237 posts / 0 new / Last post
  December 8, 2011 - 5:45am
julianb.9333's picture
Kudos: 0

I don't think its just a new Micro USB - I found that you need a really short Micro USB and I think it could just be the physical make up and length of the cable with the particular USB port that either makes this work or not. I actually had a 6'' Mini USB cable, bought a Mini to Micro convertor block and it worked first time. I think power is lost along the longer cables when you don't have the Power in the back of the ATV. I have some USB SATA drives that won't run from my MacBook Air on anything but the short cables.

December 19, 2011 - 8:04pm
jasonhallceltic's picture

Hi guys, hoping for some help with as i'm completely at my wits end with this! Saw firecore working on a mates atv2 and was really impressed, decided i would purchase it this evening but having read this section of the forum thought i would jailbreak with seas0npass first to make sure everything was ok, its 9 hours later and i still have no jailbroken ATV2!!! It's an ATV2 with 4.4.4 and itunes 10.5.2. I've been trying on a pc with 32 bit win 7 and have been getting errors from 20-21 but mainly 1602 and 1604.

I've tried all the solutions in this thread including changing the cable, tinyumbrella and getting my .ipsw from alternative sources to no avail.Where am i going wrong?!

As i said completely done in with this and would be very appreciative of any help at all. Cheers.

December 20, 2011 - 2:26am
stevec.5269's picture

The one thing that worked for me was to leave the Apple TV plugged in during the "restore". It hung at almost the end, but when I hooked it up, it was indeed jailbroken.

December 20, 2011 - 2:37am

Hi mate cheers for the responce! So when you say leave it plugged in during the restore you mean leave the power cable plugged in just during the restore?

December 20, 2011 - 5:31am (Reply to #95)
stevec.5269's picture
  jasonhallceltic wrote:

Hi mate cheers for the responce! So when you say leave it plugged in during the restore you mean leave the power cable plugged in just during the restore?

Yes. Leaving the power plugged in during the restore was the only way I could get it to work. I tried it the "correct" way (power cord unplugged) about 400x before I tried it with the power cord plugged in.

Hope this works for you!

Smile

December 20, 2011 - 5:44am
julianb.9333's picture

I had the reverse experience to stevec.5269

Tried it both with USB and POWER in and just the USB without joy.
The solution that worked for me was to use a standard short MINI USB cable and I bought a Mini - Micro converter.

Worked first time after that, no power in the ATV - just that short USB.
Granted I never went back to try it again with the power in the back of the ATV - once it worked - why would I LOL

If you are in the UK, MAPLIN have the convertor block I used - it was about 8 quid NIKKAI (I think). (A long USB cable was the same price, but as I explained above - I think the length of the USB matters as I have several SATA drives that will not run from longer cables - which is probably due to the USB port on my MacBook Air not having the best power output).

Its well worth getting this sorted if only for the PLEX client, I too nearly turned my ATV into a Frizbee - it drives you mad.

December 20, 2011 - 10:25am (Reply to #97)
  stevec.5269 wrote:

Yes. Leaving the power plugged in during the restore was the only way I could get it to work. I tried it the "correct" way (power cord unplugged) about 400x before I tried it with the power cord plugged in.

Hope this works for you!

Smile

Cheers mate i'll have a bash at this now

Cheers for the info about the converter aswell mate but i'm using a short cabled micro usb already so not sure if this would help

December 20, 2011 - 12:08pm

I have now tried leaving the power cable in aswell to no joy whatsoever. This process is completely and utterly infuriating and niw means that i can't purchase firecore. Are their any moderators online to see if theres any fix for this?

December 20, 2011 - 2:05pm
julianb.9333's picture

Just to clarify what I had work was a short MINI USB with a MICRO convertor.
I feel your pain as I was in the same boat, if it hadn't worked it was frizbee time.

Thank god it worked for me. Are you in the UK? 

December 21, 2011 - 8:34pm

Cheers for the reply julian. i finally got this to work yesterday purely from having 1 last go on a diffrent laptop that i'd already attempted the night before, noooo idea why it worked this time! cheers for the help sanyway huys!

December 22, 2011 - 2:29am (Reply to #101)
stevec.5269's picture
  jasonhallceltic wrote:

Cheers for the reply julian. i finally got this to work yesterday purely from having 1 last go on a diffrent laptop that i'd already attempted the night before, noooo idea why it worked this time! cheers for the help sanyway huys!

It is weird how it just seems to work randomly. I am just glad it works, period. If I had to figure what the FireCore team has, I would be an insane man.

December 23, 2011 - 4:01am (Reply to #102)
jesperb.9660's picture
  julianb.9333 wrote:

Just to clarify what I had work was a short MINI USB with a MICRO convertor.
I feel your pain as I was in the same boat, if it hadn't worked it was frizbee time.

Thank god it worked for me. Are you in the UK? 

I think Julian's got a point here. My old Celeron Thinkpad with W7, sometimes pop's up with the USB message "This port could perform faster..", but is IS a USB2 port and never shows any problems with other USB equipment (disks, mouse etc). So my guess would be, that flashing ATV2 draws just about too much current out of the USB port.
Makin sense in the way, that a shorter USB cable also minimzes power loss (and power loss is greater in low-quality grade cables).

December 25, 2011 - 10:59pm
jpavento's picture

Finally got it to work after many failed attempts (was getting error 14). Seem to have fixed the problem by connecting the USB cable to the computer rather that a hub...

December 26, 2011 - 7:48pm
chrisc.321078's picture

Cannot restore to jailbroken 4.3.  This is exceedingly frustrating as i have tried several USB cables, one PC, one MAC.  I always get the 1601 error on the PC, and the mac was giving me 1600.  A restore to factory 4.4.4??  worked.  But the jailbreak via Seaonspass does not.  I have previously JB my ATV2 twice before.  I think the last time was with seasonpass, but no luck this time.  I've wasted the whole day and am about to just throw it in the garbage.  What good is ATV flash if you can't jailbreak?  if anyone has a suggestion or two I'd be most appreciativ.  BTW, II also installed tiny umbrella and fixed the hosts problem.  

December 26, 2011 - 8:48pm
FKALANA's picture

I am about to give up on this ATV2! I have jailbroken 3 of them with the same PC and cable on separate occasions and now have one that I am wrestling with that refuses to be jailbroken, I go from error 21, 2009, 1600, to 21 and it just keeps the same pattern. SO - I removed all spybot, firewall and disabled the native one, etc, and still no luck, I have no clue where to turn to next. My thinking is to allow Apple to update it to the latest and then roll it back to 4.3 - I canNOT have a tethered boot ATV2, as there will be no device to tether it to where I am going with this. Anyone have any suggestions? I know what I am doing, but at a complete loss with this box.

December 27, 2011 - 10:31am
FKALANA's picture

OK - today I tried again on my mac and received the "device not eligible" error - first time on this jb for this device to see it. Switching to a clean user profile to see if I can isolate it further.

December 27, 2011 - 12:48pm
chrisc.321078's picture

OK, one more try on yet another PC.  This one was giving me the 1600 error during restore.  Ran iREB, then did the restore and it worked.  Seems like whatever iREB is doing should be integrated into Seas0nPass!  Oh, and by the way, don't try and jailbreak from a VM.  It will never work.

Cheers.

December 27, 2011 - 2:49pm
FKALANA's picture

Thanks Chrisc! I tried the iREB and got a 1600 error, but plugged in and it booted up with the FC LOGO so I should be good to go. After 2 weeks of wrestling with this on and off, finally can sit down and USE it! Cheers!

December 27, 2011 - 2:49pm
FKALANA's picture

Thanks Chrisc! I tried the iREB and got a 1600 error, but plugged in and it booted up with the FC LOGO so I should be good to go. After 2 weeks of wrestling with this on and off, finally can sit down and USE it! Cheers!

December 30, 2011 - 10:32pm
matrixxxxxx1's picture

Hey guys

I was having same issue with Itunes not restoring my custom IPSW that seasonpass was creating. I was not getting any error just iTunes was not doing anything when seasonpass was finished. It would just open and sit there.

Anyways the solution was to choose no when asked by open season to automatically restore. When you choose no, your custom IPSW is saved into my documents, seasonpass folder.

Just open iTunes, hold Shift and press restore, choose the custom IPSW from my documents, seasonpass folder, and thats it. iTunes will write it to your appletv2 and you're jailbroken.

Hope that helps some of you. Been messing around with this for few hours now. I kept choosing yes to automatic restore and got no where.

Cheers

January 2, 2012 - 12:42am
stevequads's picture

I tried to jailbreak my apple tv2 4.4.4 using seas0npass, but when it come to restoring it on itunes it keeps coming up an error 14, can you help thanks

January 2, 2012 - 12:57am (Reply to #112)
stevec.5269's picture
  stevequads wrote:

I tried to jailbreak my apple tv2 4.4.4 using seas0npass, but when it come to restoring it on itunes it keeps coming up an error 14, can you help thanks

Start with this and let us know if it works.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694#error14

January 2, 2012 - 10:35am
jacobm.3619's picture

I was getting a 1600 error too on my mac running OSX 10.6.8

I ran Tiny Umbrella and unchecked "cycadia" then I was still getting the error.

Opened my host file and added a (# with a space) in front of the Apple IP and reran season pass and it worked!  Restore is running through Itunes 5.0.2 Smile

January 2, 2012 - 3:48pm
gunsmoke's picture

I've been getting the 1601 error most, but also have seen 1602 and 1604.  When I go back into my ATV2 screen, I see the FireCore logo in the lower left.  Does that mean it worked anyway?  Or do I need to keep trying until there's no error? 

January 3, 2012 - 12:18am (Reply to #115)
stevec.5269's picture
  gunsmoke wrote:

I've been getting the 1601 error most, but also have seen 1602 and 1604.  When I go back into my ATV2 screen, I see the FireCore logo in the lower left.  Does that mean it worked anyway?  Or do I need to keep trying until there's no error? 

If you are seeing the logo, that means it worked and no more effort is required on your part. Congrats!

Smile

January 5, 2012 - 6:48pm
milestoburn's picture

resolved...just did the install on a 100 dollar net book running win xp sp3...vista sucks big time..so does 7 for this stuff...

January 16, 2012 - 10:44am
keelypops's picture

keep getting error 3194 , changed the host file , and the tiny umbrella, still not working ? any ideas please

January 17, 2012 - 12:39pm
cherijs's picture

so i was getting error (14) all the time when i try to restore to 4.4.4 with seas0npass:  werifying restore ... restoring..  error (14)

then i tried thous steps:

• seas0npass -> create IPSW
  • connect atv to micro usb and press menu + play for 7sec
  • conect power cable
  • restoring process !!! wuuuhuu
  • error (1602)

pluged atv to my TV and was jailbroken!! NICE

January 18, 2012 - 9:37pm (Reply to #119)
bgrupczy's picture
  keelypops wrote:

keep getting error 3194 , changed the host file , and the tiny umbrella, still not working ? any ideas please

Are you trying to downgrade to 4.3? I am having that issue when trying to downgrade.

January 20, 2012 - 1:25pm
bndrjj's picture

hi all anyone like killeing ALL errors messages in easy and one step >>>> just do that

i did that with windows 7 64&32

ATV2G 4.4.4

Seas0nPass

1- Completely Remove iTunes and Other Apple Software from a Windows Computer

you can see

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/23959/completely-remove-itunes-and-other-apple-software-from-a-windows-computer/

2- setup itunes (((10.5))) not Latest Version 10.5.3

you can download http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php good luck