won't got to dfu mode...

I've tried the jailbreak several times but each time it gets to the 7 second bit, it never goes to dfu mode.  Why is this so difficult?  Does it have to be EXACTLY 7 seconds so its a hit or miss thing?  I've tried shorter, longer - it never gets past this step.  :/  Anyone got any suggestions?

I am having the same issue. I got it into DFU mode using pwnagetool last time

Can't get it into DFU mode either????? You think they would have went through the SeasonPass process before release????????

I had the same problem when trying to jailbreak.... After a bit of playing around I found the following process to work:

1) Connect ATV2 up to a power source (contrary to the instructions)).

2) Open iTunes

3) Hook up the micro USB.

4) Then remove the power cable (standby light should be blinking), wait a second or two and then press 'menu' and 'pause' together for 7 seconds.

This seemed to work for me when jailbreaking.... let me know if it works for you chaps.

Just FYI, the power cable should not be connected when jailbreaking the AppleTV. Only have it connected when walking through the tethered boot process.

does a dialog come up stating it found an apple tv in recovery mode like for an iphone jailbreak or is it just when itunes boots and you can click restore.

I am having the same issue. I couldnt do it when I tried to Jailbreak my iphone either. I think DFU mode is fake and people get their kicks out of watching everyone else try... lol

This is Ridiculous.

I let you know if any of the above suggestions work

Pwnagetool worked. iTunes still does not say it is in DFU mode though. I also had to reset the Seas0npass program.

My suggestion would be get it into DFU mode with pwnagetool before you even start Seas0npass

that same process workes for me, the problem I am having now is after installing ATVFLASH it wont go into dfu mode the Seas0nPass to tether my atv.

When booting in tetherd mode: Directions say to plug in both USB and Power cord. This worked for me...

Uplug the power cord... Hold for 7 seconds until you get the steady flash (FDU Mode)... THEN plug in the power code. Worked for me

It worked, it does the tethered, but now I have a blank screen in the TV, the ATV seems to be ok as the light is steady on.  Any clue?

Try running the aTV installer again whilst the screen is blank

I can't get into DFU mode with SeasonPass or with Pwnage. Grrrrr......

to enter DFU try this

menu and - ( down on the top round button ) 6 seconds ( until rapid flashing )

then

menu and paly pause button 7 seconds ( until rapid flashing )

murphypjr's steps are the way to go. Thanks for figuring it out!

[quote="murphypjr"]

I had the same problem when trying to jailbreak.... After a bit of playing around I found the following process to work:

1) Connect ATV2 up to a power source (contrary to the instructions)).

2) Open iTunes

3) Hook up the micro USB.

4) Then remove the power cable (standby light should be blinking), wait a second or two and then press 'menu' and 'pause' together for 7 seconds.

This seemed to work for me when jailbreaking.... let me know if it works for you chaps.

[/quote]

I have tried and tried to get into dfu mode with Seas0nPass;  held both the 'MENU' and 'PLAY/PAUSE' buttons for 7 and atv2 never blinks. Screen continues to tell me to enter into dfu mode. Should I try Pwnagetool or something else? ATV2 will only blink with power cable attached and I know you said it should not be attached. I know the USB cable is working because I used TinyUmbrella to backup SHSH blobs and that worked fine.

Thank you

Alright, so here is the problem that I ran into everytime until a few days ago when I finally got the jailbreak to work. To get it into DFU mode, you need to plug it into your Mac or PC very soon after you unplug it from the wall. If the light is off then you have had it unplugged for too long. You want to see a slow steady flashing light. I hope this helps. The 7 second thing should still be some after, but you want to see the steady flashing lights.

Guys, I too was having the same problem but I finally got it working....

I am running Seas0nPass 0.6.8 (27)

1. Started with Seas0nPass with NO CABLES plugged into my ATV2 WHATSOEVER (the ATV2 was sitting in my lap). ITunes was NOT RUNNING on my MAC either.

2. When it tells you to connect USB (the how-to shows power as well but I swear I don't recall seeing that now) connect ONLY the USB cable.

3. Took a breath and then held MENU & PLAY/PAUSE for 7 seconds.

4. DFU Mode entered. Seas0nPass continued on to the custom restore phase.

Turn off the Infrared receiver on your mac, that fixed the issue for me.  Head to Sys Prefs>Security>Disable Remote Infrared Receiver

I was having the same problem, but I found a bulletproof - at least in my experience - way of making the tethered boot work every time. I wrote these instructions for myself, so I've only tested them using a Mac... not sure if they work with Windows. Let me know if you are still having problems after following these steps (I will be really surprised):

---------

- Open Seass0Pass, select the tethered boot option, & leave it open at the "waiting for dfu mode" screen
- Unplug everything (hdmi cable on the aTV, power cable on the aTV, both ends of the USB cable)
- Open iTunes
- Connect the USB cable to the aTV, then into the Computer
- iTunes should recognize the aTV
- Press Menu and DOWN button for 6 seconds
- then release
- Wait 6 more seconds (just to be safe), then press Menu and Play/Pause for 7 seconds
- release
- Seas0nPass will now recognize the aTV in DFU mode and begin to work its magic
- Once you see the progress bar advancing in Seas0nPass, plug in the Power cable to the aTV
- Once you see the 'Tethered Boot Complete' screen, unplug the usb cable from the back of the aTV and plug in the HDMI cable (quickly)
- aTV should now appear on the TV :-)

----------

Good luck!