596 posts / 0 new / Last post
  May 6, 2011 - 6:45am
ktjensen's picture
Kudos: 0

I notice there is NO discussion about what version of Apple TV software is running on your ATV2.  Since there has always been confusion about this, I suggest the following first step before you use Seasonpass or any other jailbreak tool:
1)  Attach the Apple TV 2 to your MAC or PC, with a USB cable, and no power cable.  Start up ITUNES.  Do a complete RESTORE of your APPLE TV 2 the latest version of software, as prompted by ITUNES.  If you can do this, then your USB cable works (no power cable required), and your computer (PC or MAC) will work to attempt to jailbreak with seasonpass, or some other software.  (if your jailbreak tool can not handle the latest version of Apple TV 2 software as supplied by Apple, then do not even try to continue, you will only have heartbreak, if you can not restore).
Note 1:  please realize that most of the versions of other jailbreak software on the internet, are not set up to work with the latest version of apple TV software, on your fresh apple TV 2, as they were developed with the previous version of apple tv 2 software.  Some require a virtual server tool like TINYUMBRELLA to function correctly after being installed on your computer.  Some require your HOSTS file to be modified on your computer.  Changing the HOSTS file or using TINYUMBRELLA might prevent a restore from working with ITUNES.
Note 2:  Also realize what TETHERED boot really means for you, when using your apple TV 2.  Hoping that SEASONPASS has released an un-teathered boot for both computer systems (MAC and PC), but get the feeling that is not true yet, as of the date of this message posting.  My personal opinion is that a TEATHERED boot is very useless for 90% of the users out there.  Most do not want to have a PC or MAC right next to your plasma or LCD tv, thus the point of having an Apple TV 2.   

May 6, 2011 - 8:02am (Reply to #72)
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 101
  ktjensen wrote:

Hoping that SEASONPASS has released an un-teathered boot for both computer systems (MAC and PC), but get the feeling that is not true yet, as of the date of this message posting. 

What makes you think this?   SeasonPass untethered jailbreak for the latest iOS has been available for some weeks now on both Mac and Windows.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

May 6, 2011 - 8:46am (Reply to #73)
ktjensen's picture
  itimpi wrote:

What makes you think this?   SeasonPass untethered jailbreak for the latest iOS has been available for some weeks now on both Mac and Windows.

Good on UNTEATHERED  then I will add to my instruction above.  Will try this out tonight:
1)  As above.  Connect your apple TV 2 to your PC or MAC.  Do a restore in ITUNES.  If successful, then your USB cable is good, and your computer is good.  You can go onto the next step.
2)  Run SEASONPASS first time.  Check if SEASONPASS is functional, and your Apple TV 2 shows that it was successful via your plasma HDTV.  If Seasonpass works fine, then immediately do a RESTORE with ITUNES back to a standard Apple TV 2 setup.  See if everything is working correctly with your Apple TV 2.
3)  Run SEASONPASS a second time.  Install ATVFLASH for the Apple TV 2 per instructions.  Attach your Apple TV 2 to your plasma HDTV.  Everything should be set.
4)  **OPTIONAL**.  Do a factory RESTORE via ITUNES to your apple tv 2 a second time.  To prove that it will work.  Prove to yourself.  And label the USB cable you used.  Then re-install SEASONPASS a third time, and ATVFLASH a second time for apple tv 2.  Report it here that you are successful.  Help your friends get this running too.  Share the tech love.  Try this all again when the factory Apple company changes the software revision on the Apple TV 2.  

May 8, 2011 - 6:46am (Reply to #74)
ktjensen's picture

I had complete success yesterday with installing SEASONPASS and getting it to jailbreak my APPLE TV 2.  Everything runs terrific. Am now way beyound that as I installed a new NIGHTLY BUILD of XBMC with various ADDONS (aka Plug-ins) and installed a PLEX application on my ATV 2.  nice nice nice  

May 13, 2011 - 2:42am
gpdl67's picture

Sorry, but the windows version of seas0npass is for 8F202 firmware version and not for 8F305. The newest version of seas0npass is only for MAC!

May 15, 2011 - 12:12am
MrAnderson69uk's picture

This may have been mentioned already, but I was initially having no luck getting my ATV2 in to DFU mode - it was simlpy that the Mini USB to Micro USB adapter I got off Amazon was mearly a charging adapter (although I'm sure that's not what it was sold as when I got it a few months ago!)

It looks like this

[[wysiwyg_imageupload:62:]]

With a knife I split the two halves of the plastic casing to reveal just 2 wires connecting pins 1 and 5 for +5v and GND. Also pins 2 and 4 on the Micro USB end were connected together (the ID and Rx pins). So I undid 2 + 4 and found some fine wire to solder pins 2, 3 and 4 to make it a straight-thru adapter.

Problem solved.

Cheers
Mr A

May 20, 2011 - 12:40pm
georges.4040's picture

I have done all the troubleshooting steps and tips. I get to step 4 but ATV never enters DFU Mode. I get the ATV lights to flash rapidly by holding the Menu and Play buttons on the ATV remote, then nothing. Instructions say iTunes will open automatically, well it didn't for me. I am using an XP PC to run SeasOnPass only because the Mac version requires an intel chip, all my Macs are older and without that chip. I have iTunes installed on the PC and I did buy the special USB cable to link the ATV with the PC, but it's not working. I did open a case with FireCore but haven't had a reply. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

May 21, 2011 - 5:16pm
hiramp.3837's picture

After spending an entire day trying to get Seasonpass to jailbreak by ATV, I FINALLY hit upon a combination that worked for me.  I followed ALL of the suggestions to the letter and was still getting a variety of error ranging from Error 21 to 1604 to 31-something.  I even tried keeping Umbrella on during the Restore.  Nothing worked.  It seemed that I just couldn't get iTunes to restore the modified ipsw.

Here's what finally worked for me:  I followed the instructions in the Firecore jailbreak guide - run Seasonpass followed by select Create IPSW.  However, when it finished creating the ispw and BEFORE I connected the USB cable to the ATV, I opened iTunes.  I then continued following the Seasonpass instructions - connect the USB, press Menu/Pause for 7 seconds, and so on.  Once Seasonpass finished uploading drivers to the ATV, it poped up a final box saying that iTunes should open automatically.  It never did in the multiple times I tried it.  BUT, since I ALREADY had iTunes open, all I had to do was switch over to the iTunes window, hit Shift Restore, select the modified ispw file, and the restore went through.  The KEY seemed to be having iTunes ALREADY OPEN so you can immediately begin the restore process without having to disconnect the USB or hit Menu/Pause again to get the ATV to show up on iTunes.

I sincerely hope this helps some other frustrated soul.

I've  now got Firecore fully installed and am logging off to go play with the new features.......

May 29, 2011 - 7:28pm
richardy.58181's picture

This is bad, at this point in the game there should not be so many errors.
This should only be sold to advanced users with experience SSHing into a device.

I have been trying this for months with the different versions, it worked for me once (after scouring the forums) Bach when I used green poison. The season pass is now much improved but ATVflash rarely finds the device for people on the first try.

I gave fire core the benefit of the doubt but time is up, this is a terrible experiance for the average user.
It's time for refunds

June 1, 2011 - 2:16pm
laurar.0158's picture

Richard,

I have to agree. 

I purchased aTV Flash (black) in December, only to find out it couldn't even run on my aTV at the time because they hadn't yet jailbroken the software yet. Then, I waited four months for an untethered jailbreak.

I finally attempt to jailbreak my aTV again (so it would be untethered) and Seas0nPass bricks the damn thing. I had to take it back to Apple and get an entirely new aTV, since it wouldn't even restore from Apple's servers. Of course, Firecore just spews the same tired advice.

Now I have my new aTV and am out $20 because of a program I can't even use. (Not that it was that great when I was using it.)