5 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  December 27, 2019 - 9:00am
creative-2008's picture
Kudos: 1

I've been using Plex Media Server running on my Raspberry Pi for about two years, and Infuse for the last 18 months.

In the past few months, I've hit a few errors with Plex which has made my library unavailable. Because of this, I'm considering switching to a different method of serving the files. (My library is well organised.)

My requirements are that:

• I can edit metadata on one iOS device and it replicate across all iOS and tvOS devices
  • fast library sync speeds on LAN
  • ability to remotely stream and download on iOS
  • I can host it locally rather than paying a monthly fee for cloud storage
  • it is secure

Is there a solution that matches all of those requirements? If not, then I will look into making Plex more stable as it meets all of the above (when it's working.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

December 27, 2019 - 9:40am
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 67
  creative-2008 wrote:

I've been using Plex Media Server running on my Raspberry Pi for about two years, and Infuse for the last 18 months.

In the past few months, I've hit a few errors with Plex which has made my library unavailable. Because of this, I'm considering switching to a different method of serving the files. (My library is well organised.)

My requirements are that:

• I can edit metadata on one iOS device and it replicate across all iOS and tvOS devices
  • fast library sync speeds on LAN
  • ability to remotely stream and download on iOS
  • I can host it locally rather than paying a monthly fee for cloud storage
  • it is secure

Is there a solution that matches all of those requirements? If not, then I will look into making Plex more stable as it meets all of the above (when it's working.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The only other option is emby. If you want a more stable Plex server look at moving it off a raspberry pi and moving it onto something more robust.

December 29, 2019 - 3:12am
creative-2008's picture
Kudos: 1

Thanks. I will look into emby.

It's likely that I'm set on one kind of Raspberry Pi (running Raspbian) solution or another as I have a few other things running on it too.

December 29, 2019 - 3:55pm
JarvisMeier's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 67

Jellyfin is another one that seems quite popular. Infuse doesn’t support emby or jellyfin but it looks like it’s on their to-do list.

February 20, 2020 - 1:23am
T'hain Esh Kelch's picture
Translator
Kudos: 4

Could anyone give some input on Jellyfin vs. Emby vs. Ple, solely from the server point of view? We've been using Plex for 9 years, and it works very nicely, but I don't like that they have control over my server, and that if my internet fails, then I can't stream from my Plex Server. And frankly, I loathe the attitude of the Plex developers towards their userbase.