58 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  January 2, 2010 - 11:07am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,186

[b]--Updated 1/28/2010--[/b] Unfortunately Adobe Flash will not be supported in Couch Surfer Pro when running AppleTV 3.0 or later.

The AppleTV 3.0+ software includes a highly customized version of Webkit. WebKit is used for many system functions including media playback, cover art display, searching and of course web browsing. Unlike previous versions, this version has disabled Netscape type plugins such as Adobe Flash, Quicktime and Silverlight. We spent many hours attempting to recreate a new version of WebKit that would allow for enabling these plugins while retaining the normal functionality of the AppleTV.

After 3 months, and an enormous amount of research, development, and testing all attempts to create a new modified version of WebKit resulted in lost features and system instability. It's apparent at this point that due to the highly customized nature of the AppleTV that creating a set of WebKit frameworks that will support Adobe Flash while maintaining a normal operating system is next to impossible.

We'll continue to research alternatives to enabling Adobe Flash and will post any updates here.

Note: Adobe Flash can be viewed in Firefox after enabling Flash as described here: http://support.firecore.com/entries/259320

[b][Update 3/8/10][/b] Even with Adobe Flash properly enabled, Flash video performance in Firefox may still be less than ideal due to the AppleTV's limited processing power.

September 27, 2010 - 3:08pm
noall666's picture
Kudos: 0

Ok. this may seem dumb, but, were do i access the firefox browser from. I cant seem to find were to get the thing opened?

it says its installed and i rebooted?

Always go for ALL! Never settle for less!

September 28, 2010 - 9:15am (Reply to #2)
max's picture
max
Kudos: 1

When installed, Firefox will be visible through the nitoTV --> Applications menu.

This menu will be hidden by default, but can easily be enabled through the nitoTV --> Settings --> Categories menu.

October 25, 2010 - 6:12pm
davidr.3059's picture

so i pretty much wasted 50 fucking dolars on atvflash just so i could play netflix on my old apple tv. installing WMV does nothing.   thanks for stealing my money assholes.

October 25, 2010 - 6:13pm (Reply to #4)
davidr.3059's picture

RE: keyboards. you need to make it clear it will not work with bluetooth keyboards, only RF

October 25, 2010 - 6:21pm (Reply to #5)
davidr.3059's picture

I CANT EVEN OPEN FIREFOX. the mouse freezes,  silverlight/adobe wont work, cant watch netflix. the nintendo doesnt work. ect ect ect ATVFLASH SUCKS

November 2, 2010 - 2:46am
xcell's picture

So - for all of you who bought atvflash to watch video content on the net which uses adobe flash player (using CouchSurfer or Firefox plugin) : it's not working - though I suppose the team is working on it ever since I bought it from firecore 1 year ago.

Until then I downloaded every upgrade and went through the process discribed to run the flash player - to no success. Maybe it would be helpful for customers to mention the incabibility of using adobe's flash player with atvFlash as there might be others not getting what the have thought for - "unlimited" webbworsing using atvFlash stays a wish until now.

All the best for getting it working!

January 12, 2011 - 10:22am
christopherj.8843's picture

When I uploaded atv flash to my apple tv I didnt see the applications button to download Mozilla Firefox. What should I do.

June 8, 2011 - 3:41pm
Pyke's picture

thanks

February 29, 2012 - 7:27am
zeroinf's picture

bcm970015 suppose to support adobe flash 10.1. has anyone tried that with firefox? how is the flash video performance (youtube 720p etc.)?

March 30, 2012 - 3:33pm
alistairk.8035's picture

Hi - I followed your detailed instructions to install Adobe Flash on my ATV1. That is I bought an unlicenced copy of Mac OSX 10.4.10 Tiger (Intel), using Pacifist I extracted the 'CoreAudioKit.framework' folder (a process which required me to copy it first from Pacifist to a clean USB drive and then FTP it to the documents folder in my AppleTV. I checked to see if Adobe Flash was installed on my ATV1 and it said that it was. I then when to the BBC News website and tried to view some videos in Flash. It told me that my version of Flash was not up-to-date (not surprising since your instructions on how to do this were dated September 10 2010) and directed me to the Adobe Flash website to download this. But naturally this does not download. So what do you recommend I do? How can I update the version of Flash on my ATV1?

You said: 

Hi, after copying the framework to the AppleTV you will need to re-install Adobe Flash through the menus.
Try this.
1. Navigate to the Maintenance --> Install Extras menu. 2. Highlight the Adobe Flash item and press the right arrow to remove it. 3. Restart the AppleTV when prompted. 4. Go back to the Install Extras menu and re-install the Adobe Flash item.
-FireCore Support 
So I  followed your instructions. The AppleTV wants to download Adobe Flash Version 10.1.53.64 
But if I want to view stuff with Adobe Flash I am told by the Adobe website I need Adobe Flash 10.3.183.17
How can I get it to get this upgrade?
You said:

, there is very limited support for Adobe Flash on the ATV1 and full details for enabling it can be found here.
http://support.firecore.com/entries/259320-enabling-adobe-flash
I said":

That does not deal with my problem and your support information is out of date. The 'full details' you mention are a support message from two years ago. My problem is that your Install Extras menu defaults to update to Adobe Flash Version 10.1.53.64 But if I want to view stuff with Adobe Flash I am told by the Adobe website I need Adobe Flash 10.3.183.17
This version of Adobe Flash was released after your support message was produced. There must be a mechanism to allow the Install Extras menu to update Adobe Flash to Version 10.3.183.17 which is the up to date release for Adobe 10 and people running Tiger on their AppleTVs

April 13, 2012 - 1:12am
alistairk.8035's picture

Following some extensive work Adobe have now upgraded everything to Adobe Flash 11. The version of Adobe Flash you require in April 2012 is now 11.2.202.228

But the ATV1 can only be upgraded to Adobe Flash 10 - to be precise the latest version of Flash for Mac OS X Tiger is 10.3.183.18, which is the version available through the Install Extras menu. So Firecore have come to the end of the road with this issue and it cannot be fixed. Best to make it clear to everyone that ATV1 in 2012 can no longer run Adobe Flash - possibly by something on the main website

February 16, 2015 - 9:37pm
lhcsummer's picture

I have read the article and i totally agree

March 10, 2015 - 8:50am
majd72's picture
  james wrote:

[b]--Updated 1/28/2010--[/b] Unfortunately Adobe Flash will not be supported in Couch Surfer Pro when running AppleTV 3.0 or later.

The AppleTV 3.0+ software includes a highly customized version of Webkit. WebKit is used for many system functions including media playback, cover art display, searching and of course web browsing. Unlike previous versions, this version has disabled Netscape type plugins such as Adobe Flash, Quicktime and Silverlight. We spent many hours attempting to recreate a new version of WebKit that would allow for enabling these plugins while retaining the normal functionality of the AppleTV.

After 3 months, and an enormous amount of research, development, and testing all attempts to create a new modified version of WebKit resulted in lost features and system instability. It's apparent at this point that due to the highly customized nature of the AppleTV that creating a set of WebKit frameworks that will support Adobe Flash while maintaining a normal operating system is next to impossible.

We'll continue to research alternatives to enabling Adobe Flash and will post any updates here.

Note: Adobe Flash can be viewed in Firefox after enabling Flash as described here: http://support.firecore.com/entries/259320

[b][Update 3/8/10][/b] Even with Adobe Flash properly enabled, Flash video performance in Firefox may still be less than ideal due to the AppleTV's limited processing power.

ivfc

January 4, 2010 - 1:22am
gilford's picture

:cry:

January 7, 2010 - 7:29am
WimbleNEWB's picture

OK I am a total newb...ssooo please help me
I have just installed atv and I understand about the lack of adobe flash support....which I hope is fixed soon......
I cannot find where to access couch surfer???....according to the screens where it is mentioned ... it is installed....and I have the latest version.....but I do not have the INTERNET menu option that is referenced in all the web screen shots to actually get to it.
I dont get much time to scroll thru all the menus as my wife wants to watch the tv
Have I missed installing a plugin or something???
Help and be gentle please...I am a newb

January 7, 2010 - 7:43am
max's picture
max
  "WimbleNEWB" wrote:

OK I am a total newb...ssooo please help me
I have just installed atv and I understand about the lack of adobe flash support....which I hope is fixed soon......
I cannot find where to access couch surfer???....according to the screens where it is mentioned ... it is installed....and I have the latest version.....but I do not have the INTERNET menu option that is referenced in all the web screen shots to actually get to it.
I dont get much time to scroll thru all the menus as my wife wants to watch the tv
Have I missed installing a plugin or something???
Help and be gentle please...I am a newb

In the 3.x AppleTV software Couch Surfer will appear as 'Browser'. If not installed, Couch Surfer can be downloaded through the Maintenance > Manage Plugins menu.

January 19, 2010 - 9:47am
WhereIF's picture
  "aTV Flash" wrote:

[b]--Updated 1/2/2010--[/b]Note: Adobe Flash can currently be viewed in Firefox after enabling Flash as described here:
http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Enabl...

I had already installed Adobe Flash before I saw this wiki article. I have since gotten a copy of the correct CoreAudioKit.framework file. My problem is that I can't reinstall Adobe Flash. Is there a way to uninstall Adobe Flash or force ATV to use the new CoreAudioKit.framework another way?

Thanks.

Bill

"Young fool...only now, at the end, do you understand."

January 20, 2010 - 2:11pm
MJBoryla's picture

I know the correct version of CoreAudioKit.framework can not be distributed on this site; however, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to find this file so I can install it on my ATV. I installed ATV Flash about three weeks ago and have had no luck locating this file. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Mark

January 20, 2010 - 2:12pm
gilford's picture

Don't waste your life looking for it, it doesn't work!

January 22, 2010 - 6:55pm
Ukrainianoiler's picture

Hi,
I'm also looking for the coreaudio file if anyone can email it I'd be truely appreciative and return the favour down the road for anyone else.

Also - I actually had Justin.tv up and running the other night - it told me that i needed flash but I somehow got past that and had multiple channels working pretty well (so I'm pumped that a flash update will soon be here?!). The only problem is, its back to its old self now and just shows me a black screen. Any idea what i did wrong to get it working in the first place?
Can't wait for flash update
Thanks for help in advance.

January 28, 2010 - 10:57am
velopreacher's picture

Still no Flash update? I got ATVFlash for one reason: to watch Hulu. The recent 4.0.6 update does not do it.

January 28, 2010 - 11:48am
max's picture
max
  "velopreacher" wrote:

Still no Flash update? I got ATVFlash for one reason: to watch Hulu. The recent 4.0.6 update does not do it.

Hulu videos can still be viewed through Boxee.

January 28, 2010 - 12:01pm
JohnJohnD44's picture
  "aTV Flash" wrote:

[b]--Updated 1/28/2010--[/b]
After 3 months, and an enormous amount of research, development, and testing all attempts to create a new modified version of WebKit resulted in lost features and system instability. It's apparent at this point that due to the highly customized nature of the AppleTV that creating a set of WebKit frameworks that will support Adobe Flash while maintaining a normally operating system is next to impossible.

First, thanks for all of the hard work with Flash on AppleTV v3.x: the outcome is disappointing, but I know that it's not for lack of effort on your part. I hope that some alternatives are forthcoming, but your work is very much appreciated.

"aTV Flash" wrote:

Note: Adobe Flash can be viewed in Firefox after enabling Flash as described here:
http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Enabl...

I see this little teaser out there, but the link about enabling Adobe Flash says nothing at all about Firefox and how to get it going on AppleTV and/or ATVFlash...I didn't even know that Firefox could be used on ATVFlash. Is there an article or forum post somewhere on how to get Firefox going, so that we can use Adobe Flash?

January 28, 2010 - 12:27pm
max's picture
max
  "JohnJohnD44" wrote:

I see this little teaser out there, but the link about enabling Adobe Flash says nothing at all about Firefox and how to get it going on AppleTV and/or ATVFlash...I didn't even know that Firefox could be used on ATVFlash. Is there an article or forum post somewhere on how to get Firefox going, so that we can use Adobe Flash?

Firefox can be installed through the Maintenance --> Install Extras menu, then launched through the nitoTV --> Applications menu.

Note: A USB keyboard/mouse or Mobile Air Mouse iPhone app will be required to control Firefox.
http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Mobil...

January 28, 2010 - 2:06pm
WhereIF's picture
  "guardianmax" wrote:

Hulu on Boxee on aTV Flash hasn't worked in a long time. Has 4.0.6 fixed that (with the updated Boxee)? I haven't upgraded from 4.0.5 yet and tried. That would be big news.

January 28, 2010 - 2:22pm
gilford's picture
  "WhereIF" wrote:
  "guardianmax" wrote:

Hulu on Boxee on aTV Flash hasn't worked in a long time. Has 4.0.6 fixed that (with the updated Boxee)? I haven't upgraded from 4.0.5 yet and tried. That would be big news.

Don't be silly, of course it DOESN'T work!

January 28, 2010 - 2:31pm
WhereIF's picture
  "gilford" wrote:

Don't be silly, of course it DOESN'T work!

guardianmax, why would you lead us astray?

Can we just set the record straight? As much as folks want Adobe Flash for various reasons, the #1 reason I see is for watching Hulu on aTV Flash.

I want to confirm the following statements:

As of January 28, 2010 and aTV Flash 4.0.6:

• Hulu does not work on Couch Surfer on aTV Flash
  • Hulu does not work on Boxee on aTV Flash
  • Hulu does not work on Firefox on aTV Flash
  • Hulu does not work ANYWHERE on aTV Flash

I am not trying to complain, I just want to get to the facts. I see too much false and contradictory information.

Thanks.

January 28, 2010 - 2:51pm
max's picture
max

Sorry...my previous statement was a bit misleading.

Below are the facts.
-Hulu WORKS in Firefox (Adobe Flash must be enabled as described here: http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Enabl...)
-Hulu WORKS sometimes in Boxee...this should be improved once Boxee beta is released.
-Hulu does not work in Couch Surfer.

January 28, 2010 - 3:04pm
WhereIF's picture
  "guardianmax" wrote:

Sorry...my previous statement was a bit misleading.
-Hulu WORKS in Firefox (Adobe Flash must be enabled as described here: http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Enabl...)

guardianmax, no worries.

I have a follow-up for guardianmax or anyone else who may know. I installed Adobe Flash through the maintenance menu BEFORE I read the wiki article. I have since gotten the correct CoreAudioKit.framework file, but I cannot reinstall Adobe Flash via the maintenance menu. It is listed as already installed and when I try to choose it anyway, it says that it is already installed. Is there a way to uninstall Adobe Flash or force it to either reinstall or use the correct CoreAudioKit.framework file?

Also, I have never gotten Boxee to work on aTV Flash since the Apple 3.x upgrade. I guess I give up too easily. For all intents and purposes, it is broken. Saying it "sometimes works" gives a bit more hope to folks than I think there really is. My 2-cents.

Anyway, thanks for jumping in to help give some answers.

January 28, 2010 - 3:28pm
velopreacher's picture

Boxee does not work for Hulu either. I go to Hulu Feeds select a video. It shows a progress indicator. The the loading video screen comes up. And then nothing, just a black screen. I go for a stroll around the block and still nothing. (not sure what I got for $50)