69 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  February 17, 2020 - 3:41am
Sperious's picture
Kudos: 1

Ok, so Infuse has been working great on my ATV4K forever, but the last few days I have seen random micro stuttering show up on everything I watch.

I have not changed anything in my setup. The ATV is set to match frame rate and this has worked perfectly. The TV still reports the correct frame rate. It is definitely not the source material because if I rewind and watch the very same passage again, the stuttering is not there.

Is anyone else noticing this? I can’t stand micro stuttering!

I’m running Infuse Pro 6.3 (2932) on ATV4K tvOS 13.3.1.

February 18, 2020 - 9:23am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,287

Is this affecting all files or just a few?

We have a 6.3.1 update waiting approval at Apple with a handful of improvements which may be worth a try once it's out.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

February 19, 2020 - 12:45am
Sperious's picture

Seems to affect all files I’m playing. It’s very inconsistent though.

February 19, 2020 - 7:43am
ceaca's picture
Kudos: 0
  james wrote:

Is this affecting all files or just a few?

We have a 6.3.1 update waiting approval at Apple with a handful of improvements which may be worth a try once it's out.

I have the same problem.

February 19, 2020 - 8:41am
Sperious's picture
  ceaca wrote:

I have the same problem.

Thank you! It’s good to know I’m not alone.

February 19, 2020 - 3:41pm
james's picture
Staff

Please give today's 6.3.1 update a try and see if you notice any change.

Also, you may double-check to ensure the Playback Speed option in the main Settings menu is set to Normal, and not a faster/slower speed.

February 19, 2020 - 3:59pm
Sperious's picture

Thanks, James. Playback speed setting is set to normal. 6.3.1 update is not available yet for me. I’ll be sure to check it out as soon as possible.

February 21, 2020 - 5:15am
Sperious's picture

Still present on 6.3.1 I’m afraid.

February 21, 2020 - 11:05am
james's picture
Staff

Is this affecting all files, or just a few?

Would you be able to upload a sample we could review here?

http://upload.firecore.com

February 21, 2020 - 12:41pm
Sperious's picture

It seems to affect all files. However I’ve only been watching 23.976 fps files recently and haven’t done any testing with other frame rates.

Sure, I’ll upload a file where I noticed this stuttering when I get back home.

Maybe this was introduced with the latest tvOS update, I’m not sure. It’s very inconsistent so it’s not easily detected but since I’m overly sensitive to the phenomenon I see it a few times per episode I’m watching.

February 21, 2020 - 12:58pm
NC Bullseye's picture
Kudos: 422
  Sperious wrote:

It seems to affect all files. However I’ve only been watching 23.976 fps files recently and haven’t done any testing with other frame rates.

Sure, I’ll upload a file where I noticed this stuttering when I get back home.

Maybe this was introduced with the latest tvOS update, I’m not sure. It’s very inconsistent so it’s not easily detected but since I’m overly sensitive to the phenomenon I see it a few times per episode I’m watching.

I don't want to derail what James is thinking but I'm curious as to what apps are enabled on your ATV for the new background updating feature. I noticed on my setup that there were several that I really didn't care to have taking up background tasking so I turned them all off except for Infuse. It almost sounds like the processor is not quite handling the multitasking and is occasionally shorting the playback processing in Infuse.

•Just Another Infuse User• •Not An Employee Of Firecore• •Certified Curmudgeon•

February 21, 2020 - 2:26pm
Sperious's picture

Interesting. I didn’t even know about this feature. When was it introduced? I’m gonna go look for it in the settings and I’ll definitely disable all apps but Infuse.

Edit: Found the setting and disabled four other apps including an IPTV app that I know for a fact is resource heavy. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the issue.

February 21, 2020 - 2:35pm
Sperious's picture
  james wrote:

Is this affecting all files, or just a few?

Would you be able to upload a sample we could review here?

http://upload.firecore.com

I’ve uploaded an episode now, James.

February 21, 2020 - 4:01pm
james's picture
Staff
  Sperious wrote:

Interesting. I didn’t even know about this feature. When was it introduced? I’m gonna go look for it in the settings and I’ll definitely disable all apps but Infuse.

Edit: Found the setting and disabled four other apps including an IPTV app that I know for a fact is resource heavy. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the issue.

Please do let us know if this has any impact.

If the issue is still present afterwards, would you mind sending in a report from your device (Settings > Submit Diagnostics) and posting the 5 digit code?

Also, can you double-check just to ensure the Match Content options are enabled?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208288

February 21, 2020 - 4:05pm
Sperious's picture
  james wrote:

If the issue is still present afterwards, would you mind sending in a report from your device (Settings > Submit Diagnostics) and posting the 5 digit code?

Also, can you double-check just to ensure the Match Content options are enabled?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208288

Match content options are enabled. First tests after disabling background updating for everything except Infuse are positive, problem seems eliminated. A bit early to say though, since the problem was so inconsistent. I’ll do some more testing and will let you know.

February 23, 2020 - 4:33am
Sperious's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

I'm curious as to what apps are enabled on your ATV for the new background updating feature.

james wrote:

I believe turning background updating off for all apps except Infuse has solved the problem with the random micro stuttering I experienced. Thank you very much to NC Bullseye for suggesting this solution!

For now, consider this problem solved.

February 23, 2020 - 10:10am
NC Bullseye's picture
  Sperious wrote:

I believe turning background updating off for all apps except Infuse has solved the problem with the random micro stuttering I experienced. Thank you very much to NC Bullseye for suggesting this solution!

For now, consider this problem solved.

Thanks for letting us know! If you ever get bored and curious maybe you could add the other apps back one at a time alone with Infuse and see if there's an evil app that others could avoid. Smile Again, thanks!

February 23, 2020 - 10:34am
Sperious's picture

I might just do that at some point! Smile

February 23, 2020 - 10:40am
NC Bullseye's picture
  Sperious wrote:

I might just do that at some point! Smile

I know it's a pain sometimes. One thing that may help though is if you could provide a list of apps that you turned off. Either post them here or you can PM them, either is fine. Wink That may help figure out the process hogs out there.

February 23, 2020 - 1:36pm
Sperious's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

I know it's a pain sometimes. One thing that may help though is if you could provide a list of apps that you turned off. Either post them here or you can PM them, either is fine. Wink That may help figure out the process hogs out there.

Of course! The apps that I deactivated are:

Netflix
Podcasts
iPlayTV (IPTV app)
Sveriges Radio (Swedish radio streaming app)

Out of these four I’m fairly certain iPlayTV is the culprit. It indexes over 20000 IP TV channels regularly and I bet that can be pretty resource heavy.

February 23, 2020 - 2:20pm
NC Bullseye's picture
  Sperious wrote:

Of course! The apps that I deactivated are:

Netflix
Podcasts
iPlayTV (IPTV app)
Sveriges Radio (Swedish radio streaming app)

Out of these four I’m fairly certain iPlayTV is the culprit. It indexes over 20000 IP TV channels regularly and I bet that can be pretty resource heavy.

Much appreciated! From what you're saying that iPlayTV sounds like the most likely evil app. Let us know if you see any further issues. Smile

February 24, 2020 - 1:21am
Sperious's picture

I will! And thanks once again for fixing this for me.

February 24, 2020 - 3:59am
Sperious's picture
  james wrote:

Story of my life. Just as I thought the problem was solved, there it is again. Noticed several times on single episode watched this morning. Trying to upload that file to you now James.

The only app still allowed for background updating is Infuse. I guess I could try disabling that as well.

Edit: File uploaded through the Dropbox service. Surname Sperious.

February 24, 2020 - 6:36am
NC Bullseye's picture

Darn!

Okay another off the beaten path thought.

Does your router allow for assigning priority for streaming to a specific address? If so you may want to assign that to the ATV.

It just sounds like something is bleeding off bandwidth of either the processor or the network in small increments. Also WiFi is notorious for stuttering if it encounters interference like another WiFi device close by or electronics placed nearby.

February 24, 2020 - 8:56am
james's picture
Staff
  Sperious wrote:

Story of my life. Just as I thought the problem was solved, there it is again. Noticed several times on single episode watched this morning. Trying to upload that file to you now James.

The only app still allowed for background updating is Infuse. I guess I could try disabling that as well.

Edit: File uploaded through the Dropbox service. Surname Sperious.

If you see it again, can you exit the video and send in a report right after (and post the 5 digit code here)?

Infuse > Settings > Submit Diagnostics

February 24, 2020 - 9:03am
Sperious's picture
  NC Bullseye wrote:

Darn!

Okay another off the beaten path thought.

Does your router allow for assigning priority for streaming to a specific address? If so you may want to assign that to the ATV.

It just sounds like something is bleeding off bandwidth of either the processor or the network in small increments. Also WiFi is notorious for stuttering if it encounters interference like another WiFi device close by or electronics placed nearby.

Thanks again for your input but I’m very confident the issue is not because of my setup. I haven’t made any changes to my setup in at least a year and Infuse has been rock solid for me. My Apple TV is connected to my router via ethernet.

February 24, 2020 - 9:04am
Sperious's picture
  james wrote:

If you see it again, can you exit the video and send in a report right after (and post the 5 digit code here)?

I’ll be sure to do that and I’ll post the code here.

February 25, 2020 - 3:25pm
Sperious's picture
  james wrote:

Just noticed it again on a 23.976 fos file. I stopped the video a few seconds later and sent diagnostics with the resulting code T8DRS.

February 26, 2020 - 10:26am
Wynnn's picture
Kudos: 0

I'm also getting random slow downs as well

February 26, 2020 - 10:31am
Sperious's picture

I wouldn’t call my issues slow downs. It’s more like one single lost frame of video (audio seemingly not affected) at random intervals. Not very often though. Might occur once or twice during a typical 30 min episode.

February 26, 2020 - 12:52pm
james's picture
Staff
  Sperious wrote:

Just noticed it again on a 23.976 fos file. I stopped the video a few seconds later and sent diagnostics with the resulting code T8DRS.

Thanks.

We'll take a look and see if we can find any clues.