it pausing every so often during playback? What kind of computer?

It’s pausing every minute or so with the little spinning circle icon in the center of the screen, then resumes, then another a minute or so it pauses....rinse repeat. Our computer is less than a year old. It’s an HP Envy x360 laptop with an 8th generation core i7 processor and 8gb of RAM.

October 9, 2019 - 8:59pm
NC Bullseye's picture

One other thought, what type and model router?

October 9, 2019 - 9:11pm
jrollo51876's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

One other thought, what type and model router?

It’s a Sagemcom FAST 5280 router and a Arris TM1602 modem.

October 10, 2019 - 9:21am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,153

It looks like that model router will support SMB file sharing for attached USB devices.

You may try using this to see if it makes a difference, as it would allow you to eliminate the Wi-Fi variable, which can make a difference when streaming 4K videos.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

October 10, 2019 - 9:44am
jrollo51876's picture
  james wrote:

It looks like that model router will support SMB file sharing for attached USB devices.

You may try using this to see if it makes a difference, as it would allow you to eliminate the Wi-Fi variable, which can make a difference when streaming 4K videos.

I'm sorry, the router I quoted is the one I am already using. My laptop connects to it wirelessly as it doesn't have an Ethernet port. Are you suggesting that I get an Ethernet adapter for my computer? If so, is there a type you recommend? Thanks!

October 10, 2019 - 9:48am
james's picture
Staff
  jrollo51876 wrote:

I'm sorry, the router I quoted is the one I am already using. My laptop connects to it wirelessly as it doesn't have an Ethernet port. Are you suggesting that I get an Ethernet adapter for my computer? If so, is there a type you recommend? Thanks!

Sorry, what I meant was you can connect the USB drive directly to the router. Doing this will allow it be accessed on the network by all your devices (even if your laptop is powered off or sleeping).

This would have the effect of allowing Infuse to connect to the USB drive using ethernet only (no Wi-Fi) which may help improve playback performance in your setup.

October 10, 2019 - 10:43am
jrollo51876's picture
  james wrote:

Sorry, what I meant was you can connect the USB drive directly to the router. Doing this will allow it be accessed on the network by all your devices (even if your laptop is powered off or sleeping).

This would have the effect of allowing Infuse to connect to the USB drive using ethernet only (no Wi-Fi) which may help improve playback performance in your setup.

Is there any kind of tutorial with instructions on how to do that?

October 10, 2019 - 11:28am
NC Bullseye's picture
  jrollo51876 wrote:

Is there any kind of tutorial with instructions on how to do that?

Is this provided by Spectrum?

October 10, 2019 - 11:40am
jrollo51876's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

Is this provided by Spectrum?

The equipment? Yes.

October 10, 2019 - 12:17pm
NC Bullseye's picture

Just make sure before you disconnect the drive from your PC you unmount it. You'll want to check your router settings that sharing is "On" and DLNA is off. Once the drive is mounted on the router it should show in the Infuse settings under Settings > Shares > Available Shares (It will probably have a (SMB) suffix after the name of the router.

If for any reason you want to remove the drive from the router make sure you go into the router settings and unmount the drive before you unplug it.

October 10, 2019 - 4:17pm
jrollo51876's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

Just make sure before you disconnect the drive from your PC you unmount it. You'll want to check your router settings that sharing is "On" and DLNA is off. Once the drive is mounted on the router it should show in the Infuse settings under Settings > Shares > Available Shares (It will probably have a (SMB) suffix after the name of the router.

If for any reason you want to remove the drive from the router make sure you go into the router settings and unmount the drive before you unplug it.

Thanks again for the help! I have the hard drive connected to the router via usb. I’ve noticed that the buffering is maybe not as frequent, but still happening every few minutes.

October 10, 2019 - 4:47pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  jrollo51876 wrote:

Thanks again for the help! I have the hard drive connected to the router via usb. I’ve noticed that the buffering is maybe not as frequent, but still happening every few minutes.

I'm just about out of suggestions so maybe James can figure out what's causing the pauses. Only other thing I can think is to try changing the SMB levels again as before since now the router is controlling the transfers if may have a preference other than Auto.

October 10, 2019 - 4:49pm
james's picture
Staff
  jrollo51876 wrote:

One other thing to try is swapping Ethernet cables. A bad cable can lead to slower speeds, and there's no good way to test this on the Apple TV right now.

October 10, 2019 - 5:23pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester

how big are the 4K files? If they’re high bitrate the processor on the router might not be fast enough to sustain a fast enough transfer speed.

October 10, 2019 - 5:53pm
jrollo51876's picture
  JarvisMeier wrote:

how big are the 4K files? If they’re high bitrate the processor on the router might not be fast enough to sustain a fast enough transfer speed.

The ones having trouble are roughly 60-90gb at 23.976 fps. My internet speed is clocked at 117mbps down and 11.6 mbps up.

October 10, 2019 - 7:20pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  jrollo51876 wrote:

The ones having trouble are roughly 60-90gb at 23.976 fps. My internet speed is clocked at 117mbps down and 11.6 mbps up.

Again, your internet speed has nothing to do with Infuse streaming from a local source. It's 100 % reliant upon your local network speeds.

October 10, 2019 - 7:37pm
jrollo51876's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

Again, your internet speed has nothing to do with Infuse streaming from a local source. It's 100 % reliant upon your local network speeds.

How do I figure that out?

October 10, 2019 - 7:44pm
NC Bullseye's picture

First thing I'd say is to try changing the SMB levels again, second possibility would be to try a new Ethernet cat 5e or cat 6 cable to the ATV. I have a Ethernet cable tied in a knot on the shelf that caused me a nightmare problem. The net speed was about a third of what it should be and it turned out the cable was the culprit. Changed to a new cable and all was right with the connection. Just another possibility

What is the model of your external hard drive? It may be too slow too if it's an older drive.

EDIT To add: Forget to ask, what version of Infuse are you using and what tvOS? Just to make sure we're on the same song sheet.