12 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  June 16, 2011 - 11:57am
ktjensen's picture
Kudos: 0

Have been reading about a possible solution to get SLINGBOX and XBMC to work together as server, and client.  It is an expensive solution but might work well for some in certain situations. 

The cheapest solution is still to get you SLINGBOX on your remote vacation cabin television is just to use your existing ITOUCH, IPHONE, IPAD running the $30 client, and buy the $30 - $40 audio-video cable for the ITOUCH-IPAD-IPHONE.  So $70 and you have SLINGBOX PLAYER playing on your TV to echo your home TV which has the attached SLINGBOX.

Or, you can use the JACKSTA RECORDER software on your home workstation, to TIVO (record via DVR like action) your existing SLINGBOX in your local network.  Costs $40. This will save the recordings as ITUNES compatable videos, and link them into ITUNES.  Then you can use the XBMC to remotely play back that workstatation video files (or whatever tool you use for access from ATV2 to a remote server).

Have fun tinkering. 

June 22, 2011 - 9:54am
mariod.5482's picture

Or you could jailbreak your iPhone or iPad 1 and download allplay or airplayenabler. This will let you AirPlay sling layer to your atv and you can control it with your idevice. Once ios5 comes out you will be able to AirPlay the entire screen of an iPad 2 which in my opinion will be a game changer.

June 22, 2011 - 3:43pm (Reply to #2)
ktjensen's picture
  mariod.5482 wrote:

Or you could jailbreak your iPhone or iPad 1 and download allplay or airplayenabler. This will let you AirPlay sling layer to your atv and you can control it with your idevice. Once ios5 comes out you will be able to AirPlay the entire screen of an iPad 2 which in my opinion will be a game changer.

does not work.  Slingplayer will still not use airplay with a jailbroken IPHONE

June 22, 2011 - 4:12pm (Reply to #3)
mariod.5482's picture
  ktjensen wrote:

does not work.  Slingplayer will still not use airplay with a jailbroken IPHONE

I have good news for you then, besides saving a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico, it does work. I actually use it all the time with my iphone 4 with 4.3.1 FW. i have airplayenabler from cydia installed and this lets me airplay slingplayer to a jailbroken or non jailbroken ATV with the latest FW. If you have an iphone try it out.

June 23, 2011 - 3:43am (Reply to #4)
ktjensen's picture
  mariod.5482 wrote:

I have good news for you then, besides saving a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico, it does work. I actually use it all the time with my iphone 4 with 4.3.1 FW. i have airplayenabler from cydia installed and this lets me airplay slingplayer to a jailbroken or non jailbroken ATV with the latest FW. If you have an iphone try it out.

You must have an at&t iPhone with 4.3.1 and unfortunately I have a Verizon iPhone with 4.2.8 . It is irritating as hell to be so close yet unable to get this to work. Have you read of any success on Verizon jailbroken iPhones and the app tools you describe?

June 23, 2011 - 4:45am
mariod.5482's picture

I haven't heard anything but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I know you wouldn't be able to take a call while you are using the Verizon phone but really there is know difference besides that. is your phone jail broke?

June 23, 2011 - 5:19am (Reply to #6)
ktjensen's picture
  mariod.5482 wrote:

I haven't heard anything but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I know you wouldn't be able to take a call while you are using the Verizon phone but really there is know difference besides that. is your phone jail broke?

not jailbroken - YET!!  I just sold my 3GS (unlocked to Tmobile) and upgraded to Verizon Iphone 4 less than 30 days ago.    Was trying to avoid jailbreak, as I have had to do a restore about five times on the 3gs because of various functions working, then not.  Have had only random success with jailbreak (IPAD, IPHONE, ITOUCH) , as sometimes the device gets locked in restore mode and will not come out.  Did that lockup stuck in RESTORE to an IPAD 64GB Wifi and lucky for me the Apple Store traided it out at no cost to me.  Do not want to go down that path.  YET!!  Praying for 4.3 on verizon IPHONE soon.  Will see.     

June 23, 2011 - 5:35am
mariod.5482's picture

You can jailbreak with 4.2.8. The dev team released an updated jailbreak for the Verizon iPhone. It says it fixes all issues especially the battery draining one that caused a lot of problems.

June 23, 2011 - 7:57am (Reply to #8)
ktjensen's picture
  mariod.5482 wrote:

You can jailbreak with 4.2.8. The dev team released an updated jailbreak for the Verizon iPhone. It says it fixes all issues especially the battery draining one that caused a lot of problems.

Too much of an experiment. Jailbreaking Verizon iPhone. Would rather wait a while longer and consider alternatives.

June 24, 2011 - 8:11am
ktjensen's picture

Also just found that there is code within XBMC to play a SLINGBOX.  This is in the latest NIGHTLY BUILD, but  have not had success in setting this up yet, and will keep trying.  

August 18, 2011 - 2:42pm (Reply to #10)
ktjensen's picture
  ktjensen wrote:

Also just found that there is code within XBMC to play a SLINGBOX.  This is in the latest NIGHTLY BUILD, but  have not had success in setting this up yet, and will keep trying.  

Just wanted to report that I have had sucess with this.  I can play my SLINGBOX via my APPLE TV 2 and XBMC.  The trick for me was to activate INTERNET on the SLINGBOX which is not easy.  You have to remote into the setup for the SLINGBOX on the local LAN, and then it will eventually work on the distant WAN.  

March 6, 2016 - 10:07pm
rasha's picture

I actually use it all the time with my iphone 4 with 4.3.1 FW. i have airplayenabler from cydia installed and this lets me airplay slingplayer to a jailbroken or non jailbroken ATV with the latest FW.