5 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  January 21, 2011 - 10:39am
MetalPhreak's picture
Kudos: 0

I had endless problems trying to jailbreak the Apple TV I bought today. Ended up getting the "Connect to iTunes" screen when plugging in the HDMI cable. Here's what I did to get it to work:

Whenever Seas0nPass asks you to put the Apple TV into DFU mode, IGNORE the instructions. Instead:

1. Connect microUSB to Mac, plug in the power cable.

2. Hold the Down button and Menu for 6 seconds until the LED flashes quickly and let go. (At this point the ATV will reboot, but you won't know because its not plugged into HDMI) 

3. UNPLUG THE POWER CABLE but leave the USB connected.

4. Hold the Menu and Play/Pause buttons for ~7 seconds. If you did it correctly, Seas0nPass will detect the ATV in DFU mode. Quickly, as it is uploading the first file, RECONNECT THE POWER CABLE. This must be done before the ATV does a soft reset (you can tell by the LED activity).

5. Let Seas0nPass do the rest of its thing. iTunes will open and restore the custom ipsw. It takes ~3-4mins. 

6. If after 5mins, iTunes still hasn't finished, or has come up with an error, point your remote at the ATV and press some buttons. If the LED reacts to button presses, then it has worked fine. Unplug the USB and Power.

7. Connect the HDMI cable, and then plug in the power cable. The Apple logo should show on the screen as it boots, and then the display will go BLANK. Again, pressing buttons on the remote should make the LED blink. If you get the BLANK screen, SUCCESS Grin It's worked (but you haven't tetherbooted).

Tetherbooting:

1. Connect microUSB to Mac, plug in the power cable.

2. Hold the Down button and Menu for 6 seconds until the LED flashes quickly and let go. (At this point the ATV will reboot, but you won't know because its not plugged into HDMI) 

3. UNPLUG THE POWER CABLE but leave the USB connected.

4. Hold the Menu and Play/Pause buttons for ~7 seconds. If you did it correctly, Seas0nPass will detect the ATV in DFU mode. Quickly, as it is uploading the first file, RECONNECT THE POWER CABLE. This must be done before the ATV does a soft reset (you can tell by the LED activity).

5. As soon as Seas0nPass says its done, disconnect the microUSB, and plug in the HDMI cable. 

6. Your Apple TV should now boot up fine Smile Enjoy. SSH in and install xbmc or whatever you want.

Notes:

You need a properly booting ATV on original firmware for this process to work. If you plug it in to your TV and get the "Connect to iTunes" image come up, YOU MUST RESTORE TO ORIGINAL FIRMWARE USING iTUNES (using the above method to get into DFU mode). 

~7 Seconds? Yes *about* 7 seconds. It is REALLY picky about the timing. If it doesn't work first time, just press the buttons again and wait another 7 seconds. You don't need to start over. 

Thoughts:

Not sure whether its new revision hardware, my macbook pro, or the cable i'm using, but only this method works for me. What I suspect happens, is iTunes sends a reboot command to the ATV during restoration, and if the power isn't plugged in, the ATV just reboots into normal mode (when it needs to be in DFU still). The other DFU modes don't seem to work correctly even though they all appear to  be the same to iTunes. I suspect Apple has changed something in the latest version of iTunes. 

Update: This method has worked flawlessly for me twice now on my 13" Macbook Pro. It's important that you start from a fresh clean original firmware (restore normally in iTunes after every failed Seas0nPass restore)

January 23, 2011 - 10:14am
pmcd's picture

Nice instructions. I could never get the ATV into DFU with the power cable in so I unplugged it and then plugged it back in. The seasonpass folks should really consider providing an alternative set of instructions given the number og people having trouble with this.

philip

January 23, 2011 - 4:33pm
LegionSB's picture

No matter how closely I follow these instructions, I always get the "Connect to iTunes" logo screen after flashing.

Restore to original firmware each try. Boot up into original firmware to confirm it was correctly restored after each try.

Question about step 3: "UNPLUG THE POWER CABLE but leave the USB connected."

Am I needing to do this very quickly after releasing the buttons in step 2?

Question about step 4: "This must be done before the ATV does a soft reset (you can tell by the LED activity)."

How can you tell? What exactly is the "LED activity" that indicates a soft reset?

January 23, 2011 - 8:06pm (Reply to #3)
LegionSB's picture

Apparently the answer for me was, "jailbreak with PwnageTool, then do Seas0nPass after that".

I was just trying to do PwnageTool, but for some reason SSH was missing after I had done it.

But then doing Seas0nPass after that (without restoring in-between), and I finally got a working jailbreak with SSH.

January 24, 2011 - 10:31am (Reply to #4)
scottjl's picture

is there a pwnagetool that works with 4.2.1? i can't seem to find one.