52 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  December 1, 2010 - 3:22pm
php4me's picture
Kudos: 0

Apple TV has been jailbroken as per instructions. Attempting to restore using AppleTV2,1_4.1_8M89_Restore.ipsw, I receive the following error: The Apple TV "Apple TV" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build. Where do we go from here?

December 1, 2010 - 3:26pm
RobertH's picture

the device can no longer be restored to that FW, apple stopped "signing" it. you must have you SHSH blobs saved thru TinyUmbrella. but.... it may be too late now. you may be stick in DFU mode, and are now forced to restore to the latest FW 4.2.1. sorry. Frown

December 1, 2010 - 3:37pm
tomc.50525's picture

Yep. Got the same error message. If FireCore fixes the iOS 4.2 Jailbreak and the Apple notification thing I think we'll be closer.

December 1, 2010 - 3:40pm (Reply to #3)
RobertH's picture

it is not FireCore, at this point it is the Jailbreak Dev-Team need to update the jailbreak software to support 4.2.1. then all will be ok again.

December 1, 2010 - 4:06pm
cjaerw.103340's picture

pretty weak that it's not in the documentation though. It's not like the beta was launched and then the firmware upgrade. If most customers were prompted to upgrade firmware weeks ago firecore could have saved us much wasted time by putting this information at the top of the instructions. As this is my first experience with them I'm hoping that they do better, but I don't like killing an hour of my day to find out that my standard configuration isn't supported.

December 1, 2010 - 4:07pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,115

Unfortunately once you upgrade to AppleTV 4.1 (iOS 4.2.1) you cannot go back (unless of course you previously saved your SHSH blobs).

We're working to to have an updated beta that is compatible with the 4.1 software.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

December 1, 2010 - 4:23pm (Reply to #6)
atvblack2g's picture

well this bites.  I was wise enough not to update the software, and I kept the previous firmware that was jailbroken including the original AppleTV3,1_4.1_8M89_Resotre.ipsw.  everything worked perfectly or so I though.  Since I had plex previously installed this beta broke plex.  I attemped to install and uninstall plex using the ATV black interface and it bricked my ATV.  Had to do a restore which also updated the unit.   It was good while it lasted.

December 1, 2010 - 4:24pm (Reply to #7)
cjaerw.103340's picture

As I've said you would save your users and yourself a LOT of time to have this information right at the very top of your documentation.

Just one question, which I asked as the second part of a two part on another segment but it didn't get answered: Will registered beta users get an email notification when the IOS4.2/ATV4.1 compatible version comes out? I'd certainly prefer that over checking.

Thanks, I know it's a mad rush to get everything out,

December 1, 2010 - 4:31pm (Reply to #8)
imedicineman's picture

Ditto, "pretty weak." We'll just call this strike one, grin and bear it for now. Those of us on the cutting edge are bound to bleed once in a while.

December 1, 2010 - 4:32pm (Reply to #9)
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,115

Yep - we need to get a note added to the knowledge base pages.

Regarding updates, we will be sending out email announcing new beta versions - but if you get anxious you can always check here. Smile

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

December 1, 2010 - 5:40pm
kylewith's picture

Do we have timeframe yet as to when a fix might be out?

December 1, 2010 - 6:15pm (Reply to #11)
jeffw.48229's picture

Tried with 4.0 and didn't work- apple doesn't support the software you link us to (AppleTV2,1_4.1_8M89_Restore.ipsw). When you say you are working to have an updated beta that is compatible with 4.1 software- do you mean 4.2? Cause you are linking to 4.1 off the bat, so should you be linking to 4.0 software? 

EDIT- nevermind- saw this

It is a little confusing as there is some overlap in the version numbers. We're working to have a 4.1 compatible version of aTV Flash available soon.

For future reference:

ATV 4.0 = iOS 4.1

ATV 4.1 = iOS 4.2.1

December 1, 2010 - 7:29pm
chapco's picture

I got the word to save my shshblobs at 4.1 and did it. I made the mistake of updating to 4.2 the other day cause I wanted to play with airplay. but the jailbreak for 4.2 should be coming soon.

December 2, 2010 - 11:23am
php4me's picture

cjaerw, agreed. Definitely would have saved us a heap of time and trouble had this been mentioned in the instructions. 

robertd.08354, I dig that! I'm going to steal it. "Those of us on the cutting edge are bound to bleed once in a while." 

James, thanks for letting us know. This was me yesterday…  Shock

"OK, now cut the blue wire."

"They're all blue wires." 

"What?!"

"All the wires in this bomb are blue!"

"They're not supposed to all be blue!"

"I'm gonna put in my report that this was a VERY poorly designed bomb!"

December 2, 2010 - 11:29am (Reply to #14)
RobertH's picture
  php4me wrote:

robertd.08354, I dig that! I'm going to steal it. "Those of us on the cutting edge are bound to bleed once in a while." 

this is a very true statement, you cant expect to be the first to get something, and it work everytime.

December 2, 2010 - 11:39am
Anon's picture

Sure would have liked to know all this before signing up for the beta, but oh well. I hope FireCore will send me an email when the correct firmware is avalable.

Thanks for these forums.

Henry

December 2, 2010 - 11:48am (Reply to #16)
RobertH's picture

this is why its a beta, they are learning things too. i dont think FireCore knew this would be an issue. i dont think they realized that the new update for the aTV was not JBable.

December 2, 2010 - 4:15pm (Reply to #17)
robiv8's picture

".. As he said you would save your users and yourself a LOT of time to have this information right at the very top of your documentation..."

Not in the knowledge base pages! On the top of the page. The users read "atv patch for apple tv 2" klick to pay and then is to late!

This is unreliable.

December 2, 2010 - 9:48pm
Anon's picture

what i don't understand is that my apple tv says im on 4.0 but i still can't jailbrake??

December 4, 2010 - 4:15am
alexisl.29288's picture

Damn, so after trying the restore for hours and iTunes kept telling me that "this device isn't eligible for the requested build" I searched and found this. Frown

I woke at 5:30am just to work on this and install aTV Flash. I agree that they should specified that if your device is not jailborken or u didnt saved your shsh blobs YOU CAN'T jailbreak it now and you will be forced you upgrade your ATV2 to 4.1 (which is 4.2 not jailbreakable at the moment). 

December 4, 2010 - 9:02am (Reply to #20)
alexisl.29288's picture

Just to let you know. After I got the itunes error. I disconnected the microusb from the apple tv and reconnected the power cable. It rebooted the atv. The light was blinking but then it stopped blinking so I unplugged the unit and took it to the tv and it was working! It was not stuck in DFU mode!!! This means I'll have to wait for another option to jailbreak the 4.1(4.0 os) on the apple tv. We need a tool like greenpoison or limerain. 

December 4, 2010 - 2:28pm
timothym.16522's picture

Got the same error. "Apple TV could not be restored"Why would you give instructions to jailbreak the apple tv black when your fully aware its not yet supported.No warnings or notices are posted and they should be.

December 5, 2010 - 2:11am
omarcina's picture

i'm so frustated i can't success to install the  (AppleTV2,1_4.1_8M89_Custom_Restore.ipsw). after that i tunes pop up a massage that pple TV" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build so my question is what should i do i all ready send an email to firecore tech support so i belive i have to wait untill they reply me next week , there's anybody can give me a help to fix this issue i got the version on my apple tv 4.1 

thanks 

OMARCINA Frown

December 5, 2010 - 3:03am
lindsayjackson's picture

Sounds like everyone is frustrated... I spent half a day trying to work out what i was doing wrong! (even though i wasnt!)

Anyway, its tough being at the forefront of technology...

Can't wait to stream all my movies! Come on 4.2!

December 5, 2010 - 8:49am
dexterc.979810's picture

To my frustrated users,

I am not letting firecore off the hook, BUT come on, this update was labeled as "beta" which means that this is the release before the official release AND you are getting it at a discounted rate.  I am sure they are working on this since the Nerds at Apple through a curve ball.  

To firecore,

Hurry up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 5, 2010 - 10:03am
jobier.410164's picture

after frigging around for nearly a whole day getting OS X to run in VM so I can JB my non updated ATV2 to find that the JB firmware doesn't work what can I say but oh joy/????

Whilst I agree that FC need to put a warning at the top of the page stating that the current JBable firmware won't work this is the peril of doing what we do. 

TY FC for your efforts and DEV no pressure but find a fix ASAP :)

December 5, 2010 - 10:39am
teodorteo's picture

Spent 2 days wondering what is wrong with my Apple TV2 until I read this..... It's not fair Firecore!

December 5, 2010 - 7:06pm
toutla's picture

Is there any way to be sent a notification when the 4.2 becomes available, or do we just have to keep checking back here?   I soooooooooooo want this to work!!   Thanks guys!!

December 6, 2010 - 5:08am
alexisl.29288's picture

Why the exploit by geohotz used in limera1n and greenpois0n can't be used to insert aTV Flash into the aTV?

December 6, 2010 - 6:33am
Anon's picture

Todays date : 6th Dec 2010

I have used the following procedure several times to bring life back into a apparently dead ATV (Black)
Hope this helps. Good luck and as usual, I recommend that you don't do this.

1. download this firmware
http://appldnld.apple.com/AppleTV/061-8747.20101122.Vgtr5/AppleTV2,1_4.2...

2. download PwnageTool (had to use BitTottent as the native servers were down)

3 . Perform steps 1 to 3 ONLY of the PwnageTool instructions.

4. Using PwnageTool, get the ATV into DFU mode (I know you can do it other ways, just use this thing)

5. Close PwnageTool, start iTunes, alt Restore and select the unmodified file from step 1.

Life retuned to ATV

MT

December 6, 2010 - 8:35pm (Reply to #30)
jamesn.210557's picture

I received the same message. I unplugged the aTv from my mac and plugged it into the tv. It worked and still has v. 4.0. Now what do I do? How do I get around the error?