58 posts / 0 new / Last post
  January 28, 2010 - 3:31pm
max's picture
max
Kudos: 1
  "WhereIF" wrote:

guardianmax, no worries.

I have a follow-up for guardianmax or anyone else who may know. I installed Adobe Flash through the maintenance menu BEFORE I read the wiki article. I have since gotten the correct CoreAudioKit.framework file, but I cannot reinstall Adobe Flash via the maintenance menu. It is listed as already installed and when I try to choose it anyway, it says that it is already installed. Is there a way to uninstall Adobe Flash or force it to either reinstall or use the correct CoreAudioKit.framework file?

Also, I have never gotten Boxee to work on aTV Flash since the Apple 3.x upgrade. I guess I give up too easily. For all intents and purposes, it is broken. Saying it "sometimes works" gives a bit more hope to folks than I think there really is. My 2-cents.

Anyway, thanks for jumping in to help give some answers.

Yes, you can remove Adobe Flash by highlighting the entry and pressing the right arrow (>>) button.

Note: Make sure you are running the latest version of Maintenance (update through Maintenance --> Manage Plugins if needed).

January 28, 2010 - 3:33pm
max's picture
max
  "velopreacher" wrote:

Boxee does not work for Hulu either. I go to Hulu Feeds select a video. It shows a progress indicator. The the loading video screen comes up. And then nothing, just a black screen. I go for a stroll around the block and still nothing. (not sure what I got for $50)

As mentioned before Hulu is hit or miss right now through Boxee. Things should hopefully improve once Boxee beta is officially released for the AppleTV.

January 28, 2010 - 3:33pm
gilford's picture
Kudos: 0
  "velopreacher" wrote:

Boxee does not work for Hulu either. I go to Hulu Feeds select a video. It shows a progress indicator. The the loading video screen comes up. And then nothing, just a black screen. I go for a stroll around the block and still nothing. (not sure what I got for $50)

what do you mean? For $50 we get to come on here and moan about how awful ATVFlash is, what were you expecting Wink

on a serious note, these guys are taking us for mugs, no fixes to things promised last decade!

I come here and speak my mind with the truth, the mods keep deleting my posts, what does that tell you??

January 28, 2010 - 3:44pm
WhereIF's picture
  "velopreacher" wrote:

(not sure what I got for $50)

I see comments like this more and more. You actually get a hell of a lot for $50 even without Adobe Flash and Hulu. If you were only looking to watch Hulu on Apple TV then I can understand your disappointment. As far as Boxee woes go, you will need to complain in the Boxee forums.

[url]http://forum.boxee.tv/[/url]

"Young fool...only now, at the end, do you understand."

January 28, 2010 - 4:23pm
max's picture
max
  "gilford" wrote:

on a serious note, these guys are taking us for mugs, no fixes to things promised last decade!

If you read the initial post that was updated today, you will see every effort was made to enable Adobe Flash in Couch Surfer. Personally I was hoping things would turn out differently, but can understand the reasons why they did not.

FWIW, even under the previous 2.4 AppleTV software when Flash was working, it wasn't that great. The AppleTV was not designed for streaming Internet media and it really shows it.

January 29, 2010 - 2:33am
sonic's picture

Hulu doesnt really works in firefox... its very slowly. You can`t watch that.

January 29, 2010 - 2:43am
gilford's picture
  "guardianmax" wrote:
  "gilford" wrote:

FWIW, even under the previous 2.4 AppleTV software when Flash was working, it wasn't that great. The AppleTV was not designed for streaming Internet media and it really shows it.

Why advertise it as supporting flash then!? This is one of the sole reasons I purchased it for?!

You guys really need to take some Business 101 classes......................

January 29, 2010 - 6:09am
rbitting's picture

I have installed Firefox and (it said successful, and yes I have the correct CoreAudioKit.framework File, it worked in the previous version).

Now when I start Firefox, and try to play any flash content, it looks like it tries to play (the plugin needed icon goes away), but the screen stays blank. I waited a long time and tried the Adobe Test Flash and still nothing.

Any ideas on why it doesn't play? Permissions or am I misssing something? Thanks.

Engineer, Geek, Traveler and Fledgling Photographer.

January 29, 2010 - 7:35am
max's picture
max
  "gilford" wrote:

Why advertise it as supporting flash then!? This is one of the sole reasons I purchased it for?!

You guys really need to take some Business 101 classes......................

There has always been a guide for enabling it, but Adobe Flash support has never been an advertised feature.

January 29, 2010 - 1:54pm
djwmaclearner's picture

I got my aTV flash working on apple tv version v3.01 the only problem that I have is web site with flash. Can someone please! please! confirm and advice the following questions pertaining to flash player for Apple TV verison V3.01 with aTV Flash.

Q1) Couch Surfer installed with most recent version of aTV Falsh will not work with any web site that uses flash10 and above i.e. Hulu?
Q2) Firefox suppose to work. I'm on macbook pro with snowleapard but I did obtain the file CoreAudioKit.framework. How do I update this file and get the firefox to take the update?
Q3) Any alternative to get the flash player working with current version of Apple TV?

I've realize that flash player is such import plugin for apple tv as a lot of site that I view uses it. Sorry my post is not written very well as I'm a newbie. Please take it easy on me. But I do appreciate any help to get flash working for my apple tv version V3.01 Thank you!

January 30, 2010 - 8:02pm
WhereIF's picture
  "guardianmax" wrote:

Sorry...my previous statement was a bit misleading.

Below are the facts.
-Hulu WORKS in Firefox (Adobe Flash must be enabled as described here: http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Enable_Flash)
-Hulu WORKS sometimes in Boxee...this should be improved once Boxee beta is released.
-Hulu does not work in Couch Surfer.

djwmaclearner, the answer was posted not too far above your comments in this thread. Se the quote from guardianmax above.

Although, reports are that although Hulu does work in Firefox, it does not work well. I haven't had a chance to try it yet myself. I will comment back when I do.

As far as Hulu working sometimes in Boxee, I haven't ever gotten it to work with Apple TV Update 3.x. Just bad luck, I guess. Wink

The issue in Couch Surfer doesn't seem to be with Flash 10, but with any version of flash due to a change in the way Apple TV OS deals with plugins. See the update at the very top of this thread for the details. Hulu issues in Boxee are Boxee issues. Boxee does not have an updated version yet for aTV Flash users.

Hope this helped.

January 30, 2010 - 11:20pm
akpfeiff's picture

While the latest update on Adobe Flash and ATV 3.X DOES suck, I am very grateful to have:

All of the other Boxee content
An external drive to store media beyond the ATV's capacity
NITO TV that will read Video TS files so I have my collection of DVD's with FULL menus available
Couch Surfer
Loop Controller

I feel like I pretty much got my 50 bucks worth... Smile

February 3, 2010 - 3:26pm
meritter's picture

I purchased your product with the understanding that Flash worked in couch surfer. Unfortunately I wasted my money. Is there a way to get a refund?

February 8, 2010 - 6:08pm
atv_user's picture

What is the location of the Documents folder that is being referred to? I cannot locate one at the root level of the drive, so I have been using on in the front row users directory.
Is this correct, or should I be creating one at the root level of the drive?

February 8, 2010 - 7:08pm
max's picture
max
  "atv_user" wrote:

What is the location of the Documents folder that is being referred to? I cannot locate one at the root level of the drive, so I have been using on in the front row users directory.
Is this correct, or should I be creating one at the root level of the drive?

Yes, the /Users/frontrow/Documents folder is correct.

February 14, 2010 - 2:31pm
nick7020's picture

Hello to all,
cant get flash working within firefoxapp. Tried serveral mediathek like ZDF, Redbull, ServusTV, a.s.o.
Have no Tiger CD.... Frown

Actually I am within the 15 days testperiod of ATVFLASH.

Allthough flash is part of the Hack,I cant get the most interesting part of it working.

Any tips on this ha?

Greetz
nick7020

February 14, 2010 - 2:54pm
odinb's picture

See my response in your (at least) 2 other posts.

You do know that cross posting like that is not something that one should do, it is referred to as spamming, and can get you booted from many forums.

So please stop the cross posting!!!

February 25, 2010 - 3:39pm
mozdzierz's picture

I sure hope you can get this fixed. What ever we can do to help.

If not, it might be the end of ATVFlash.

March 3, 2010 - 7:48pm
xcell's picture
  "nick7020" wrote:

Hello to all,
cant get flash working within firefoxapp. Tried serveral mediathek like ZDF, Redbull, ServusTV, a.s.o.
Have no Tiger CD.... Frown

Actually I am within the 15 days testperiod of ATVFLASH.

Allthough flash is part of the Hack,I cant get the most interesting part of it working.

Any tips on this ha?

Greetz
nick7020

I am trying since October last year to get Flash working on aTV "Flash".
To make a long story (lots of wasted time and money) short: Adobe Flash DOES NOT WORK WITH atvFlash - not in ChouchSurfer, not in Firefox (at least if one wants to stream Adobe Flash contents properly), and if I interpret the term "...support Adobe Flash...is next to impossible" correctly - never will.

The only reason why I'm still complaining is that aTV developers and support staff keep telling that they "...continue to research alternatives..." and I am still believing in miracles... :|
Now, if anyone who reads this post wants to buy aTV for watching Adobe flash streams on Apple TV you will have to invest 49.- U$ in future funds. In the meantime I suggest to remove "Flash" in the brand name - it might lead to false assumptions in using this software.

March 3, 2010 - 8:01pm
odinb's picture

Standard flash works in Firefox (not HQ). You just have to follow the correct installation procedure.

http://forum.atvflash.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2629&p=11098#p11098

March 3, 2010 - 8:07pm
andresgarciacuellar's picture

Flash simply does not work in Apple TV neither trouhg firefox. It was the reason I spent the money... no refunds?

March 3, 2010 - 8:33pm
xcell's picture
  "odinb" wrote:

Standard flash works in Firefox (not HQ). You just have to follow the correct installation procedure.

http://forum.atvflash.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2629&p=11098#p11098

I am neither using XBMC or Boxee (Adobe Flash might work for these apps). I am "simply" trying to stream live media through CouchSurfer or Firefox in aTV, for example:
http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/hauptnavigation/startseite#/hauptnavigati...

Now, if you can run these flash streams on your apple TV please let me know; if not please refrain from telling people that Adobe Flash works in aTV using Firefox.

March 3, 2010 - 9:36pm
odinb's picture
  "xcell" wrote:

Now, if you can run these flash streams on your apple TV please let me know; if not please refrain from telling people that Adobe Flash works in aTV using Firefox.

That link does not even work on my Linux PC, crappy webdesign and crappy flash....
It works under Windows.

On my AppleTV, I tried "Wo bleibt die Katastrophe?" (Abenteuer Forschung) and "Die Ärzte". They did play in Firefox, but it can be discussed if they were watchable...they stutter, and audio/video is slightly out of sync.

Try going to svtplay.se instead, and you will see it stream flash content. That page works even in full-screen with no stutter. It will stutter just when you start it and for the first 2-3 seconds, but then it is fine.

Probably the bit-rate on the ZDF-material is borderline too high.

March 4, 2010 - 8:59am
WhereIF's picture

I have followed the instructions for getting Adobe Flash to work in Firefox and although it does recognize Flash now, but it works VERY poorly. I would not label it as "Adobe Flash works in Firefox" at all. I agree, ATV Flash folks should really stop touting that. You need a more general, "For Adobe Flash use, Read This" link and be very clear on the current limitations to Adobe Flash. In Firefox it is a hit or miss affair, IMHO. Clearly many others also agree.

As for Couch Surfer, it should be pretty well known by now that Adobe Flash will not work. Some folks who post about Couch Surfer do not seem to have read the first post in this thread...

I just updated to Apple TV 3.0.2 and reinstalled ATV Flash 4.0.6 and have not bothered to reinstall Firefox or Adobe Flash. For my needs, it is a waste of time. I honestly only care about Adobe Flash for sites like Hulu, so general web surfing on my TV is not what I care about, so I am not in need of Firefox anyway. I'll wait until it is all fixed. Apple seems to have a severe hatred for Adobe Flash. I assume none of this will be settled until HTML 5 is front and center and sites like Hulu either move away from Adobe Flash or embrace dual technologies.

March 5, 2010 - 9:07am
WaterCooled's picture
  "WhereIF" wrote:

I have followed the instructions for getting Adobe Flash to work in Firefox and although it does recognize Flash now, but it works VERY poorly. I would not label it as "Adobe Flash works in Firefox" at all. I agree, ATV Flash folks should really stop touting that. You need a more general, "For Adobe Flash use, Read This" link and be very clear on the current limitations to Adobe Flash. In Firefox it is a hit or miss affair, IMHO. Clearly many others also agree.

As for Couch Surfer, it should be pretty well known by now that Adobe Flash will not work. Some folks who post about Couch Surfer do not seem to have read the first post in this thread...

I just updated to Apple TV 3.0.2 and reinstalled ATV Flash 4.0.6 and have not bothered to reinstall Firefox or Adobe Flash. For my needs, it is a waste of time. I honestly only care about Adobe Flash for sites like Hulu, so general web surfing on my TV is not what I care about, so I am not in need of Firefox anyway. I'll wait until it is all fixed. Apple seems to have a severe hatred for Adobe Flash. I assume none of this will be settled until HTML 5 is front and center and sites like Hulu either move away from Adobe Flash or embrace dual technologies.

Just remember that AppleTV's CPU runs at 1GHz...
From my point of view, i'm very happy with Firefox + Flash for my uses (professional Flex applications).

March 5, 2010 - 11:01am
WhereIF's picture
  "WaterCooled" wrote:

Just remember that AppleTV's CPU runs at 1GHz...
From my point of view, i'm very happy with Firefox + Flash for my uses (professional Flex applications).

I am not sure of the point you are trying to make? Firefox and Adobe Flash can work okay in some situations? If so, sure, I agree.

My point is that ATV Flash should stop implying that Adobe Flash works with Firefox without problems. The message many folks post as well as the mods is the link to the instructions to get Adobe Flash working with Firefox. This implies that Adobe Flash works. It does not work well in all cases (most want Hulu). It is not about blame for me. Whether it is ATV Flash, Apple Software, Apple Hardware, Adobe or all of the above, it doesn't really matter. ATV Flash is causing confusion by not posting a clear note on what you currently can and cannot do with Adobe Flash and how it may or may not work well in all instances.

I don't think it has to be a long explanation, even something short like: Although Adobe Flash can be installed within Firefox, reports from users has shown us that websites using Adobe Flash do not work well in all cases. Many of our users are interested in websites like Hulu.com. Current reports from users show that websites with heavy streaming video often provide a substandard viewing experience or do not play video at all. Many other sites using Adobe Flash seem to work well. Again this seems to be hit or miss and is all outside of ATV Flash control.

Blah, Blah, Blah... right, you can make it longer, shorter, whatever. My point is that is is not clear to new users (or clearly, many old users) what the story is with Adobe Flash.

I am an ATV Flash fan. I really want to view sites like Hulu, but I am still very happy with the product and my investment in it. I think that ATV Flash could help calm folks down with something like that. I also think that many folks come to ATV Flash hoping to watch Hulu on their Apple TV. ATV Flash needs to put a link on their main website something like"For those wanting to watch Hulu on Apple TV read this" and have a frank explanation of the state of Hulu and Hulu like sites.

My 2-cents.

ATV Flash, feel free to crib anything you want from my post if you think it helpful. No credit required. Smile

March 18, 2010 - 8:34am
Manxman's picture

Here's my experience. Bought an ATV a few weeks back from apple. refurbished 160gb. software was up to date.
bought ATV Flash, with a view to using Couch Surfer to view streaming video.
That was the principal purpose.

I wanted to use it to watch, live streams of sports events and what have you. Ustream, Justintv etc.
Veetle which is based on VLC I thought would work but VLC isn't working either.

But Adobe Flash is supposed to work out of the box.

Right now, It is not recognized in Couch Surfer, as explained in this thread, however had I known this before purchasing, I would've thought twice about buying ATV flash, or indeed perhaps the ATV itself. I think it would be fair for Firecore to offer refunds to those who have purchased the latest version. My 15 day trial expired yesterday...

As it stands, flash video works in firefox if properly installed, after copying the coreaudiokit.framework over as described.
It is choppy on some sites, actually okay on others. Crashes the browser occasionally, well once a session usually.
But it's shown enough for me that it is definitely possible for flash to function on the ATV to the level that most people seem to want.
(HD streaming isn't going to happen).

Accessing sites in firefox is a pain though if it could be launched more easily and in full screen mode it would save some steps.
If it worked in Couch Surfer as it does in Firefox but with remote control and without the crashes, i'd be satisfied.

[b]Best solution to this that I can see is someone comes up with an atv appliance based on Firefox, a replacement for couch surfer that recognizes plug ins (and contains a way of installing them easily) which could included in the next ATV Flash update.[/b]

Nobody can complain about levels of performance for streaming I think, but when that basic flash functionality is removed, they have grounds to.

I picked up the ATV at a good price, got a keyboard and mouse with it for these purposes but right now i'd be better off selling it and grabbing a mac mini especially if they are indeed about to come with HDMI out. Which is a shame as I like the ATV, it's a fun device, a processor bump, 1gb of RAM and a real web appliance would make it very useful indeed.
As it stands I'd be hard pressed to justify keeping it if I had a mini running front row.

Hopefully the next update comes with a flash compatible couch surfer or equivalent browser appliance.