237 posts / 0 new / Last post
  August 25, 2012 - 10:23pm
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 110

I suspect that the reason is you have an ATV3 (see my sig for how to tell) for which there is currently no jailbreak available.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

August 26, 2012 - 6:20pm (Reply to #182)
dianam.6171's picture
Kudos: 0
  alexanderg.1353 wrote:

This is my third try to get help – now over the forum. In the first two i used the support form and just get a standard answer "please look at forum thread blablabla".

That's what i did before and after, but i still have the same problem: THE JAILBREAK DO NOT WORK!

Meanwhile i am a DFU-Expert, but always when i try to restore the modified Firmware, i get ERROR 14 after a few seconds of the restoring prozess of iTunes.

I have tried it with my MacBook Pro and an Toshiba Notebook with Windows XP.

Restoring the standard firmware software using the same cable/iTunes works perfect!

UPDATE:

After buying a news USB 2.0 Cable and updating the seasonpass software to the latest version and reinstalling iTunes i STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND NO ONE HELPS ME SINCE ONE MONTH NOW. Im really pissed off about this piece of s*** and the poor support!!!

WELL I HAVE BEEN TRYING SINCE JANUARY AND HAVE PUT IN 3 DIFFERENT ATTEMPTS TO SUPPORT AND I LOOK BACK AND THERE IS SOME LAME QUESTION LIKE DO YO HAVE CONNECTION PROBLEMS?  SERIOUSLY?  NO!! IN MY CASE IT DOWNLOADS AND THE PROBLEM IS IN THE ITUNES RESTORE PHASE AND THERE AREN'T ENOUGH DIRECTIONS ON DIFFERENT STEPS YOU MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE IF IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN TEXTBOOK FASHION.  I PAID ALMOST $30 FOR NOTHING AND NO SUPPORT OTHER THAN A 1 SENTENCE REPLY AND MARKING MY SERVICE REQUEST AS #@!$!!  SOLVED I

Diana from Marietta

September 6, 2012 - 10:42pm
astonjay32's picture

Created this account just to post my long but ultimately successful tale of how I finally conquered the 1601 Error.  Keep in mind, I don't know exactly how or why this combination of of things worked, so draw your own conclusions.

Quick Background

• ATV2, which I had successfully flashed about a year ago and had been successfully running XBMC on.  Jailbraked with a Windows 7 PC I believe, without any issues.
  • About a week ago, ran the Apple TV update, curious about the new UI they released.  I did this with a new Macbook Pro.
  • After install and reboot, got stuck on the black screen / Apple Logo part of the boot sequence.  Let it sit for about an hour.  Stuck.  Rebooted a few times, same result.
  • Hooked it up to my MBP and applied a stock factory restore, and she came right back up without a hitch in her step.  Only problem was that I was no longer jailbroken.
  • Found my way to this site, started following the steps described, still using the MBP.
  • I could successfully create the ISPW file and get into DFU, but iTunes always failed with a 1601 Error.  

What I Tried

• Different cable (ordered the one in OP)
  • Re-install of SeasonPass.
  • Re-install of iTunes.
  • Re-attempting the restore (tried about 2 or 3 times for each "fix", so do the math)
  • After failing, attempting the process by restarting iTunes.   Then again by starting only SeasonPass
  • Factory installs every so often, just to make sure that still worked so I could fall back if need be.
  • Quick note on my DFU situation - I could ONLY get it into DFU mode by using both power adapter and USB, even when using the newly ordered cable.

What Ultimately Worked

• Day after ordering the cable, following one frustrating evening wrestling this crap, I decided to read this entire thread.  I had originally just read the original posts, as well as anything specifically tied to the 1601 error, but I clearly needed more than the Cliff Notes for this one.
  • Part came in, tried that, and while it didn't work initially, my successful run was using this cable, fwiw.
  • Back at my laptop, armed with 186 posts of information and people freaking the eff out (this is a media player, people, not a pace maker), I started off with by deleting my iTunes preferences (deleted those 3 preferences files on file system).
  • Ran SeasonPass, Created new file.
  • Entered DFU mode with both power and USB cable attatched.
  • When restore began in iTunes, removed power cable.  Unit still blinking, restore still running.
  • Restore FAILS with 1602.  Hmm..  Different error....
  • Kept SeasonPass running, restarted iTunes.  Unit is still blinking slowly and repeatedly, and now with no power adapter attached.
  • Ran the Create IPSW process again, successfully created file.
  • This time, I was able to get into DFU with Menu + Play, without the help of the power adapter.  I think this is a big part of it, and I remember a few posts mentioning something about it, but who knows for sure.
  • iTunes ran the restore process ..... and failed again.
  • Closed iTunes
  • Restarted SeasonPass, unit is still blinking.
  • Created iPSW, entered DFU mode, again with no help from power adapter and finally, mercifully, and by the grace of God almighty ...
  •  iTunes successfully completed the restore.

What I Learned

• This is one NASTY bug.
  • My guess is that this is a combination of LOTS of possible things, and not just one or two things.  186 posts, dozens of stories like mine, and while some are similar, most are quite unique, making this a real PITA to figure out.  When I say lots of things, I mean things like the Apple signing their packages issue, USB quality and/or ability to be efficient with power, hardware of ATV, hardware of the updating machine, version of update, file permissions, other Apple software, and perhaps the wind.
  • The guy who posted "Why don't they just charge $10 so we can send it in to fix this?" would benefit greatly from reading this thread beginning to end.  Because if he did, he'd know how ridiculous that statement was.  There is a randomness to this between all of us here that creates a black hole of time that can't be explained by anything but bad luck and random circumstances.  
  • This can be fixed!!  You just need the willpower and a little patience!  And a nice $8-12 dream catcher.
  • I, nor most of the people who made it passed this wouldn't have done so without all the help from this thread, so to all the folks here posting, THANK YOU!!  :)  

Good luck,

AJ

September 17, 2012 - 4:56pm (Reply to #184)
danbrooks's picture

Hi all, this (below) finally worked for me as well (thank you very much!). Now that I remember, I have always had to do this to get my ATV to enter DFU mode. This is probably all related to USB power, which will vary from computer to computer, cable to cable, etc. So that is why some people report success with another computer or cable.

In my case, I tried two different cables, with no success. I was also always directly connected to my computer (no USB hub). Finally, I removed all USB devices, even from the computer, since they may all be sharing the same power supply in the end. Using a shorter cable, directly connecting to the computer, removing other devices, etc, etc, all of this may give a bit more juice to the ATV. Also, it probably needs more power during the point where it enters DFU mode, thus connecting the power cord temporarily gives it that, if your combination of computer, USB connection, and cable aren't enough.

Good luck,

Dan

cejones wrote:

Well,

I finally got my AppleTV to jailbreak.  

Things to note:

Getting it into DFU mode never worked simply by connecting the micro-USB cable and then holding down the menu and play buttons on the remote.  Sure, the LED light would start to blink really fast after 7 seconds, but my Mac and/or SeasonPass software did not recognize it going into DFU mode.

What did work was first connecting the power cable... then the USB cable, and then holding down the two buttons for 7 seconds.   Of course, if you leave the power connected when iTunes starts to restore it, you will get an Error 21 and it fails...

So, after SeasonPass recognized it in DFU mode, I disconnected the power cable and then iTunes restore worked fine. 

I then bought ATv Black and installed it.  So far so good!

September 25, 2012 - 8:06pm
kiruluda's picture

I get the following error right at the end of the restore on iTunes "the iphone update server cannot be contacted". I did not encounter that error anywhere on this site.

Thanks

September 26, 2012 - 12:40am
ArmyMedic007's picture
  • DFU mode should never be a problem. That's the easiest part! If you leave your ATV2 plugged in until you are promoted to connect, it will work fine. Those people who can't connect have probably had it disconnected for a while before trying. Remember it sometimes takes a few seconds (30 or more) once you have pressed the two buttons for the drive to be recognized - be patient.
  • Don't be tight. Buy a decent microSD cable. Cheap ones don't always work well.
  • Re-installing iTunes cured ALL my iTunes error messages and I got quite a collection before doing that. I can jailbreak anyone's ATV2 now 1st time. You may need to clear out some crap form your libraries though. I removed apps as they were always downloading from the servers. I got rid of them and all was sweet.
  • Other top tip: Change the password as soon as you're in and before installing NitoTV. The virus is way too easy to get otherwise.

I don't even think about errors now because I never get any. It isn't a bug that causes these difficulties guys.

If it fits, wear it!

October 8, 2012 - 8:43pm
Buadhai's picture

My ATV2 went into DFU mode after I did a software update with NitoTV.

I still have the same ipsw file (AppleTV2,1_4.3_8F305_SP_Restore.ipsw) that I used when I first jailbroke the machine. I have the same known-good USB cable that I used when I first jailbroke the machine. I am using the same MacMini that I used when I first jailbroke the machine.

I have a saved SHSH and am running Tiny Umbrella's TSS server. It is working:

bleach:~ mnewman$ ping gs.apple.com

PING gs.apple.com (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes

I have tied at least two dozen times over the past two days to restore this machine. I have tried a different known-good USB cable. I have tried several USB ports. I have tried using a powered USB hub. The only USB devices connected to the machine are a mouse and a keyboard.

Nothing works. I always, always get a 1604 error.

Any ideas?

October 9, 2012 - 6:01am
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 110

After it fails with the 1604 error, have you tried plugging the ATV into your TV to see if the jailbreak actually worked!    I have found that you can get this type of error right at the end after a successful jailbreak when iTunes is trying to do its final check.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

October 15, 2012 - 2:27pm
xype's picture

I had just given up on jailbreaking mine months ago because of so many frustrating repeated errors. Then I saw the post about simply trying to see if it has installed even after getting an error. The following day I happened to be in a dollar store and thought I'd spend the $4 for a different micro USB cable "just in case," since I was going to go to the trouble of trying a jailbreak again.

I gave it one more try with the new cable and it worked. Didn't even get an error in iTunes. So I'm not sure what made it work this time, but maybe trying another cable, even a cheap-o dollar store one, might solve it.

October 17, 2012 - 1:40am
delrioea's picture

hey james,

still having the issues with this code 21 for reason it will go in to dfu mode open up iTunes and iTunes will say restore and update then it fails. what can I do ? I updated everything on my mac book pro

delrioea

November 10, 2012 - 9:24pm (Reply to #191)
AppleTVGURU's picture
  delrioea wrote:

hey james,

still having the issues with this code 21 for reason it will go in to dfu mode open up iTunes and iTunes will say restore and update then it fails. what can I do ? I updated everything on my mac book pro

xype wrote:

I had just given up on jailbreaking mine months ago because of so many frustrating repeated errors. Then I saw the post about simply trying to see if it has installed even after getting an error. The following day I happened to be in a dollar store and thought I'd spend the $4 for a different micro USB cable "just in case," since I was going to go to the trouble of trying a jailbreak again.

I gave it one more try with the new cable and it worked. Didn't even get an error in iTunes. So I'm not sure what made it work this time, but maybe trying another cable, even a cheap-o dollar store one, might solve it.

Just try different usb port.  Honestly I have issue on my desktop sometime I switch over my laptop then it work fine couple of days later my desktop work again. Dont know what wrong I had search my place and read more than 500 thread over all forums. not 100% sure but issue with USB driver port. just keep trying.  Last 7 months I have been watch closely issue and I was able to avoid that alot now.  here step what I do before I do the restore through Itune or jailbreak..

• Close item on your PC or Mac before plug the apple tv in the usb port.
  • wait for 30 second then plug them in.  Wait then wait for itune to popup don't push item to open it will open by itself. If it's not then wait at least 1 mins for computer to detecting driver for apple tv. 
  • Now you can hit shifl then click on restore button then selecting firmware you want to restore it to.  
  • once it completed unplug it from the usb cable wait for at least 30 second. and close all itune and and season pass if you has it open.
  • now plug it back in wait 30 second itune will then open it again by it self after computer detecting apple via usb. 
  • then close  itune. open seasonpass hit creat ipsw wait until it done.  then follow the season pass direction.
  • Keep in mind that once season pass kicked it in after you dfu mode DO NOT touch anything until itune open and restore is in progress . once it done wola jailbroken again... 
  December 16, 2012 - 3:04pm
travis.upton's picture

So I have no issue getting into DFU mode.

I always get the message that iTunes fails. However I did restore my AT2 to 5.0.2 using the .ipsw file that Seas0nPass. However it is not jailbroke. Is there another process that takes place? Any suggestions?

For as many people that have what appears the same issue we should get much better support. 

Please advise.

December 27, 2012 - 12:53pm
paulh.11927's picture

On my fourth go it worked. I still got the 1602 error but it was working after ATV reboot.  What did it for me was clearing the itunes prefs ...

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist (on the command line)

... and making sure that my iphone was not connecting by WIFI and concurrently interoperating with itunes as SeasOnPass tried to contriol itunes.

January 12, 2013 - 4:42am
Syy's picture
Syy

Hi Guys, 

My ATV2 was jailbroken on the IOS 5.0.2 un-tethered software but for some reason last it just stopped working (blinking light, will not boot).

I have tried a standard restore in iTunes back to factory but the recovery gets stuck and iTunes states "Waiting for Apple TV"

So i have also tried re-jail breaking the device using the latest version of SeasonPass and iTunes but then the script launches iTunes and just stays at the recovery screen doesn't actually start it? 

If i choose to restore the SP IPSW file manually i get error 1600 from iTunes?

This is what i have tried so far... 

1) Tried on two different Windows 7 32bit PC's 

2) Tried different USB Cables and Ports

3) Latest versions of iTunes and SeasonPass

4) Host File Mod

5) Ensured all other iDevices are disconnected from iTunes

6) Tried to restore on Older versions of iTunes (10.)

Im gonna try it on a mac also as a long shot but other than that im not sure what else to do, im beginning to worry if its bricked forever?

Any help very very much appreciated 

Cheers 

EDIT : Sorry i meant IOS 5.1.1 Un-tethered

January 17, 2013 - 1:40pm
Syy's picture
Syy

Can anybody help me here at all? I dont know what else to do Frown

January 22, 2013 - 3:20am
Wulfekotte's picture

Does anyone know what to do with a error -1 when flashing the Apple TV in iTunes 11 with Seas0npass?

When I do a "normal" restore of the latest 5.0.2 software I don't get any error.

Suggestions???

I'm flashing with the latest Seas0npass software on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.8.2

January 23, 2013 - 8:58am (Reply to #197)
dave.johnston9's picture
  BmlCom wrote:

Does anyone know what to do with a error -1 when flashing the Apple TV in iTunes 11 with Seas0npass?

When I do a "normal" restore of the latest 5.0.2 software I don't get any error.

Suggestions???

I'm flashing with the latest Seas0npass software on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.8.2

-1 or -9 issues means the USB is losing connection to the apple tv before it can update, eitehr try a new USB cable, or try a new computer, my laptop suddenly stopped jailbreaking through the USB ports, but switched to my acer revo and it worked first time.

January 23, 2013 - 11:16am (Reply to #198)
Wulfekotte's picture
  dave.johnston9 wrote:

-1 or -9 issues means the USB is losing connection to the apple tv before it can update, eitehr try a new USB cable, or try a new computer, my laptop suddenly stopped jailbreaking through the USB ports, but switched to my acer revo and it worked first time.

But how is that possible if a regular restore just works fine?
I was also thinking about a possible hardware error, but than I can't explain why a normal restore just works fine.

January 23, 2013 - 5:30pm (Reply to #199)
robby's picture
  Syy wrote:

Hi Guys, 

My ATV2 was jailbroken on the IOS 5.0.2 un-tethered software but for some reason last it just stopped working (blinking light, will not boot).

I have tried a standard restore in iTunes back to factory but the recovery gets stuck and iTunes states "Waiting for Apple TV"

So i have also tried re-jail breaking the device using the latest version of SeasonPass and iTunes but then the script launches iTunes and just stays at the recovery screen doesn't actually start it? 

4) Host File Mod

Im gonna try it on a mac also as a long shot but other than that im not sure what else to do, im beginning to worry if its bricked forever?

Cheers 

The apple tv is bricked there's not much that can be done.

January 23, 2013 - 9:10pm (Reply to #200)
mrpappagiorgio's picture
  Syy wrote:

Hi Guys, 

4) Host File Mod

Cheers 

My Apple TV just started doing this today as well again. It did it last week as well and somehow I got it to come back to life but I don't remember what I did to get it to work. So needless to say It's not completely bricked forever because I somehow managed to get it back working again but It did die again for me. If I get it back working I'll make sure to post what I did here for you.... 

January 24, 2013 - 2:09am (Reply to #201)
dave.johnston9's picture
  BmlCom wrote:

But how is that possible if a regular restore just works fine?
I was also thinking about a possible hardware error, but than I can't explain why a normal restore just works fine.

My -1 error wouldn't even let me do a regular restore

February 2, 2013 - 11:18am
mjatk's picture

After continuing to get "not elgible for build" Error messages, here is how I was able to trick iTunes into Restoring a clean

WARNING: This is a fresh install, so you will need to reinstall ATV Flash

You can manually access the Appletv via cyberduck. 

(https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&...)

When in the applet file system navigate to systemversion.plist

System>Core Services> systemversion.plist 

Download file from ATV, then open in Text edit and

Manually change the version string to one older than current (5.0.1 as of 2-2-13) 

Drag and drop updated one on to ATV, and overwrite.

Plug it in to computer and open iTunes and restore.

February 2, 2013 - 4:39pm
MightyJew's picture
  February 15, 2013 - 11:54am
fcepero's picture

hi i have problem installing in media the shared computers any advice.

February 15, 2013 - 1:03pm
lapper's picture

Had loads of problems with errors until I found out that my shop built pc had internal usb connections, (card readers etc). I used a clean laptop and loaded first time, no problems.

February 16, 2013 - 2:27am (Reply to #206)
ugrrrrrrrrr's picture
  james wrote:

Details on other possible iTunes errors can be found here.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1275

Hi James,

I am using:

iTunes 11.0.1 (12)

OSX 10.7.5 – no updates available

The only USB connected device is ATV – when asked to connect

No security settings issue as I am able to restore the original image using iTunes

However, every time I try to patch the system I get the error shown in the attached image.

Should I give up?

Thanks

February 16, 2013 - 12:41pm (Reply to #207)
Toonces's picture
Kudos: 1

Error 1 or -1 usually indicates a hardware problem. Try a different USB port. If that doesn't work, try a different computer. And if that doesn't work, try a different micro USB cable. Also, for good measure, run Disk Utility on your computer to ensure there are no problems with your OS install or hard drive.

ugrrrrrrrrr wrote:

Hi James,

I am using:

iTunes 11.0.1 (12)

OSX 10.7.5 – no updates available

The only USB connected device is ATV – when asked to connect

No security settings issue as I am able to restore the original image using iTunes

However, every time I try to patch the system I get the error shown in the attached image.

Should I give up?

Thanks

February 16, 2013 - 7:10pm
toddp.4898's picture

Successful update/re-jailbreak here, after a multi-hour battle... figured I'd post my steps in case it helps someone.

ATV2, MacOS 10.6.8, iTunes 11.0.1 (ATV upgrade from 4.3 to 5.2)

• plug in ATV2 to Mac, restored firmware to Apple 5.2 via iTunes (realize now this was unnecessary step)
  • attempt seas0npass jailbreak, encountered "filesystem patch failed" error. 
  • fixed this by updating the evasi0n.tgz file as per earlier in this thread (download replacement evasi0n.tgz file, copy file to clipboard, locate seas0npass.app, control-click on file, Show Package Contents, navigate to Contents > Resources > Bundles, control-click on AppleTV2,1_5.2--- file, Show Package Contents, (should see old evasi0n.tgz file), paste replacement here.)
  • reattempt seas0npass jailbreak, success all the way through in creating the new .ipsw
  • next step is getting the ATV2 into DFU mode, this worked and it updated the first file here successfully
  • next it should fire up iTunes and restore the custom .ipsw, seas0npass shows message "please wait, script is running", however nothing is actually happening as iTunes did not kick off the firmware restore automatically. 
  • to get around this, I had to locate the custom .ipsw that was created. I found this by: opening Finder, option-click on the 'Go' menu, choose 'Home', which will make visible the User/<you>/Library folder. Navigate down to Library/Application Support/Seas0nPass/Firmware, and copy the AppleTV2,1_5.2_10B144b_SP_Restore.ipsw file, paste into your local user folder somewhere where it won't be hidden.
  • Fire up iTunes and reconnect ATV2, shift-click on the Restore button and it should pop up a finder window and allow you to choose your own file. locate the custom .ipsw you just copied and pick it.
  • Firmware now updated successfully to ATV2 and I was good to go to hook it back up to the TV (it took quite a while to come up, and seemed to freeze on a black screen after displaying the Apple logo -- i left it for about 10 min, assumed it was frozen, unplugged and replugged, this time took about a minute to come up to the setup page. Good to go!

Sorry if too much detail, but being a bit of a mac osx novice took me a fair bit of time to look up how to accomplish some of the individual tasks... might save someone else like me a bit of time.

Thanks Firecore, i've enjoyed my modded ATV2 for over a year now, and use the extra functionality all the time!

February 17, 2013 - 4:19am
nicok.0732's picture

Hi toddp.4898,

thank you for the good description!! I stuck on the part of finding the restore ipsw, didn't think about it that it could be hidden.

Finally got my device jailbroken also! 8)

February 18, 2013 - 2:06am (Reply to #210)
ugrrrrrrrrr's picture
  Toonces wrote:

Error 1 or -1 usually indicates a hardware problem. Try a different USB port. If that doesn't work, try a different computer. And if that doesn't work, try a different micro USB cable. Also, for good measure, run Disk Utility on your computer to ensure there are no problems with your OS install or hard drive.

How is it possible that the hardware problem prevents the patch to be installed while I am able to restore the original firmware is a mystery... anyways after another couple of hours, reboots, downloads, uploads, cable changes, etc. I gave definitely up.

Will not upgrade my license and forget about this software that is the most user un-friendly I ever used in 30 years.

Toonces, I understand you are not a firecore employee so thank you so much for your time.