87 posts / 0 new / Last post
  December 30, 2011 - 10:03pm (Reply to #61)
mick3043's picture
Kudos: 0
  james wrote:

Just FYI, the power cable should not be connected when jailbreaking the AppleTV. Only have it connected when walking through the tethered boot process.

I'm sorry James, but murphy is right. I could not for the life of me get into dfu mode as described by yourselves.  I followed his instructions and it worked straight away. I realise you have nothing to do with Season Pass but it is needed to install your software and you give instructions as to how to install it so I think you should go back and examine your instructions and amend them. I also could not get the previous season pass to go into dfu mode fyi.

December 30, 2011 - 10:16pm (Reply to #62)
QuorthonRhar's picture
  mick3043 wrote:

I'm sorry James, but murphy is right. I could not for the life of me get into dfu mode as described by yourselves.  I followed his instructions and it worked straight away. I realise you have nothing to do with Season Pass but it is needed to install your software and you give instructions as to how to install it so I think you should go back and examine your instructions and amend them. I also could not get the previous season pass to go into dfu mode fyi.

I can confirm since it solved my problem too. Instructions needs to be rewritten or at least information about this added. I posted about my problem here:

http://forum.firecore.com/topic/6451

December 31, 2011 - 12:00am
øivindk.9184's picture

Had the same problem, the atv2 would not enter DFU mode. I ended up with plugging the power cable into the atv2 while entering DFU and then removed the power cable when seasonpass said it found atv2 in DFU. Everything worked fine the rest of the process.

December 31, 2011 - 7:30am
eirikri's picture

thank you so much. it work when I plugged in the power cable

January 19, 2012 - 3:13pm
dokitoedele@hotmail.com's picture

anyone having troubles getting in DFU, what worked for me was simply a new (no cheapo) cable. Did the trick in under 4 minutes.

January 23, 2012 - 11:56am
roland0's picture

What is pwnagetool, where and how to I get pwnagetool, and once I have it, how do I put it to work? I'm not Mac saavy, and am getting frustrated with this DFU mode not working.... Thanks for any assistance 

January 23, 2012 - 1:15pm
ervjohnston's picture

This is my experience with DFU mode:

1st tried as per instructions....no result

2nd tired pressing down and menu first to get the light flashing then hold menu and play for 7 seconds...no result

3rd read it might be my micro usb cable. Bought new cable tried 1st and 2nd was to get into DFU....no result

4th read some people had to plug their apple tv 2 in so I tried this and it worked!!! 

Now I am using a macbook so not sure if I needed to plug it in because the USB bus doesn't provided enough power to the apple tv from a laptop.

What's everyone else's experience. Did you get it working on a laptop without power? 

January 25, 2012 - 9:07pm
Glen Yates's picture

I agree with the power cord option. I've persevered with the instructions to no avail.

After launching Seas0nPass and letting it create the image, once it's it goes into the waiting for DFU message plug in your power cable then hold down Menu + Play, once the message on Seas0nPass changes unplug the power cable and it works. I agree with other posters, this should be added as a trouble shooting method if you're unable to put the ATV2 into DFU mode using the traditional instructions...

January 26, 2012 - 11:05am
RolfNL's picture

For anyone still having trouble to get AppleTV into DFU mode to get it jailbroken, i' ve gone through all the agony multiple times, and eventually found that it really was the micro USB cable to blame! Somehow a lot of them (i've tried many!) seem to differ internally and don't pass all the data. 

Perform this check before attempting to jailbreak:

- Connect AppleTV to your computer with the USB cable, and LEAVE THE POWER UNPLUGGED!
- Now open iTunes. If iTunes does not recognize your AppleTV, and there is no light flashing on the AppleTV; don't bother trying again. You've got a corrupted cable!

I bought a Belkin 0.9m USB to MicroUSB cable that finally worked. Jailbreaking went flawlessly.

Happy Jailbreaking!

January 29, 2012 - 12:24pm
mldixon's picture

I've really had it with this. I did have aTV Flash running on this aTV but made a mistake an loaded the updated apple software, this was before aTV flash was officially released.

Now I'm trying to jail brake it again and load the most recent aTVflash.

Its not the cable - for one I used it and it worked the last time. Second the aTV shows up in iTunes and and can be restored with it. So its no the cable.

I've tried many times with the directions.

I've tried with the power plugged in both power plugged in then USB then Powere unplugged then remote (menu/pause), and power plugged and pushing the remote buttons.

In all of these when the remote buttons are pressed th eight flashes fast enough it almost looks like a solid light. 

Nothing

May 18, 2012 - 11:05am
erikc.6843's picture

Yup plugging it in worked like a charm. I don't know if it is because my atv has been disconnected for so long or what. All I know is I'm not stuck Waiting for DFU Mode!

June 1, 2012 - 1:27pm
Rockin' Robbie's picture

I have the same issue.  I bought an Apple TV and fought my way through an installation last weekend.  I was successful and know the procedure so I thought I would help my friend out with his new apple tv.  I tired it on his pc's and no go.  The white light would not come on whenever the power was disconnected.  After 2 hours of trying everything I read (power plugged in, power plugged in at first and then removed, open iTunes, etc etc - all the suggestions I could find), I gave up and took his apple tv home because I knew my computer worked as I just did it the week before.

No such luck.  I have tried different usb cables (including the one I know worked the week before).  I have tried everything.  It seems that Seas0n does not restore in iTunes.  An error message pops up for about a millisecond and then shuts iTunes down.  It is to fast to read the error message or error number.  Also, on my numerous attempts today I have clicked the Boot Tether process and it just says successful, although I know I didn't do any thing.  It tells me I can successfully unplug my usb and plug in my hdmi to my tv.  I do not get any screen or any signal.  Not even the apple tv screen when it comes straight from the box.

If anybody can help, I would greatly appreciate it.  I have been at this for 6 hours now and am starting to lose my mind.  I haven't been able to find a forum or procedure or you tube video that I haven't tried with no luck.

Thanks for any help.

Rob

June 1, 2012 - 1:28pm (Reply to #73)
ormanton's picture
  Rockin' Robbie wrote:

I have the same issue.  I bought an Apple TV and fought my way through an installation last weekend.  I was successful and know the procedure so I thought I would help my friend out with his new apple tv.  I tired it on his pc's and no go.  The white light would not come on whenever the power was disconnected.  After 2 hours of trying everything I read (power plugged in, power plugged in at first and then removed, open iTunes, etc etc - all the suggestions I could find), I gave up and took his apple tv home because I knew my computer worked as I just did it the week before. No such luck.  I have tried different usb cables (including the one I know worked the week before).  I have tried everything.  It seems that Seas0n does not restore in iTunes.  An error message pops up for about a millisecond and then shuts iTunes down.  It is to fast to read the error message or error number.  Also, on my numerous attempts today I have clicked the Boot Tether process and it just says successful, although I know I didn't do any thing.  It tells me I can successfully unplug my usb and plug in my hdmi to my tv.  I do not get any screen or any signal.  Not even the apple tv screen when it comes straight from the box. If anybody can help, I would greatly appreciate it.  I have been at this for 6 hours now and am starting to lose my mind.  I haven't been able to find a forum or procedure or you tube video that I haven't tried with no luck. Thanks for any help. Rob  

HE HAS ATV3

2008-atv1
2011-atv2
2012-atv3 (getting dusty waiting for a miracle)

June 1, 2012 - 1:33pm
Rockin' Robbie's picture

Thanks,

How can I confirm the version he has vs the version I bought last week?  and how do I get at least his normal APPLE TV screen back? I seemed to have lost that now.  Frown

June 1, 2012 - 1:43pm (Reply to #75)
ormanton's picture
  Rockin' Robbie wrote:

Thanks, How can I confirm the version he has vs the version I bought last week?  and how do I get at least his normal APPLE TV screen back? I seemed to have lost that now.  Frown

restore in itunes in normal way. connect power cable , then usb.

atv 3 model number is 199

2008-atv1
2011-atv2

June 1, 2012 - 1:59pm
Rockin' Robbie's picture

I have model #A1427.  The model I jailbroke for myself last weekend was  #A1378

June 1, 2012 - 2:22pm
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 117

You can tell which model you have by whether it supports 720p or 1080p (see my sig).

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

June 1, 2012 - 2:28pm (Reply to #78)
ormanton's picture
  itimpi wrote:

You can tell which model you have by whether it supports 720p or 1080p (see my sig).

it is all clear already, check my post

2008-atv1
2011-atv2

June 1, 2012 - 2:28pm (Reply to #79)
ormanton's picture
  Rockin' Robbie wrote:

I have model #A1427.  The model I jailbroke for myself last weekend was  #A1378

A1427 = MD199LL/A = ATV3  

2008-atv1
2011-atv2

June 3, 2012 - 4:25pm (Reply to #80)
stefanoc.109269's picture
  murphypjr wrote:

I had the same problem when trying to jailbreak.... After a bit of playing around I found the following process to work:

1) Connect ATV2 up to a power source (contrary to the instructions)).

2) Open iTunes

3) Hook up the micro USB.

4) Then remove the power cable (standby light should be blinking), wait a second or two and then press 'menu' and 'pause' together for 7 seconds.

This seemed to work for me when jailbreaking.... let me know if it works for you chaps.

It works really great. Thanks

S

September 4, 2012 - 10:53am (Reply to #81)
alexsirota's picture
  murphypjr wrote:

I had the same problem when trying to jailbreak.... After a bit of playing around I found the following process to work:

2) Open iTunes

4) Then remove the power cable (standby light should be blinking), wait a second or two and then press 'menu' and 'pause' together for 7 seconds.

This seemed to work for me when jailbreaking.... let me know if it works for you chaps.

The key step in murphypjr's process is step 4. If you have the Status LED light blinking (slowly like it does when atv starts up with the boot process) then you should be good to go to get into the DFU.

If your status LED is blinking really fast (flickering) or not onl at all, and your MENU+PLAY activates the LED and then it starts blinking AFTER you press it, you'll have an error 16xx in iTunes after the restore.

The light must be blinking as in Step 4, and the power cable seems to make it blink like this after you connect to usb, remove power cable  after the blinking is happening to ensure a proper jailbreak.

BTW, there are 3 different speeds of blinking + steady on (very slow, 1 per sec, 2-3 per sec as per the requirement in step 4, and fast flicker when the atv is force restrated with menu + down arrow held down).

September 14, 2012 - 12:16pm
abuchris's picture

just to verify what alex above wrote.

I had a ton of problems, then I connected the power, waited for blinking lights, disconnected power, and held menu + play/pause. Worked like a charm. 

It would seem that there's an issue with the amount of power being delivered through usb, being insufficient to start DFU mode, but once the apple tv is in a start up mode, there's no problem.

September 14, 2012 - 12:38pm
alexsirota's picture

Good to hear. I am not sure about the USB issue -- it could be also that the DFU mode has been altered with iOS 5 and AppleTV. Who really knows what happened? But I know for sure that if the lights are not blinking when you try to go into DFU at that rate, it's a no go. If the status light is off and you try to go into DFU you can get them to blink, and they will start, but you won't get a proper firmware restore.

So yah, I think you have to have the AppleTV in a certain mode before anything happens.

And with AppleTV 3, I don't even know if there is a DFU mode.

This write up shows that you have to restart your AppleTV after connecting it with the miniUSB cable and only then go to DFU mode. Your mileage may vary.

September 14, 2012 - 6:36pm
kajun's picture

There was a member here that posted that he used a powered usb hub to jailbreak his atv2 after many tries without it.

He said it worked the first try. I have not tried this simply because i have not had any jailbreaking or dfu mode problems.

February 2, 2013 - 9:12am (Reply to #85)
sd2's picture
sd2
  murphypjr wrote:

2) Open iTunes

Thanks This worked for me

November 23, 2016 - 12:06am
bmfb1980's picture

I'm thoroughly convinced that all firecore's efforts are devoted to infuse now. The ATV silver flash was broken (for who knows how long) and thankfully after nagging them, they recently fixed it.

Now, I've discovered that seas0nPass is broken. It does NOT recognize DFU mode. iTunes is telling me the device is in recovery mode, and I can play with ipsw files both there and in SP, but the software sits forever waiting to enter DFU mode. I'm 100% positive my ATV2 is in DFU. I've spent 3 DAYS learning everything there is to know about DFU, and have tried EVERY combination of tricks and suggestions. But they don't matter if the software is broken.

Even the illustrations are wrong. They currently show a TETHERED JB. The 5.3.1 is untethered.... who in their right minds would even want a tethered unit? Anytime the power goes out, you have to connect it back to the PC. Or if you put it on an outlet strip and shut it down when not using it... you have to reboot with a PC. Seriously, you should never even put out "tethered" software hacks.

I even tried using the prior release of SP from git, but it doesn't work because some kind of connection to FC is broken for it.

so PLEASE fix your software - for all the products that got you to INFUSE. Seriously... if you don't bother to maintain software... I really am wondering why I paid for the pro version of Infuse... as I'm expecting Infuse to quit working sometime in the next year or two when you've moved onto another project, based upon your track record with the flash and seas0npass projects Frown