87 posts / 0 new / Last post
  March 4, 2011 - 4:29am
Clemons's picture
Kudos: 0

Hi - jb my ATV 2 yesterday using the beta windows season pass and it worked fine. You need to release the menu+play buttons after the 7 seconds and it should then go into the dfu mode.

If you are using the windows jb you need to then open iTunes, hold down shift button and hit 'restore' then select the file that was downloaded.

March 9, 2011 - 11:59pm (Reply to #32)
richardw.8279's picture

I have tried over and over{hours} to get my ATV2 into DFU mode.  TRY THIS -TRY THAT.     NO GO every time.

YOU Make a Good Point about the USB cables being Different.  I had gotten  a  Mini USB  to  Micro USB  adapter .

I was suspecting maybe it was'nt the right one. I'm gonna get a new cable like you mentioned.

March 13, 2011 - 1:10pm
geoferret's picture

Still can't get into DFU mode after hours of trying. I used the micro USB from a Kindle and a Samsung phone. Can anyone link to a cable that worked for them?

March 14, 2011 - 5:03am (Reply to #34)
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 117

Ignoring DFU mode, if you plug the ATV2 into your PC/Mac is it seen by iTunes? If not then until you have a cable that lets iTunes see the ATV2 there is no point in trying to jailbreak.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

March 14, 2011 - 4:53pm (Reply to #35)
geoferret's picture

Yes, the Apple TV is seen by iTunes using the cables I have. I have had no problem restoring Apple TV to factory fresh iOS 4.3 (4.2.1 Apple TV). I just can't get Seas0nPass or iTunes to recognize that the Apple TV is in DFU mode though.

March 25, 2011 - 10:48am (Reply to #36)
keebler's picture

I'm having the exact same problem as you. Have tried 3 different Micro USB cables and one Mini USB cable using a Micro->Mini adapter. What type of cable did you finally purchase that worked for you? Brand/length? Anything special about the one that works?

March 28, 2011 - 4:19pm (Reply to #37)
adammiod's picture

I have the same problem:( 

April 5, 2011 - 7:23am
markc.6161's picture

me too. I have wasted about 10 hours on this so far - its tiresome! I have tried on a mac, a PC, with and without the power cable l=plugged in to no avail..... HELP...! :(

April 23, 2011 - 12:41pm (Reply to #39)
rdlaub's picture

This is the only way that worked for me too.  Thanks for the tip.

April 24, 2011 - 6:44pm
BlueBelgian's picture

Don't shoot me if the following comments have already been made, but here's my experience:

1. Micro-USB cable.  Do NOT use a micro-USB cable that comes with (for example), a digital camera.  You can spot these as they've normally got a 'lump' of plastic (holding a ferrite bead), on the cable.  I'm guessing the ferrite bead reduces (or even eliminates), the power that normally comes from the USB port (or, maybe the power pins aren't connected?)  Best cable to use is the power/sync cables for a Blackberry phone - you can pick these up at Radioshack (or any phone shop), these are simple straight through cables without the 'lump'

2.  Timing - really/really/really critical.  I spent a fair bit of time trying to get my aTV into DFU - the secret I found was not to hit the buttons too quickly.  Wait a few seconds after the USB cable is hooked up and then hit the buttons.  If it's any help, once you've got the knack for doing this it's real easy.

Once jailbroken, I followed these instructions: http://osxdaily.com/2011/01/21/xbmc-for-apple-... for installing XBMC - worked fine, no issues.  Also, if you're using XBMC check regularly for updates.  You can do this by ssh'ing into your aTV and then:

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

Other great idea is to cripplr the auto-update stuff on the aTV.  Thanks to the XBMC forum, I found out that if you change the hosts file to hardcode the IP addy's of the various apple update servers to the loopback IP addy, you can kill off updates.  Again, ssh onto your aTV and then:

echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net" >> /etc/hosts

April 26, 2011 - 5:18pm
webshooter's picture

I was having a lot of prolems getting my aTV2 into DFU mode. The key to understanding if you are doing it properly is the flashing light on the front of the aTV2. From my experience that light has a few flashing modes:

Slow - ~2 flashes per secondFast - ~4 flashes per secondVery fast - too fast to count the flashes per second

It's the "very fast" flashing mode you are looking for. The other two modes I saw at various times depending on what I was trying to do, but the "very fast" mode you will only ever see if you are holding two of the remote buttons down simultaneaously for 6-7 seconds.

Even after holding down the menu and play/pause for seven seconds and getting the very fast flashing light the SeasonPass software would sometimes still not detect the aTV2 in DFU mode. On these occasions I would then hold down the down direction on the remote "d-pad" and the menu button at the same time for seven seconds, get the very fast flashing and release the buttons, then hold down the menu and play/pause buttons for seven seconds, get the very fast flashing and release the buttons, wait a few seconds and SeasonPass picks up the aTV2 in DFU mode and continues from there.

Oh and on a final note, when you finally get the aTV2 jailbroken and plug in the HDMI cable give it a good minute or so to show anything on the screen. I ended up re-jailbreaking one of my aTV2s several times in a row because I keep seeing just a black screen when I plugged in the HDMI cable. It wasn'tuntil I just left the aTV2 plugged in after my last attempt while I poked around online to find a solution that I looked up and saw that the aTV2 have finally booted up and was showing on screen.

May 12, 2011 - 10:24pm (Reply to #42)
Goodeye's picture

This worked for me as well!

May 14, 2011 - 3:58pm (Reply to #43)
strider72's picture

Yup. Worked for me with 4.2.2.  Thanks.

May 26, 2011 - 4:20am (Reply to #44)
kirillm.6419's picture
  murphypjr wrote:

I had the same problem when trying to jailbreak.... After a bit of playing around I found the following process to work:

1) Connect ATV2 up to a power source (contrary to the instructions)).

2) Open iTunes

3) Hook up the micro USB.

4) Then remove the power cable (standby light should be blinking), wait a second or two and then press 'menu' and 'pause' together for 7 seconds.

This seemed to work for me when jailbreaking.... let me know if it works for you chaps.

thanks, this helped me

May 30, 2011 - 11:46pm
bexn's picture

I have tried every suggestion here and none of them worked for me. Anyone else have any other suggestions? Thanks!

July 4, 2011 - 5:04pm (Reply to #46)
dmealiffe's picture
  eddief.5897]

<a title="View user profile." href="http://firecore.com/user/51840">murphypjr</a>'s steps are the way to go. Thanks for figuring it out!

&nbsp;

[quote=murphypjr

wrote:

I had the same problem when trying to jailbreak.... After a bit of playing around I found the following process to work:

2) Open iTunes

4) Then remove the power cable (standby light should be blinking), wait a second or two and then press 'menu' and 'pause' together for 7 seconds.

This seemed to work for me when jailbreaking.... let me know if it works for you chaps.

Ditto.  Thanks for figuring it out!

July 4, 2011 - 11:45pm
clintonb.67261's picture

I was having problems getting my ATV 2 in to DFU mode so I restored it factory settings in iTunes, then followed the basic directions and it worked fine.

July 13, 2011 - 7:38pm
daudm.1839's picture

I'm getting this error after trying to go into DFU mode.

"iTunes restore script failed!, selecting IPSW in finder..."

Anyone else seen this?

July 13, 2011 - 8:01pm
daudm.1839's picture

And now this after going a step further.. 

"The firmware AppleTV2,1_4.3_8F305_SP_Restore.ipsw is not compatible with this version of Seas0nPass."

??

July 16, 2011 - 2:48pm
glennh.72682's picture

murphyjr - your method worked for me - thanks!

July 30, 2011 - 10:27pm (Reply to #51)
davjac's picture
  Orijnal wrote:

I was having the same problem, but I found a bulletproof - at least in my experience - way of making the tethered boot work every time. I wrote these instructions for myself, so I've only tested them using a Mac... not sure if they work with Windows. Let me know if you are still having problems after following these steps (I will be really surprised):

• Open Seass0Pass, select the tethered boot option, & leave it open at the "waiting for dfu mode" screen
  • Unplug everything (hdmi cable on the aTV, power cable on the aTV, both ends of the USB cable)
  • Open iTunes
  • Connect the USB cable to the aTV, then into the Computer
  • iTunes should recognize the aTV
  • Press Menu and DOWN button for 6 seconds
  • then release
  • Wait 6 more seconds (just to be safe), then press Menu and Play/Pause for 7 seconds
  • release
  • Seas0nPass will now recognize the aTV in DFU mode and begin to work its magic
  • Once you see the progress bar advancing in Seas0nPass, plug in the Power cable to the aTV
  • Once you see the 'Tethered Boot Complete' screen, unplug the usb cable from the back of the aTV and plug in the HDMI cable (quickly)
  • aTV should now appear on the TV Smile

Good luck!

i have done this 100 times and every time i get the same message 

itunes restore script failed,selecting ipsw in finder

do that itunes says completed restore 

and i go through the same again,and again im getting just a little p.....off 

thanks

July 31, 2011 - 1:00am
stilldefiant's picture

From my personal experience:

The micro USB cable matters. I had a lot of trouble of iTunes not recognizing my appleTV and my Mac locking up during the jailbreak process. I first used one from my girl's phone charger and that didn't work. I bought a Gigaware brand from Radio Shack and that seemed to work off and on. I ended up taking that back and getting the gold plated version ($4 extra). That one worked. 

I used murphypjr's method (on page 1 of this thread) of getting into DFU mode and it worked.

I then got the iTunes restore script failed error message but I used the workaround described here:

http://forum.firecore.com/topic/3759

I hope this helps someone.

October 30, 2011 - 3:44pm
ericlloydmorelli's picture

So I too have been at this for hours. 

I have tired everything, seasonpass, green poison, and Pwnage and have run into two dead ends.

The first is pawnage. It got my ATV2 into DFU and created an .ipsw file... when I did the restore in iTunes is extracts the software then sends me an error saying my ATV2 is not eligible for the restore.

Greenpoison and Season pass just don't see my ATV2. iTunes however does. iTunes will be running on the ATV2 restore screen. I hold the PLAY and MENU button for 6, or 7 seconds, the light blinks really fast and iTunes disconnects from the ATV for a few seconds and then comes back on the restore screen.

So I think my cable is ok because iTunes sees the ATV Seasonpass just refuses to recognize it. I have also used this cable to jailbreak my ATV2 and my Friends about 6 months ago.I updated to the new 4.4 and wiped aTV flash from my ATV2 and now am trying to jailbreak it again. I did a factory restore to 4.3 before attempting the jailbreak too.

I've tried Murphjr's suggestion didn't work. I've tried tethered, unteathered, the combination of DFU mode accomplished through Pwnage and then running Seasonpass. Nada. I did a factory restore first through iTunes before doing both programs (seasonpass, greenpoison). I've tried switching the firmware settings in seasonpass preferences. I watched the light on the front as I was holding the buttons and nothing to make sure it was in DFU and nothing is working.

Has anyone else been able to see it in iTune and not in seasonpass?  

November 1, 2011 - 7:58am
happygq's picture

in my case, I have to connect power cord and do that 7 seconds thing, otherwise won't go to DFU at all.   actually it works all the time with power connected during jailbreak process. you will get error 1602, but no harm.

December 20, 2011 - 3:32am
hiendcomponent's picture

murphypjr said "I had the same problem when trying to jailbreak.... After a bit of playing around I found the following process to work:

2) Open iTunes

THEN

james SAID "Just FYI, the power cable should not be connected when jailbreaking the AppleTV. Only have it connected when walking through the tethered boot process.

AND I SAID JAMES JUST FYI. 

I followed murphypjr and i worked. 

December 30, 2011 - 1:29pm
heretosaveyouall's picture

Doesn't work. This was obviously a rush job & wasn't fully tested before being released. Really disappointed & wish I hadn't spent any money.

December 30, 2011 - 1:29pm
heretosaveyouall's picture

Doesn't work. This was obviously a rush job & wasn't fully tested before being released. Really disappointed & wish I hadn't spent any money.

December 30, 2011 - 2:14pm (Reply to #58)
marksthomas's picture
  heretosaveyouall wrote:

Works fine. Just you.

December 30, 2011 - 2:30pm
eirikri's picture

Hello, I'm soon going mad so hopefully someone can help me.

Got ATV2 a while back (before 4.4.4) and had the same problem then.

Using the seas0npass guide and downloading for windows, I do the ISPW step, but when I get to the DFU and connect my atv2 "nothing" happens. It blinks two times, computer makes the sound that it has detected it and then nothing. When I hold the play/pause it starts blinking rapidly after a few seconds and dies again when I let them go.

It does not blink like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bstb_GpyIoc

And the ATV2 does not go into DFU mode. I've tried with 3 different USB-cables and it works fine when I hook it up to the tv.

Anyone had this problem before? Solution?

Regards

December 30, 2011 - 9:17pm
Ash77's picture

I had same problem.  Problem was the usb cable i used didn't have enough power to power the Apple TV.  I simply plugged the powercord into the apple tv(after i plugged usb cable in) and then the lights started blinking and i was able to put the apple tv in the restore mode....