87 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  January 11, 2011 - 3:02pm
revsrtaylor's picture
Kudos: 0

I've tried the jailbreak several times but each time it gets to the 7 second bit, it never goes to dfu mode.  Why is this so difficult?  Does it have to be EXACTLY 7 seconds so its a hit or miss thing?  I've tried shorter, longer - it never gets past this step.  :/  Anyone got any suggestions?

January 11, 2011 - 3:17pm
lisheran's picture

I am having the same issue. I got it into DFU mode using pwnagetool last time

January 11, 2011 - 4:18pm
keithm.7658's picture

Can't get it into DFU mode either????? You think they would have went through the SeasonPass process before release????????

January 11, 2011 - 4:35pm
murphypjr's picture

I had the same problem when trying to jailbreak.... After a bit of playing around I found the following process to work:

1) Connect ATV2 up to a power source (contrary to the instructions)).

2) Open iTunes

3) Hook up the micro USB.

4) Then remove the power cable (standby light should be blinking), wait a second or two and then press 'menu' and 'pause' together for 7 seconds.

This seemed to work for me when jailbreaking.... let me know if it works for you chaps.

January 11, 2011 - 4:43pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,099

Just FYI, the power cable should not be connected when jailbreaking the AppleTV. Only have it connected when walking through the tethered boot process.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

January 11, 2011 - 6:43pm (Reply to #5)
lisheran's picture

does a dialog come up stating it found an apple tv in recovery mode like for an iphone jailbreak or is it just when itunes boots and you can click restore.

January 11, 2011 - 8:30pm
bejones1's picture

I am having the same issue. I couldnt do it when I tried to Jailbreak my iphone either. I think DFU mode is fake and people get their kicks out of watching everyone else try... lol

This is Ridiculous.

I let you know if any of the above suggestions work

January 11, 2011 - 8:31pm (Reply to #7)
bejones1's picture

Pwnagetool worked. iTunes still does not say it is in DFU mode though. I also had to reset the Seas0npass program.

My suggestion would be get it into DFU mode with pwnagetool before you even start Seas0npass

January 12, 2011 - 11:32am
keatv's picture

that same process workes for me, the problem I am having now is after installing ATVFLASH it wont go into dfu mode the Seas0nPass to tether my atv.

keatv

January 12, 2011 - 12:04pm
joeycuccaro's picture

When booting in tetherd mode: Directions say to plug in both USB and Power cord. This worked for me...

Uplug the power cord... Hold for 7 seconds until you get the steady flash (FDU Mode)... THEN plug in the power code. Worked for me

January 12, 2011 - 3:17pm (Reply to #10)
keatv's picture

It worked, it does the tethered, but now I have a blank screen in the TV, the ATV seems to be ok as the light is steady on.  Any clue?

keatv

January 12, 2011 - 3:54pm (Reply to #11)
simonb.310196's picture

Try running the aTV installer again whilst the screen is blank

January 12, 2011 - 7:54pm
jcchristopher's picture

I can't get into DFU mode with SeasonPass or with Pwnage. Grrrrr......

January 12, 2011 - 8:54pm
trevorg.7604's picture

to enter DFU try this menu and - ( down on the top round button ) 6 seconds ( until rapid flashing ) then menu and paly pause button 7 seconds ( until rapid flashing )

January 23, 2011 - 8:06pm (Reply to #14)
eddief.5897's picture

murphypjr's steps are the way to go. Thanks for figuring it out!

murphypjr wrote:

I had the same problem when trying to jailbreak.... After a bit of playing around I found the following process to work:

2) Open iTunes

4) Then remove the power cable (standby light should be blinking), wait a second or two and then press 'menu' and 'pause' together for 7 seconds.

This seemed to work for me when jailbreaking.... let me know if it works for you chaps.

January 24, 2011 - 10:32am (Reply to #15)
imedicineman's picture

I have tried and tried to get into dfu mode with Seas0nPass;  held both the 'MENU' and 'PLAY/PAUSE' buttons for 7 and atv2 never blinks. Screen continues to tell me to enter into dfu mode. Should I try Pwnagetool or something else? ATV2 will only blink with power cable attached and I know you said it should not be attached. I know the USB cable is working because I used TinyUmbrella to backup SHSH blobs and that worked fine.

Thank you

January 26, 2011 - 12:33am
bejones1's picture

Alright, so here is the problem that I ran into everytime until a few days ago when I finally got the jailbreak to work. To get it into DFU mode, you need to plug it into your Mac or PC very soon after you unplug it from the wall. If the light is off then you have had it unplugged for too long. You want to see a slow steady flashing light. I hope this helps. The 7 second thing should still be some after, but you want to see the steady flashing lights.

January 26, 2011 - 12:41pm
wasabi's picture

Guys, I too was having the same problem but I finally got it working....

I am running Seas0nPass 0.6.8 (27)

1. Started with Seas0nPass with NO CABLES plugged into my ATV2 WHATSOEVER (the ATV2 was sitting in my lap). ITunes was NOT RUNNING on my MAC either.

2. When it tells you to connect USB (the how-to shows power as well but I swear I don't recall seeing that now) connect ONLY the USB cable.

3. Took a breath and then held MENU & PLAY/PAUSE for 7 seconds.

4. DFU Mode entered. Seas0nPass continued on to the custom restore phase.

January 28, 2011 - 7:23pm
mterwill's picture

Turn off the Infrared receiver on your mac, that fixed the issue for me.  Head to Sys Prefs>Security>Disable Remote Infrared Receiver

January 29, 2011 - 2:56pm
Orijnal's picture

I was having the same problem, but I found a bulletproof - at least in my experience - way of making the tethered boot work every time. I wrote these instructions for myself, so I've only tested them using a Mac... not sure if they work with Windows. Let me know if you are still having problems after following these steps (I will be really surprised):

---------

- Open Seass0Pass, select the tethered boot option, & leave it open at the "waiting for dfu mode" screen- Unplug everything (hdmi cable on the aTV, power cable on the aTV, both ends of the USB cable)- Open iTunes- Connect the USB cable to the aTV, then into the Computer- iTunes should recognize the aTV- Press Menu and DOWN button for 6 seconds- then release- Wait 6 more seconds (just to be safe), then press Menu and Play/Pause for 7 seconds- release- Seas0nPass will now recognize the aTV in DFU mode and begin to work its magic- Once you see the progress bar advancing in Seas0nPass, plug in the Power cable to the aTV- Once you see the 'Tethered Boot Complete' screen, unplug the usb cable from the back of the aTV and plug in the HDMI cable (quickly)- aTV should now appear on the TV Smile

----------

Good luck!

January 31, 2011 - 9:35pm
zebrano's picture

murphypjr method below worked.  I have two Apple TV 2G's.  The first one I used Seas0nPass instructions and worked great no problem and installed plex and nitoTV.  The 2nd Apple TV 2G wouldn't go into DFU.  I used murphypjr method and it worked the first time.
2) Open iTunes

February 2, 2011 - 9:03pm
boomerx01's picture

How long is everyone having to wait once you get into DFU mode and Seas0npass shows that it is "found in DFU mode"?  My ATV will not go past that found screen.

Any suggestions?  Should I re-jail break it?

February 4, 2011 - 8:41pm
blibbler's picture

I have tried all the listed process to get to DFU mode several times, without success. Can anybody describe what is visible when you are holding the buttons down for 7 seconds?

With the standard, Seas0nPass way, I've seen 3 behaviours:

1) No lights appear at all, no matter how long I hold the button down

2) A brief flash at the start, then after about 5 seconds it flashes rapidly

3) A steady flash, which gets a bit irregular when holding down the two buttons.

I assume the second behaviour is the intended one, however it doesn't work.

I have tried plugging it into the wall, then unplugging it, and quickly pressing the two buttons, but I get no flashing lights at all, once I pull the power out.

I've also tried the 6 seconds of MENU + (down) followed by 7 seconds of MENU+(Play/pause) without success

I haven't had the HDMI cable plugged in at all, because neither of my HDMI cables will plugin while the USB is connected. Could this be the problem?

February 5, 2011 - 7:42pm (Reply to #23)
prasket00's picture

I am having the same issue as blibbler. I have even thought I might have jacked up my ATV microUSB connection so I went and picked up another ATV2, I have even tried multiple cables. The one that came with my Fuji camera and a new one today. They Fuji camera one still works on the camera to my mac. I have a MacBook Pro 10.6.6, with all the latest updates. I purchased both AYV2's today. I have tried everything I can find online and on this forum. My ATV is not being recognized in iTunes at any time (not sure if it should be). I am starting to wonder if Apple did something to the hardware to circumvent this. Hopefully not and someone smarter or luckier than myself can come along with a resolution for myself and others having these issues. 

February 6, 2011 - 8:08am
prasket00's picture

I just wanted to post a quick update to my issue. It seems both of the microusb cables I had were crap and even though work on my camera not good enough for the ATV2. I ran to my office this am and got my work crackberry's micro cable and as of right now I am plugged in, light blinking, and iTunes see's my ATV2. Now to try and get into DFU.

February 11, 2011 - 11:29pm
imedicineman's picture

Finally up and running. Worked on this stupid problem for weeks (off and on) and today DFU and everything else is working perfectly. The problem was the USB cable. 

I purchased the first cable through Amazon clicking on a link I believe came from a Pwnage Tool website. The cable worked fine for TinyUmbrella so I thought it must work. WRONG. I purchase a new cable from Radio Shack today and Joile! The Jailbreak and Tethered Boot worked perfectly the first time. 

Try another cable. It worked for me and might work for all you folks having problems with Seas0nPass or any other JB.

February 17, 2011 - 5:27am (Reply to #26)
blibbler's picture

I finally got it jailbroken with greenp0ison. It took quite a few goes to get that to work. The first time I got it to work, the aTV was in "restore" mode, which meant I had to let iTunes restore it and do it all over again. I am not sure what made the difference between what worked and what didn't, but it seemed to work better when I started pressing the buttons on the remote very soon after plugging in the power.

February 17, 2011 - 1:01pm
alexanderg.7804's picture

I think ive tried every combination by now, and all i get every time is when i plug the hdmi back in i get the itunes logo and a usb on the screen and the little white light doesn't stop flashing. i then can't do anything as it hangs there and after a min or 2 it goes leaving just a blank screen.

please can someone help, i'm using a macbook os 10.6.3, itunes 10.1.2, into the ATV2

Thanks 

February 23, 2011 - 8:21am
ktjensen's picture

bump.  This discussin is critical.  the suggestions here will save hours with trying to get DFU mode.

February 25, 2011 - 12:35pm
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 111

I have found that if you plug in via the USB cable with no power connected, and iTunes does not recognise the ATV2 and offer to restore the ATV2 it is almost certainly a problem with the USB cable!   I have a total of 5 different micro USB cables around the house.  2 of them work all the time and the others do not.   They are all apparently data+charging cables, so I do not know what the difference is between them.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

March 3, 2011 - 12:34pm
blowe's picture

To all you Windows users, check your Device Manager. Apparently when I initially plugged in my apple tv, it did not load the drivers correctly and there was a big yellow warning sign on the apple tv device. Right-click to uninstall and then replug in the USB cable. Wait and make sure it loads the device drivers properly. After I did this, the device went into DFU without any issues.