596 posts / 0 new / Last post
  April 5, 2011 - 1:18am (Reply to #61)
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 105

If you are using a tethered jailbreak then that is expected behavior. With a tethered jailbreak the ATV2 needs to be booted while connected to your PC/Mac with the JB tool running to complete he boot.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

April 5, 2011 - 7:16am (Reply to #62)
peterr.3601's picture
Kudos: 0

Actually I think it's XBMC - did all the steps again, but didn't install XBMC and is working fine... will wait for an update that has a fix for that before I install it I think. 

April 7, 2011 - 10:14am
minameismud's picture

First post in the thread says 0.7.4 is the latest version. Every time I click the download link for the Mac version on this page (http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605-jailbreaking-101-seas0npass) the version I get is 0.7.3. 

April 8, 2011 - 4:07pm (Reply to #64)
imjesuschris's picture

same for me. I found this one 0.7.4 http://mac.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=7085&file=9&evp=a57b5dc43c2... doing the jailbreak now!.

April 9, 2011 - 7:21am (Reply to #65)
minameismud's picture

That's it! Thank you so much! Hey fireCore! Update your your own server with the new file!  Frown

April 10, 2011 - 8:49pm
xpertxp's picture

Ok, I used the latest version of Seas0nPass on my Win7 PC.  All goes smooth, creates the IPSW, I can get the ATV 2G into DFU, it uploads something to the AppleTV and then it proceeds to tell me to restore in iTunes as it should normally with the newly created IPSW.  I do that, the AppleTV restores, unplug it when its finished, plug it into my TV and I see nothing new on the screen.  What steps am I missing here?  This is an untethered boot right?  Do I need to do that tethered boot thing one time only?  I dont get it, I have done this 3 times now thinking im selecting the wrong firmware, but everytime I restore, nothing has changed.  What am I doing wrong?Thanks in advance for the help!

April 10, 2011 - 10:24pm
itimpi's picture

Nothing visible will change after the jailbreak usig SeaonPass until you install some additional software! Things you should be able to do at this point are:
- install ATV Blak using its install program. When this has succeeded the a Maintenance menu appears. Some people seem to have trouble (cause not yet known) getting the ATV Black installer to recognise the ATV2 - in this case a command line install (as mentioned in next point) can be used.
- SSH into the ATV2 and run command line programs. Username root and password alpine (until you change the password). This can be used as an altenative way to install the ATV Black software.

April 12, 2011 - 2:14pm
salam2009's picture
Kudos: 2

I couldn't get into DFU Mode at all !!I used Seas0nPass & Sn0wbreeze & even PwnageTool with no luck FrownFYI, I have latest versions for all (atv2,itunes,etc.) & used micro-usb with power cable disconnected.Please HELP ME!

April 14, 2011 - 2:04am
peterjlay's picture

Use iREB r4 from ih8sn0w.com to get into DFU mode on Apple TV 2

April 14, 2011 - 1:31pm (Reply to #70)
salam2009's picture
Kudos: 2
  peterjlay wrote:

Use iREB r4 from ih8sn0w.com to get into DFU mode on Apple TV 2

Didn't work either FrownThanks for trying anyway

May 6, 2011 - 6:45am
ktjensen's picture

I notice there is NO discussion about what version of Apple TV software is running on your ATV2.  Since there has always been confusion about this, I suggest the following first step before you use Seasonpass or any other jailbreak tool:
1)  Attach the Apple TV 2 to your MAC or PC, with a USB cable, and no power cable.  Start up ITUNES.  Do a complete RESTORE of your APPLE TV 2 the latest version of software, as prompted by ITUNES.  If you can do this, then your USB cable works (no power cable required), and your computer (PC or MAC) will work to attempt to jailbreak with seasonpass, or some other software.  (if your jailbreak tool can not handle the latest version of Apple TV 2 software as supplied by Apple, then do not even try to continue, you will only have heartbreak, if you can not restore).
Note 1:  please realize that most of the versions of other jailbreak software on the internet, are not set up to work with the latest version of apple TV software, on your fresh apple TV 2, as they were developed with the previous version of apple tv 2 software.  Some require a virtual server tool like TINYUMBRELLA to function correctly after being installed on your computer.  Some require your HOSTS file to be modified on your computer.  Changing the HOSTS file or using TINYUMBRELLA might prevent a restore from working with ITUNES.
Note 2:  Also realize what TETHERED boot really means for you, when using your apple TV 2.  Hoping that SEASONPASS has released an un-teathered boot for both computer systems (MAC and PC), but get the feeling that is not true yet, as of the date of this message posting.  My personal opinion is that a TEATHERED boot is very useless for 90% of the users out there.  Most do not want to have a PC or MAC right next to your plasma or LCD tv, thus the point of having an Apple TV 2.   

May 6, 2011 - 8:02am (Reply to #72)
itimpi's picture
  ktjensen wrote:

Hoping that SEASONPASS has released an un-teathered boot for both computer systems (MAC and PC), but get the feeling that is not true yet, as of the date of this message posting. 

What makes you think this?   SeasonPass untethered jailbreak for the latest iOS has been available for some weeks now on both Mac and Windows.

May 6, 2011 - 8:46am (Reply to #73)
ktjensen's picture
  itimpi wrote:

What makes you think this?   SeasonPass untethered jailbreak for the latest iOS has been available for some weeks now on both Mac and Windows.

Good on UNTEATHERED  then I will add to my instruction above.  Will try this out tonight:
1)  As above.  Connect your apple TV 2 to your PC or MAC.  Do a restore in ITUNES.  If successful, then your USB cable is good, and your computer is good.  You can go onto the next step.
2)  Run SEASONPASS first time.  Check if SEASONPASS is functional, and your Apple TV 2 shows that it was successful via your plasma HDTV.  If Seasonpass works fine, then immediately do a RESTORE with ITUNES back to a standard Apple TV 2 setup.  See if everything is working correctly with your Apple TV 2.
3)  Run SEASONPASS a second time.  Install ATVFLASH for the Apple TV 2 per instructions.  Attach your Apple TV 2 to your plasma HDTV.  Everything should be set.
4)  **OPTIONAL**.  Do a factory RESTORE via ITUNES to your apple tv 2 a second time.  To prove that it will work.  Prove to yourself.  And label the USB cable you used.  Then re-install SEASONPASS a third time, and ATVFLASH a second time for apple tv 2.  Report it here that you are successful.  Help your friends get this running too.  Share the tech love.  Try this all again when the factory Apple company changes the software revision on the Apple TV 2.  

May 8, 2011 - 6:46am (Reply to #74)
ktjensen's picture

I had complete success yesterday with installing SEASONPASS and getting it to jailbreak my APPLE TV 2.  Everything runs terrific. Am now way beyound that as I installed a new NIGHTLY BUILD of XBMC with various ADDONS (aka Plug-ins) and installed a PLEX application on my ATV 2.  nice nice nice  

May 13, 2011 - 2:42am
gpdl67's picture

Sorry, but the windows version of seas0npass is for 8F202 firmware version and not for 8F305. The newest version of seas0npass is only for MAC!

May 15, 2011 - 12:12am
MrAnderson69uk's picture

This may have been mentioned already, but I was initially having no luck getting my ATV2 in to DFU mode - it was simlpy that the Mini USB to Micro USB adapter I got off Amazon was mearly a charging adapter (although I'm sure that's not what it was sold as when I got it a few months ago!)

It looks like this

[[wysiwyg_imageupload:62:]]

With a knife I split the two halves of the plastic casing to reveal just 2 wires connecting pins 1 and 5 for +5v and GND. Also pins 2 and 4 on the Micro USB end were connected together (the ID and Rx pins). So I undid 2 + 4 and found some fine wire to solder pins 2, 3 and 4 to make it a straight-thru adapter.

Problem solved.

Cheers
Mr A

May 20, 2011 - 12:40pm
georges.4040's picture

I have done all the troubleshooting steps and tips. I get to step 4 but ATV never enters DFU Mode. I get the ATV lights to flash rapidly by holding the Menu and Play buttons on the ATV remote, then nothing. Instructions say iTunes will open automatically, well it didn't for me. I am using an XP PC to run SeasOnPass only because the Mac version requires an intel chip, all my Macs are older and without that chip. I have iTunes installed on the PC and I did buy the special USB cable to link the ATV with the PC, but it's not working. I did open a case with FireCore but haven't had a reply. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

May 21, 2011 - 5:16pm
hiramp.3837's picture

After spending an entire day trying to get Seasonpass to jailbreak by ATV, I FINALLY hit upon a combination that worked for me.  I followed ALL of the suggestions to the letter and was still getting a variety of error ranging from Error 21 to 1604 to 31-something.  I even tried keeping Umbrella on during the Restore.  Nothing worked.  It seemed that I just couldn't get iTunes to restore the modified ipsw.

Here's what finally worked for me:  I followed the instructions in the Firecore jailbreak guide - run Seasonpass followed by select Create IPSW.  However, when it finished creating the ispw and BEFORE I connected the USB cable to the ATV, I opened iTunes.  I then continued following the Seasonpass instructions - connect the USB, press Menu/Pause for 7 seconds, and so on.  Once Seasonpass finished uploading drivers to the ATV, it poped up a final box saying that iTunes should open automatically.  It never did in the multiple times I tried it.  BUT, since I ALREADY had iTunes open, all I had to do was switch over to the iTunes window, hit Shift Restore, select the modified ispw file, and the restore went through.  The KEY seemed to be having iTunes ALREADY OPEN so you can immediately begin the restore process without having to disconnect the USB or hit Menu/Pause again to get the ATV to show up on iTunes.

I sincerely hope this helps some other frustrated soul.

I've  now got Firecore fully installed and am logging off to go play with the new features.......

May 29, 2011 - 7:28pm
richardy.58181's picture

This is bad, at this point in the game there should not be so many errors.
This should only be sold to advanced users with experience SSHing into a device.

I have been trying this for months with the different versions, it worked for me once (after scouring the forums) Bach when I used green poison. The season pass is now much improved but ATVflash rarely finds the device for people on the first try.

I gave fire core the benefit of the doubt but time is up, this is a terrible experiance for the average user.
It's time for refunds

June 1, 2011 - 2:16pm
laurar.0158's picture

Richard,

I have to agree. 

I purchased aTV Flash (black) in December, only to find out it couldn't even run on my aTV at the time because they hadn't yet jailbroken the software yet. Then, I waited four months for an untethered jailbreak.

I finally attempt to jailbreak my aTV again (so it would be untethered) and Seas0nPass bricks the damn thing. I had to take it back to Apple and get an entirely new aTV, since it wouldn't even restore from Apple's servers. Of course, Firecore just spews the same tired advice.

Now I have my new aTV and am out $20 because of a program I can't even use. (Not that it was that great when I was using it.)

June 5, 2011 - 7:26am
hoggdoc's picture

Seas0nPass doesn't work for me at all.  these tips don't work, I can't get any support from this company. WTF?  Am I the only one with issues jail-breaking their ATV2G running the latest up date froM Apple?

Question once you get the aTV Flash loaded do you have an issue every time Apple updates the Firnware for the ATV2G?  If so this would be a royal pain in the A*s.

Howdy everyone

June 13, 2011 - 3:11pm (Reply to #82)
hoggdoc's picture
  breban wrote:
  breban wrote:

I've been unable to get my Atv 2 into DFU mode.  Tried the instructions and other tricks online but still won't work.  Any suggestions?  I'm on 4.1.1.

I finally found a solution to my problem.  The Seas0npass instructions mention to keep your aTV unplugged prior to entering it into DFU mode.  However, the power cord has to be recently removed prior to doing the 'Menu/Play' step with your remote.  The jailbreak steps work best when the computer and the TV are close by.  Mine weren't and having to plugging and unplugging the power defintely caused issues.  I ended up bringing my mac by my TV and doing everything from there.  Hope this helps and saves others some time.

SO are you saying the power plug needs to be plugged into the ATV2 while you push the Menu & Pause/Play buttons?  Also why couldn't you just move the power plug closer to the MAC?  I doubt the proximity to the TV has anything to do with this process.

Howdy everyone

June 16, 2011 - 7:39am (Reply to #83)
turgon's picture
  hoggdoc wrote:

Seas0nPass doesn't work for me at all.  these tips don't work, I can't get any support from this company. WTF?  Am I the only one with issues jail-breaking their ATV2G running the latest up date froM Apple?

I just had to do this last night - I had to "unjailbreak" (i.e., restore the original Apple firmware), so that I could update it to the latest Apple firmware. There are audio options in the latest firmware that will enable 5.1 surround and DTS sound from XBMC. Restoring original Apple firmware in Itunes was easy, and worked the first time. So did updating the firmware to the latest Apple firmware, using Itunes.

Re-jailbreaking it after running the update, I had a lot of the same problems. Tried it on my WinXp machine; couldn't get the thing to enter DFU mode - plugged in or unplugged. Finally worked when I did it from my Win 7 laptop, and did the same - only unplugged the power *after* I had connected the USB cable and used the 2 buttons on the remote. Then it worked. (not the first time - got a 1600 on that attempt. But the 2nd time *did* work, and now I have the better audio in XMBC).

hoggdoc wrote:

Question once you get the aTV Flash loaded do you have an issue every time Apple updates the Firnware for the ATV2G?  If so this would be a royal pain in the A*s.

Well, you'd have to restore and re-jailbreak, yes. Or you could just not get the updated firmware. I wasn't going to get the updated firmware, but I wanted some things that only the updated firmware supported.

June 23, 2011 - 2:45pm
Sellis79's picture

How long does the unzipping of the ipsw file take? Currently on about 30 minutes!

June 23, 2011 - 3:08pm (Reply to #85)
oxyrox's picture
  Sellis79 wrote:

How long does the unzipping of the ipsw file take? Currently on about 30 minutes!

Same issue here... tried the most recent version on PC (Win 7) & Mac (OS X 10.6). It doesn't stop unzipping. I let it run for at least 4 hrs!

Is it possible that Apple released a new Version of the 8F305 Build? Over the Net I found different SHA-1 checksums of the (supposedly) same file.

Any ideas? Help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

June 23, 2011 - 3:11pm (Reply to #86)
Sellis79's picture
  oxyrox wrote:

Same issue here... tried the most recent version on PC (Win 7) & Mac (OS X 10.6). It doesn't stop unzipping. I let it run for at least 4 hrs!

Is it possible that Apple released a new Version of the 8F305 Build? Over the Net I found different SHA-1 checksums of the (supposedly) same file.

Any ideas? Help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

I'm gonna try snow breeze on a windows pc. Will let you know how I get on

June 23, 2011 - 3:49pm (Reply to #87)
itimpi's picture
  oxyrox wrote:

Is it possible that Apple released a new Version of the 8F305 Build? Over the Net I found different SHA-1 checksums of the (supposedly) same file.   Regards

Form other messages it appears that the build being downloaded fom Apple does not work - the ones available on the net are larger and do work.   There have been issues with the Apple download servers, so In wonder if they are not fully resolved?

June 23, 2011 - 10:16pm (Reply to #88)
oxyrox's picture
  Sellis79 wrote:

I'm gonna try snow breeze on a windows pc. Will let you know how I get on

Thanks, but I tried snowbreeze already. PwnageTool aswell... With the newer and smaller ATV restore file all those tools tell me that they don't recognize the restore file or whatever... Confused

Does anyone know a mirror with the older and larger 8F305 builds? Or maybe could provide one?

Thank you

June 24, 2011 - 12:39am
Sellis79's picture

I found a larger version of the file, and it got passed the unzipping stage etc, but then I done the whole holding down menu and play buttons, it lauched iTunes and then failed to initialise some scrips and failed.  I even tried to manually uploaded the ipsw seas0npass created via itunes myself, but it says the device is not authorised for this build. So back to the drawing board for me Frown

June 24, 2011 - 2:53am
oxyrox's picture

Could you please post the link to this file? I'd also like to try (no offense!)^^