596 posts / 0 new / Last post
  January 22, 2012 - 10:48pm
davel.3307's picture
Kudos: 0

This is for anyone receiving a 16xx error from itunes when trying to connect with a PC.   Which is probably a lot of you.

After receiving the error on more than a couple of machines using different hardware I finally got it working. With one completely unrelated -and unsupported- step. That I have never found mentioned on this site.

Download something called iReb.  http://www.iphoneheat.com/2011/02/download-ireb-rc3-for-ios-4-2-14-1-x4-...

It's a free, tiny program and what it does is, when you put the Apple TV into DFU mode, you simply press the "Apple TV 2" button in iReb and it creates a slightly altered DFU state that BYPASSES the stupid 16xx error.  (Personally, I still needed to have the MicroUSB AND the power cord plugged in for iTunes to restore it, but the iReb solved the problem.  )   There.  That is all.  Hopefully that works for you all.

Why it takes a couple of brilliant coders to figure it out when the entire company of Apple could likely solve connective issues much faster, I'll never know.  

January 29, 2012 - 10:21pm
matthewh.8643's picture

Well... after 3 hours of unsuccessfully trying to jailbreak my Apple TV (using all of the "tricks" included in this forum, including the "iReB" trick) I've decided that jailbreaking my Apple TV is no longer worth my time and have given up - I have better things to do with my time than to keep fighting a losing battle.

January 31, 2012 - 9:27am
pjungersen's picture

I have solved all my problems about installing - after I  changed the /etc/hosts file.

I changed the line 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com  to  # 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Then download, unzipping installation works.

Up to this point I had problems with unzipping and installation

Thanks to http://www.cutviews.com to guide me in this directions

/Per

January 31, 2012 - 2:49pm
johns.7355's picture

I have tried this several times. It did not work.

January 31, 2012 - 2:49pm
johns.7355's picture

I have tried this several times. It did not work.

February 1, 2012 - 5:12pm
priyanshupatel's picture

hi guys.

If you have trouble getting into DFU Mode. Follow this. Its been working on my ATV 2 since fire core release.

1) Let apple TV restore normally in iTunes to latest software available.

2) if you don't want step 1 to happen ( teathered versions ), than

simply let apple tv connect to your tv and turn it on.

3) At this point your season pass should be ( press HOME and PLAY/PAUSE  button stage.) and ATV 2 should be plugged in and turned on on your tv with home screen ( movies, youtube etc visible).

4) Now this is crucial.

Disconnect HDMI, than power cable. ( no need to put ATV 2 in sleep, just disconnect them while it was on).

5) plug it straight into your computer via micro usb with in 5 secs. A WHITE status light on ATV2 should blink intermediately.

wait for  3 -4 blinks and than Press HOME and PLAY?PAUSE button for & seconds and release buttons.

6) Firecore will now says your ATV2 in DFU mode detected and thats it.

Thanks guys.

email me on priyanshupatel@gmail.com if questions 

February 3, 2012 - 2:50pm
jessej.93201's picture

Can anyone explain why the process is referred to as an untethered jailbreak when every set of instructions that I can find or even any videos online that say "untethered" show tethering as a part of the process?  

February 3, 2012 - 5:16pm
priyanshupatel's picture

Every jailbreak is done via USB cable. So they are theathered.

Unteathered means after you jailbreak your device you don't need a computer or attach a device to a computer via USB to restart.

I hope I answered your question.

Regards

February 3, 2012 - 5:18pm
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 107

An untethered jailbreak is one where after you have completed the jailbreak you can subsequently boot the ATV2 without connecting it via USB to a PC/Mac.. The tethered jailbreak on the other hand has to be connected to a PC/Mac via USB every time you need to boot the ATV2 before the boot process can complete.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

February 4, 2012 - 7:38am
stephenk.0575's picture

Hello,

I have been trying to jailbreak my appleTV and have had no luck.

i have all the most recent versions of seas0npass and aTV.  When i try and run seas0npass executable i get a: CLR Error 80004005.

Any ideas?

February 6, 2012 - 11:01am
murrsky's picture

Hey guys,

I've tried just about everything with the atv, batteries in the remote are brand new, so I decided to check by looking in the digital camera, all the buttons function the way they are meant to, the combination of Menu + LEFT after 5 seconds will flash, but holding MENU + PLAY/PAUSE shows nothing after 5 seconds, 10 seconds or ever really... I assume this is the reason I can't get into DFU...

Does anyone know if the remote is faulty, or is something changed, I bought this atv 1 week ago, still can't JB it...

Thanks guys.

February 8, 2012 - 9:53am
murrsky's picture

So, this may help some people having issues with the JB... if you do the trick where you point your remote at the screen and hold down the menu/play pause and you see no flashing lights after 5 seconds, you may just have a faulty remote like I did...

Apple got me a new one, bingo, first try works great.

good luck.

February 12, 2012 - 6:21pm
mikew.3516's picture

The newest version of Seas0npass "quits unexpectedly" every time I open it. Any thoughts as to why this is?

February 12, 2012 - 6:58pm
ryanh.4594's picture

Does seas0nPass install updatebegone?

February 16, 2012 - 10:12am
caracasbaai's picture

I'm having the same problem with Seasonpass. it just won't start. I run Windows7-Ultimate 64BIT. The program will not start... tried all the different settings in ADMIN mode and still will not run.... Please help. I also already made a support ticket without a reply..

February 16, 2012 - 3:12pm
thomasb.9095's picture

My experience is to have the right cable, i tried for 4 hours with one cable, and when i tried another one it worked on the first attempt.

February 22, 2012 - 10:53am
takitezsdc's picture

sorry for the NOOB question but I am a little confused.....what is and why do I need " seas0npass" ?  I just installed aTv Flash on my Apple tv version 1. Why do I need seas0npass? or?

OR wait......is SeasOnpass just for jailbreaking into Apple tv 2?  Think I answered my own question! /smile

February 26, 2012 - 8:11am
schaefer.christoph's picture

i jailbreaked my Apple TV and Itunes says, that the apple TV firmware was restored, but I can´t use ist. It always blinks fast and connected to my display the ony picture is that one, which means " connect it to Itunes" ( sorry I am not so good in English) I tried it with an another pc, with another cord another USB- Port, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn´t, but always the same : blinking fast . The same result with restored original Apple Software. Itunes say okay, but fast blinking .

Any idea ?

March 1, 2012 - 11:31am
alexandrev.3404's picture

Good evening,So here I am therefore an apple tv version of fireware in 4.4.4 and theneverything goes well except the step of restoring it with itunes is not the appletv and I noticed that c 'is that the apple tv is recognized at home when the appletv is in dfu mode and what is so weird when I use seasonpass it sends the fileto apple tv leaves dfu mode with itunes so the stage is not work so I can notjailbreakWhat can I do to make it work?thank you

March 1, 2012 - 12:06pm
takitezsdc's picture

Guys your not going to get timely answers here. Post a support ticket to Firecore or call them. It's the only way your going to get help

March 10, 2012 - 2:51am
macf1an's picture

Guys, is there a way to make 0.8.2 work with local shsh ? I had multiple 4.3.0 blobs saved with TU in October but currently Cydia has NONE of them..only 4.4.4 and 5.1b. I have no idea why.

Can anyone check if their 4.3.0 blobs are still available ?

March 10, 2012 - 9:12am
servous's picture

Hi!

I've been trying to jailbreak my AppleTV for two days now, without success. AppleTV version 4.4.4 iOS 5.01.

When starting seas0npass nothing is downloaded and it just says "waiting for device", when connecting the ATV it replies "This AppleTV is not eligible for this version".

I've also tried with a local ISPW-file with the same result. Tried this on four different computers, with both iTunes 10.5 and 10.6 running Windows 7.

A friend of mine jailbreaked his AppleTV two-three days ago, so I decided that I try to do it at his place as it has worked for him (exactly the same software versions as mine ATV) with his micro-USB cable on his Vista machine. But the result was exactly the same as when I tried to do this at home... "not eligible"...

Please help me! May this be caused by Apple releasing a new version of AppleTV or is my device just a bad one? Wink

Thanks!

March 10, 2012 - 12:29pm (Reply to #233)
Niels K's picture
  servous wrote:

Hi! I've been trying to jailbreak my AppleTV for two days now, without success. AppleTV version 4.4.4 iOS 5.01. When starting seas0npass nothing is downloaded and it just says "waiting for device", when connecting the ATV it replies "This AppleTV is not eligible for this version". I've also tried with a local ISPW-file with the same result. Tried this on four different computers, with both iTunes 10.5 and 10.6 running Windows 7. A friend of mine jailbreaked his AppleTV two-three days ago, so I decided that I try to do it at his place as it has worked for him (exactly the same software versions as mine ATV) with his micro-USB cable on his Vista machine. But the result was exactly the same as when I tried to do this at home... "not eligible"... Please help me! May this be caused by Apple releasing a new version of AppleTV or is my device just a bad one? Wink Thanks!

-----

Hi servous

Have the same problem. It does not start to download, and says "waiting for device". and when connected via USB "this Apple TV is not eligible for this version". I use the old XP version. So your device is not a bad one. Let me know if you find a solution, i´ll keep working and let you know if I succed.

Niels

March 10, 2012 - 2:15pm (Reply to #234)
Niels K's picture
  servous wrote:

Hi! I've been trying to jailbreak my AppleTV for two days now, without success. AppleTV version 4.4.4 iOS 5.01. When starting seas0npass nothing is downloaded and it just says "waiting for device", when connecting the ATV it replies "This AppleTV is not eligible for this version". I've also tried with a local ISPW-file with the same result. Tried this on four different computers, with both iTunes 10.5 and 10.6 running Windows 7. A friend of mine jailbreaked his AppleTV two-three days ago, so I decided that I try to do it at his place as it has worked for him (exactly the same software versions as mine ATV) with his micro-USB cable on his Vista machine. But the result was exactly the same as when I tried to do this at home... "not eligible"... Please help me! May this be caused by Apple releasing a new version of AppleTV or is my device just a bad one? Wink Thanks!

Hi Again

I think the problem is the problem is the new version of the software 5,1 that came out on the march 7th. SeasOnPass does not suppport that yet, and Apple blocks acces to the older versons, when there is a new one. And SeasOnPass needs acces to the older version. there is 2 options: 1) wait for SeasOnPass to support the new version or use TV flash (black) or TinyUmbrella to acces the other versions (like 4.4.4.)

Niels

March 10, 2012 - 2:43pm
servous's picture

Not sure what version of what you mean. But I've tried with both iTunes 10.5 and 10.6 and I've tried to "patch" with a local AppleTV2,1_4.4.4_9A406a_Restore.ipsw in seas0npass, if that's what you mean.

I'm kind of new to Apple-stuff (yes, Microsoft and Android user). But I'm not that new to modify stuff. Is it possible to mod it, I do it; everything from phones to routers Smile

If you - or someone else - find a solution to this I would be very happy, since I bought this AppleTV with XBMC in mind Tongue

March 10, 2012 - 5:21pm (Reply to #236)
Niels K's picture
  servous wrote:

Not sure what version of what you mean. But I've tried with both iTunes 10.5 and 10.6 and I've tried to "patch" with a local AppleTV2,1_4.4.4_9A406a_Restore.ipsw in seas0npass, if that's what you mean. I'm kind of new to Apple-stuff (yes, Microsoft and Android user). But I'm not that new to modify stuff. Is it possible to mod it, I do it; everything from phones to routers Smile If you - or someone else - find a solution to this I would be very happy, since I bought this AppleTV with XBMC in mind Tongue

hmm..you tryed 4.4.4. restore.ipsw. I still don´t think there is anything we can do, but wait for SeasOnPass to update their version. Or buy Flash Tv (black)/TinyUmbrella. I'll wait.

I'm also new to this stuff.

Niels

March 10, 2012 - 9:13pm
dreeds's picture

Hello Everyone:

Having problems creating a IPSW. keep on getting this error messsage "This AppleTV is not eligible for this version"  can anyone help me with this, any help would be helpful. thank you

March 11, 2012 - 4:23pm
mobenbc's picture

i've succesfully restored a 5.0 ATV  to a signed 4.4.4 SP (from another ATV) but at the restore of the internal program i had a 1600 error and the ATV Just got into a DFU Loop (impossible to get out of DFU) there is any solution to force it to boot? (i can always restore to its original firmware but i feel so close and i want your replies)

March 11, 2012 - 7:55pm
ritov.7081's picture

I have tried to jailbreak a new apple tv 2 gen that came with 4.4.4 and not 4.3 with SeasOnPass and I'm not having any luck. I can get a custom IPSW but when it's time to use it with iTunes to restore it pops up with an error, so I've tried it with TinyUmbrella and then I get error 11, I took the Apple Tv out of DFU mode and tried it with the Micro-USB and the power cable on and then it came at me with a 2005 error. I have tried multiple ways and always fails. If anyone has had any luck jailbreaking one of the new Apple Tv's that come with 4.4.4 and not the 4.3 please post on here your solution. Many thanks in advance!!!!!

March 12, 2012 - 5:26am (Reply to #240)
ormanton's picture
  ritov.7081 wrote:

I have tried to jailbreak a new apple tv 2 gen that came with 4.4.4 and not 4.3 with SeasOnPass and I'm not having any luck. I can get a custom IPSW but when it's time to use it with iTunes to restore it pops up with an error, so I've tried it with TinyUmbrella and then I get error 11, I took the Apple Tv out of DFU mode and tried it with the Micro-USB and the power cable on and then it came at me with a 2005 error. I have tried multiple ways and always fails. If anyone has had any luck jailbreaking one of the new Apple Tv's that come with 4.4.4 and not the 4.3 please post on here your solution. Many thanks in advance!!!!!

War is over http://forum.firecore.com/topic/7279

2008-atv1
2011-atv2
2012-atv3 (getting dusty waiting for a miracle)