Navigating to Media Menu shuts down ATV

Just purchased the aTV Flash today. Installation was straightforward, HOWEVER every time I navigate to the Media menu, it shuts down my ATV. Sometimes I get as far as selecting one of menu items, but usually, just selecting the menu itself is enough to make the ATV spit the dummy and restart.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this.

Given the issues I installed the XBMC addon and now have that playing all the files connected to my AEBS…

I had the same issue and I solved it by restoring to apple default rejailbreaking with seasonpass and reinstalling atv black.

hope this helps?

Thanks, I had a feeling that would be one of the answers! I’ll hold off for 24 hours to see if anyone suggests anthing else then I’ll give it a go.

I have the same issue

For me, it’s when I try to navigate on my time capsule.

So we can better find out what’s going on please submit a bug report as described here.

Sorry for the trouble.

Can someone from firecore please let me know if you have seen any of the logs posted and if you have any ideas about this bug?

Thanks

OK as suggested by Badmannie, I re-jailbroke the ATV, re-installed aTV Flash and tried again. The good news is that I can now select the Media menu and items from it. The bad news is that on selecting one title, the aTV shut down again (I submit a diagnostic report each time this happens). I was then able to return to the Media menu, select the same title and this time no crash. Interesting. Was the grab for metadata part of the issue?

Question for other users who have had this issue. Do you have large a large catalogue of movies/tv shows? (I do)

I only have 7 movies in the file that I am navigating too but do have my own photos( roughly 30 jpegs) as a screensaver so it’s possible that the memory in the atv2 just cant cope with this amount of info?

This was what I was wondering, I have put every dvd I have ever bought onto disc (took months), so have hundreds of movies and the same with TV shows. So I was questioning if the metadata is updated and stored as I scroll through the list…that could end up being a fair amount of data…I guess someone at Firecore will let us know…

Here in Holland, same problem which was not present in previous versions .

Still I am very happy with player 0.6 since it is light, fast and has resolved the subtitle issue from the previous release. 

Since the crash from the media menu only occurs when media data fetch is slow I think these things are related. Some movies on my file server are more prone to this issue than others. I am still investigating the similarities between affected movies and the differences with unaffected ones.

Another issue that may be related is that a favorite link in the media menu is not always recognized as the original it refers to. ATV flash than states that the server is not online. I can revolve this issue by accessing the particular folder directly via the my files menu or my testing the connection with the ATF server. This issue never appeared in previous versions.

regards and thanks to the ATV development team

Good to know. So it seems that the volume of media is not the issue, but particular files. I have gone back and gone through a fair list of films and it does seem to only happen on specific titles, and it is repeatable, I log a report on the ATV back to firecore, so I hope with the accumulated data they have a better idea what the comonalities are with these particular files…as I can’t find one.

Just to follow-up. We’ve tracked down a number of issues that can cause crashes like this, and the fixes will be included in this week’s release.

I have the same issue, if not it hangs for ages a good 5 minutes before displaying an error or rebooting. 0.6 was fine, looks like I may have to re-jailbreak.

After updating to 0.7 (“This week’s release”) I cannot click on either “My Files” or “Setings” under the Media tab without the ATV2 freezing for about 4-5 minutes, then crashing/restarting the ATV2. Please fix! I have no way to watch my movies.

I am going to post this in a couple places hoping that it will solve many issues for a bunch of people. If Media Player keeps restarting ATV2 download the newest SeasonPass, install by clicking the build IPSW. DO NOT SHIFT CLICK, OR OPTION CLICK to install a copy you already have downloaded of the IOS Firmware. I did this to save time from having to download it again. Let SeasonPass download the firmware and install. This should hopefully fix your issues. I am an experienced jail breaker and have spent countless hours trying to get 0.7 to work. This worked for me.

We’ve seen this issue when running an older version of AppleTV software. Can you double-check the version you are running (Settings –> General –> About).

Thanks - do you recall the version of AppleTV software you were previously running?

Apple TV Software: 4.2.2 (2203). Is there a newer version than this that’s jailbreakable?

I was originally on 4.2.1 (IOS 4.3) and 0.6 media player. I had issues with DTS and AC3, but everything else worked. I upgraded to MP 0.7 and had the crashes that everyone is having. I did a clean install and jailbreak with the latest SeasonPass, but I option clicked the build IPSW and salected a version of 4.2.1 I had already downloaded to save time. Still had all the issues. Then I did another clean install and jailbreak with SeasonPass only this time I let it download the firmware 4.2.2. Now everything works great. 

I believe the key here is jail breaking with the current SeasonPass onto 4.2.2 like you said and also not using Tiny Umbrella during this process.

Everything you said is the same for me except that I’ve been on 4.2.2 all along. All the same Media menu problems.

I’m going to re-jailbreak in a few hours, but the instructions have me a little worried (http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605):

“Step 3: The latest AppleTV software will be downloaded and used to create a custom ‘jailbroken’ software file.”

Which makes me think it will download 4.3 which this version of Seas0nPass won’t jailbreak. Am I to understand that Step 3 means to say that it will download the latest jailbreakable version (i.e. 4.2.2)?