596 posts / 0 new / Last post
  October 28, 2011 - 1:00pm
ryanw.8484's picture
Kudos: 0

removed post as I realized there was another thread.  

October 29, 2011 - 7:14am
marios.51477's picture

the latest version 0.7.9 always downloads the old ipsw 4.3.

i've already downloaded the newest 4.4, but there's no option to choose this one.

October 30, 2011 - 3:34am (Reply to #153)
Zuul's picture
  marios.51477 wrote:

the latest version 0.7.9 always downloads the old ipsw 4.3.

i've already downloaded the newest 4.4, but there's no option to choose this one.

Just confirming this....seas0npass downloads the old ipsw, and if I try to download latest file from apple I get: AppleTV2,1_4.4.2_9A336a_Restore.zip

There is NO ipsw-file in that zip-file.

October 30, 2011 - 5:35am (Reply to #154)
marios.51477's picture
  Zuul wrote:

Just confirming this....seas0npass downloads the old ipsw, and if I try to download latest file from apple I get: AppleTV2,1_4.4.2_9A336a_Restore.zip

There is NO ipsw-file in that zip-file.

i've got this one on that site:

http://blog.firecore.com/5606

just scroll down a little bit. at "how do i update?" at point 1, this link will do it. but anyhow, there's no way to choose this file for seasonpass.

October 30, 2011 - 8:15am (Reply to #155)
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 107
  Zuul wrote:

Just confirming this....seas0npass downloads the old ipsw, and if I try to download latest file from apple I get: AppleTV2,1_4.4.2_9A336a_Restore.zip There is NO ipsw-file in that zip-file.

Are you Internet Explorer as your browser?   IE insists on renaming .ipsw files to have a .zip extension, so probably all you need to do is rename the file.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

October 30, 2011 - 8:29am (Reply to #156)
Zuul's picture
  itimpi wrote:

Are you Internet Explorer as your browser?   IE insists on renaming .ipsw files to have a .zip extension, so probably all you need to do is rename the file.

Yes I renamed the zip file and it worked like a charm Smile WTF is up with IE doing s**t like that? It's confusing enough for a first time jailbreaker as myself trying to jailbreak without stunts like that Grin Thanks Itimpi !

EDIT: I used latest seas0npass and 4.4.2 ipsw using a USB extender cable so that I could do a tethered boot later on and the jailbreak failed. Now I removed the extender and it worked Smile

For the tethered boot I plugged the extender back in and it worked again...strange stuff..but whatever. Now I got nitoTV and xbmc installed and am a happy camper Smile

October 30, 2011 - 8:35am (Reply to #157)
Zuul's picture
  marios.51477 wrote:

i've got this one on that site:

http://blog.firecore.com/5606

just scroll down a little bit. at "how do i update?" at point 1, this link will do it. but anyhow, there's no way to choose this file for seasonpass.

Did you shift+click on "make ipsw" and manually browse for the new ipsw file you downloaded?

October 30, 2011 - 1:55pm (Reply to #158)
marios.51477's picture
  Zuul wrote:

Did you shift+click on "make ipsw" and manually browse for the new ipsw file you downloaded?

no, i didn't Grin

thanks for the clue

for mac users: Alt+click

November 2, 2011 - 3:25am
felixfx's picture

Hello....

i tried to jailbreak with latest Seas0nPass Version but i failed to create the custom ipsw. When Seas0nPass starts 'Decrypting ramdisk...' i got this error.

xpwntool.exe application error

the application failed to intialize properly (0xc0150002). Click on OK to terminate

i am using a fresh installed windows xp with MS .NET Framework 4. Does anyone have an idea how to solve that problem ?

November 4, 2011 - 6:32am
joseph .7360's picture

I have never had a problem with jailbreaking with Seasonpass until now.

Two tries, each lasting 40 minutes. The hang up is during the patching ramdisk? building...it just keeps going. Any solutions? I would love to have Firecore back and running, especially knowing mirroring from Ipad2 is functional with Firecore. Also no error messages, just does not complete the process. The IPSW is created.

One day later and very disappointed. Downloaded fresh Seasonpass and the recommended 4.4 from this website. Unzips, IPSW is createsd  but the patching ramdisk next step ran for an hour, again going nowhere.

So, what is the problem:  Seasonpass or the 4.4 IPSW download being provided? Doing this on a black Macbook, OS10.6

November 18, 2011 - 4:12am
ortwin's picture

today. we have a new version from iTunes 10.5.1 und from Apple tv2 4.4.3 seasOnpass are NOT supported and NOT supported tav flash 1.0 

November 18, 2011 - 10:33am
joseph .7360's picture

Why bother with the 4.4.3 update? Nothing significant there unless you want Netflix in Mexico and a sound out issue when turning off a a television. However, thanks for the Seasonpass update so quickly for those who may really want the 4.4.3 upgrade. I can wait for a major change.

November 20, 2011 - 10:11am
popoto's picture

Hello, I'm having problems with installing season pass. I have the most updated seasonpass and itunes. the process works fine up until it asks me do i want to automatically install the firmware in itunes. Itunes starts up but it doesn't detect my apple tv 2. Thank you for any help.

November 20, 2011 - 10:40am
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 107

If iTunes is not even seeing the ATV2 then it strongly suggests that the micro USB cable might be at fault.   Another (although less frequent) issue is te USB port being used having issues. 

While I think of it - it is important that the USB is connected directly - not via a USB hub.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

November 20, 2011 - 5:59pm
wedge07's picture

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:27 am

Issue 1: my ATV won't go into DFU unless plugged in.  It's on 4.4.3.  I was able to force it buy plugging in USB first, then Power until the light began blinking, then placed into DFU.  Once in DFU I unplugged the power cable as suggest by another poster.  Comments?

Issue 2: after the custom firmware is imported into iTunes, I get the "device is unsupported for this build."   Tried it several times.  Tried with a fresh install of IPSW to AppleTV, Seas0nPass and still got the same error.

Need your help.

Thanks

wedge

November 22, 2011 - 11:34am
joseph .7360's picture

I made the mistake of trying to ssh XBMC via Cydia then nightly build with a previous healthy install of ATVflash black 1.o via Season pass with 4.4.2. Made an error somewhere, however I have done it successfully before. Anyway, I had to reinstall Apple ATV2 4.4.3 via Itunes.  No problems with ITUNES reinstall, no usb issue. However, when I use SeasOpass for 4.4.3,  all goes well with unzipping, ram disk, everyhing is ok until the final message...error 1604.   I know this is not a usb issue. Any suggestions. UPDATE-All is OK . I hauled my IMAC downstairs and in less than 15 minutes I have 4.4.3 installed and aTVFlash-black 1. 0 up and running. Since 4.3, it seems my black Macbook won't complete the upgrade following all the steps. as mentioned earlier. It took my IMac to install 4.3 as well. Just wondering if I should leave the ATV powered through the whole install process until I have to do the tethered boot.

Well, I am not going to play with it now. And I will just have to stay away from XBMC on the ATV@ until it can successfully be loaded from Nito or even Firecore at a later date. Until then, it is hook up the Macbook to the TV for Hulu, and Icefilms (and PBS when running again) via XBMC. Seems to be a hardware issue for me, unless I can find a mentioned software conflict in the other posts. So folks, try a second computer when you can. The folks here are providing a good thing. Let's help by doing our part, when we can.

November 22, 2011 - 2:18pm
breizh69's picture

hi o try to jailbreak on mac but i have always the message : iTunes restore script failed, selecting IPSW in Finder... when i try to restore in iTunes`How can i finish the jailbreak ?

thanks

November 22, 2011 - 7:01pm
kopiman's picture

trying to instal atv flash but says "looks like your device is not jailbroken...etc"   but jailbroke went fine, done that several times..but still. Runing latest 4.4.3 gen2

???

November 23, 2011 - 4:18pm (Reply to #169)
andyloc1@gmail.com's picture
  breizh69 wrote:

hi o try to jailbreak on mac but i have always the message : iTunes restore script failed, selecting IPSW in Finder... when i try to restore in iTunes`How can i finish the jailbreak ?

thanks

exactly what I'm stuck at too, Ive tried about 10 times now. I'm on an iMac v10.7.2 Lion, iTunes 10.5.1

please please help, my aTV is a doorstep at moment 

November 25, 2011 - 1:09pm
WOODY B's picture

Easy Jailbreak APPLE TV2 Black  

Hi everyone this worked for me the first time I tried it 

(KEEP APPLE TV POWER CORD PLUGGED IN WHERE YOU WANT TO USE IT YOU AND DO NOT UNPLUG DURING THIS PROCEDURE)

1 Download the latest 4.4.3 (9A405l) IPSW from Seas0nPass 

2 Connect Apple TV to your computer with an extended USB cable long enough to reach where you will use Apple TV will be used  

3 Plug in Apple TV power cord 

4 Open Seas0nPass and select Create IPSW while holding down Option Key Seas0nPass will look for latest IPSW 4.4.3 (9A405l) you downloaded in step 1

5 Seas0nPass will complete the jailbreak and restore process automatically through iTunes

6 After the restore is complete follow the steps for performing a  Tethered Boot. 

7 Unplug USB and Connect HDMI before the light stops blinking (no rush just don’t unplug power cable)

8 Launch latest aTV Flash aTV Flash (black) 1.0 Now Available

I had tried every possible suggested procedure for several weeks only getting all sorts of error messages so I tried my own Ideas and this one worked for me on the first try. 

Woody B B what you ask? Beeeee louuuud

November 25, 2011 - 1:31pm
WOODY B's picture

Easy Jailbreak For APPLE TV2 Black 
(KEEP APPLE TV POWER CORD PLUGGED IN WHERE YOU WANT TO USE IT AND DON’T UNPLUG DURING THIS PROCEDURE)
2 Connect Apple TV to your computer with an extended USB cable long enough to reach where you will use Apple TV
4 Open Seas0nPass and select Create IPSW while holding down Option Key Seas0nPass will look for latest IPSW 4.4.3 (9A405l) you downloaded in step 1
5 Seas0nPass will complete the jailbreak and restore process automatically through iTunes
6 After the restore is complete follow the steps for performing a Tethered Boot.
7 Unplug USB and Connect HDMI before the light stops blinking (no rush just don’t unplug power cable)
8 Complete set up choices Language, wi-fi, Home Sharing etc etc
9 Launch latest aTV Flash aTV Flash (black) 1.0 Now Available
Please let me know if this is helpful because I had tried every possible suggested procedure for several weeks only getting error messages so I tried my own Idea and this one worked for me on the first try.

November 25, 2011 - 1:56pm
joseph .7360's picture

Working from a Mac or PC. Desktop or laptop?

November 25, 2011 - 2:07pm
WOODY B's picture

Easy Jailbreak For APPLE TV2 Black 
(KEEP APPLE TV POWER CORD PLUGGED IN WHERE YOU WANT TO USE IT AND DON’T UNPLUG DURING THIS PROCEDURE)
2 Connect Apple TV to your computer with an extended USB cable long enough to reach where you will use Apple TV
4 Open Seas0nPass and select Create IPSW while holding down Option Key Seas0nPass will look for latest IPSW 4.4.3 (9A405l) you downloaded in step 1
6 After the restore is complete follow the steps for performing a Tethered Boot.
8 Complete set up choices Language, wi-fi, Home Sharing etc etc
9 Launch latest aTV Flash aTV Flash (black) 1.0 Now Available
I’m using an iMac from 2008 Running Mac OS X 10.7.2 LION and iTunes10.5.1 
Please let me know if this is helpful because I had tried every possible suggested procedure for several weeks only getting error messages so I tried my own Idea and this one worked for me on the first try.

November 25, 2011 - 2:09pm (Reply to #174)
WOODY B's picture
  joseph .7360 wrote:

Working from a Mac or PC. Desktop or laptop?

I’m using a 24”iMac from 2008 Running Mac OS X 10.7.2 LION and iTunes10.5.1

November 25, 2011 - 2:50pm
joseph .7360's picture

Thanks. No probs when using my IMac either. Only when I try it with my black Macbook. Although I have not tried keeping the power plugged in through the whole process. May I'll experiment with the next upgrade.

November 25, 2011 - 8:57pm (Reply to #176)
WOODY B's picture
  joseph .7360 wrote:

Thanks. No probs when using my IMac either. Only when I try it with my black Macbook. Although I have not tried keeping the power plugged in through the whole process. May I'll experiment with the next upgrade.

I’ve got 2 4TB and 1 2TB external hard drive with 1300 BluRAY movies 220 concerts 1TB of TV programming in Hi Def

(10 TB in total all down loaded from internet in every known format) 

The Apple TV with aTV Flash (black) 1.0 Now Available installed will display all your media files on your network in the Media Files menu and plays them all @ 720p and 5.1 ch Audio. 

November 28, 2011 - 8:05pm
alanna25's picture

Woody...you are a lifesaver!!!  Thank you, thank you for your explicit directions, it worked for me!  I had spent hours trying to figure out why my jailbreak and tether would be successful, but when I unplugged and replugged back in next to the TV, it would only show the iTunes logo and USB cord.  I was about at my wits end.  The secret is to keep it plugged in, for sure!

Instead of using a log USB cord I used a long power cord to reach my iMac, which thankfully is not too far from my TV.

My ATV Black 1.0 updated without a hitch.

I hope this helps other people, this was why I waited 6+ months to update iTunes because I was afraid of it taking hours or workarounds for it to work.  Next time, I will definitely remember this handy tip.

Enjoy your holidays!

November 29, 2011 - 11:50am (Reply to #178)
breizh69's picture

@Woody

ARGGH i try your method 3 times but it don't work ... :(

that don't work for me in step 5 seasonpass ask me to chosse the good file to restore and if i clic on it nothing happened... 

What can i do ?

December 8, 2011 - 7:52am (Reply to #179)
håkan.5814's picture
  breizh69 wrote:

@Woody

ARGGH i try your method 3 times but it don't work ...  Frown

that don't work for me in step 5 seasonpass ask me to chosse the good file to restore and if i clic on it nothing happened... 

What can i do ?

I had same problem as you. When i picked the file and selected open, Seasonpass died and nothin happend. I then right clicked the .ipsw file and removed "Read only" attribute. Then i tried restore with seasonpass again and then it at least didn´t crash. It´s right now middle of restore process  so .. i hope its a success story.

Update:

It did not go well, when seasonpass asked me if i wanted itunes to auto update and i clicked yes. itunes opened but nothin happend. and tried to boot tethered but that did seem to work either. After that i couldn't restore my apple tv from itunes. It did work to update from apple tv so no im runnin latest again and waiting for untethered.

Update2:

Finally got it working by following woody b:s instructions (post #172) but not sure what did solve my issue with itunes. I don't think i didn't mention that im runnin jb from windows 7.

I ended up with iTunes saying Error 3194. So to fix that i did these things:

- Disabled my firewall (honestly i think that did it)

- Edited my hosts file (http://www.jeiboy.net/how-to-fix-error-3194-from-itunes-throughout-iphon...) but instead of following the recommendations in the article i disabled all hosts by putting a "#" before all enabled hosts and saved it

- Followed James fix on this thread with tinyumbrella and uncheck to fix hostfile (http://forum.firecore.com/topic/4328)

So now the atv is tethered jailbreaked .. lets continue with the firecore flash... wish me luck

Final result:

Successfully runnin a jailbreaked tethered ATV2 version 4.4 Smile

December 18, 2011 - 5:47am
jorgez.3155's picture

It was a bit of a hassle but i got it working! I used the tip on this forum to keep the powercord connected to my ATV2 to get in to DFU mode.

Be sure to close your iTunes before starting. this will mess up the script that is run.

I didn't do the untetherred option as suggested. this was sufficient.

I used a MacBook Pro with Lion.

Amazing what aTv Flash can do. It plays almost all my stuff without a stutter. Glad to get it working. Way better than XBMC.