50 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  July 22, 2011 - 8:25pm
kieranc.1890's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
Kudos: 0

Hi all,

I may have read that there is  bug in beat6 that does not allow for the movie tiles / metadata to SAVE, eg, it fetches each time you switch the ATV on.

This isn't really practical for me....

I note that this feature hasn't really been addressed in  the new version of media player. Is this going to be a feature in the final version? Just wondering -as everyone loves meta data, but fetching it every time, kinda defeats the purpose i suppose?

 

Thanks

 

K

 

 

  July 23, 2011 - 8:53am
james's picture
Staff
Online
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,669
Kudos: 1,129

Metadata fetching was slightly improved in this week's release, and saved metadata will now be retained after a restart.

On a related note, we're in the process of switching metadata providers so metadata fetching should be much improved in the next version.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

  July 28, 2011 - 2:54am (Reply to #2)
duxzero's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Kudos: 0
  james wrote:

Metadata fetching was slightly improved in this week's release, and saved metadata will now be retained after a restart.

On a related note, we're in the process of switching metadata providers so metadata fetching should be much improved in the next version.

 

I hope it actually fetches the right metadata in the next release. The way it is now, the fetching algorithm you are using is correct in maybe 20% of the cases. I have lots of mkv files where the filenames are completely clear and stripped from text that the fetcher may find confusing, but still, the metadata results are so far off from what the filename says that I don't really understand how you guys have coded this algorithm. I could send you examples if that helps.

  July 29, 2011 - 10:00am (Reply to #3)
james's picture
Staff
Online
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,669
Kudos: 1,129
  duxzero wrote:

 

I hope it actually fetches the right metadata in the next release. The way it is now, the fetching algorithm you are using is correct in maybe 20% of the cases. I have lots of mkv files where the filenames are completely clear and stripped from text that the fetcher may find confusing, but still, the metadata results are so far off from what the filename says that I don't really understand how you guys have coded this algorithm. I could send you examples if that helps.

In the current version (and most likely the next version) Media Player uses the embedded title tag of the movie itself. Only if no title tag is present will the actual filename be used.

Not all MKV files have title tags, but some do. Do you know if yours have this tag? Can you provide an example a filename that is showing incorrect metadata?

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

  July 29, 2011 - 10:57am (Reply to #4)
duxzero's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Kudos: 0
  james wrote:

Can you provide an example a filename that is showing incorrect metadata?

ATV Black - beta 6 (w/latest mediaplayer installed)

ATV firmware 4.2.2 - jailbroaken with latest Seas0npass

Fully updated packages from all standard repos (apt-get update / apt-get upgrade)

Using AFP share.

 

After the last MP update, Lowtide crashes and restarts very often now while metadata fetching is in progress.

 

Anyway, examples of wrong metadata getting fetched - filename:

Breaking.Bad.S02E01.720p.HDTV.X264.mkv

this is detected as "Lost - The survivors of a plane crash...."

same thing happens with the rest of the episodes in that season too.

Dexter S01E01 - Dexter.avi

is detected as "Firefly - Five hundred years in the future..."

The.Office.S01E01.Pilot.avi

is detected as "Prototype - Steven Karp is entering his Freshmen year..."

 

I could basically go on and on here, lots of files are so wrongly tagged by your metadata fetcher that I don't know how or why. If it would be incorrectly tagged because of a words in the filename being similar to what is fetched, I would understand that there would be some minor issues, but this is so wrong that it shouldn't really be possible.

It's almost like you have a random() function your metadata fetcher class. Wink

 

BTW: I guess the metadata is stored in the ATV? If so, could you add a "flush all metadata" option in settings? And could you do it so that if the AFP share is R/W enabled, that metadata in eg. mkv files is written to the filetag itself? (saving storage space on the ATV)

Maybe even you could  write your own metadata file format (one file containing pic, txt in xml etc) that can be optionally stored at the AFP share where the current file is, with the same filename + fcm (firecore meta) extension?

 

Other than that, you have a great product! Smile

  July 29, 2011 - 11:04am (Reply to #5)
james's picture
Staff
Online
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,669
Kudos: 1,129
  duxzero wrote:

ATV Black - beta 6 (w/latest mediaplayer installed)

ATV firmware 4.2.2 - jailbroaken with latest Seas0npass

Fully updated packages from all standard repos (apt-get update / apt-get upgrade)

Using AFP share.

 

After the last MP update, Lowtide crashes and restarts very often now while metadata fetching is in progress.

 

Anyway, examples of wrong metadata getting fetched - filename:

Breaking.Bad.S02E01.720p.HDTV.X264.mkv

this is detected as "Lost - The survivors of a plane crash...."

same thing happens with the rest of the episodes in that season too.

Dexter S01E01 - Dexter.avi

is detected as "Firefly - Five hundred years in the future..."

The.Office.S01E01.Pilot.avi

is detected as "Prototype - Steven Karp is entering his Freshmen year..."

 

I could basically go on and on here, lots of files are so wrongly tagged by your metadata fetcher that I don't know how or why. If it would be incorrectly tagged because of a words in the filename being similar to what is fetched, I would understand that there would be some minor issues, but this is so wrong that it shouldn't really be possible.

It's almost like you have a random() function your metadata fetcher class. Wink

 

BTW: I guess the metadata is stored in the ATV? If so, could you add a "flush all metadata" option in settings? And could you do it so that if the AFP share is R/W enabled, that metadata in eg. mkv files is written to the filetag itself? (saving storage space on the ATV)

Maybe even you could  write your own metadata file format (one file containing pic, txt in xml etc) that can be optionally stored at the AFP share where the current file is, with the same filename + fcm (firecore meta) extension?

 

Other than that, you have a great product! Smile

Ok, currently TV Show metadata is not supported, so what's happening is MP is trying to locate Movies that match your TV Shows (which obviously won't end well).

Support for TV Show metadata is in the queue, and will be available soon.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

  July 29, 2011 - 2:56pm
Kimbote's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
Kudos: 0

What software would you recommend for creating, modifying, and review MKV container files?

  August 1, 2011 - 9:45am (Reply to #7)
james's picture
Staff
Online
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,669
Kudos: 1,129
  Kimbote wrote:

What software would you recommend for creating, modifying, and review MKV container files?

There are a few, but for MKV files try http://themetabrowser.com/

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

  August 4, 2011 - 10:32am
chrisw.9087's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
Kudos: 0

I am having problems when it fetches some of the metadata, it crashes.  All my files are avi for the most part.  Is there something I need to do?

 

Thanks

  August 4, 2011 - 10:34am (Reply to #9)
james's picture
Staff
Online
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,669
Kudos: 1,129
  chrisw.9087 wrote:

I am having problems when it fetches some of the metadata, it crashes.  All my files are avi for the most part.  Is there something I need to do?

 

Thanks

Nope, nothing you can do at the moment. Metadata fetching will be greatly improved in the next verison.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

  August 5, 2011 - 1:05pm
McPhizzle's picture
Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 2
Kudos: 0

I'm just wondering if there will be an option to just scrape local metadata. I have over 1000 movies and 135 tv shows, all with .nfo files, and hand picked (and created) posters, fanart, and banners. When I first tried XBMC I had a problem where it would scrape everything all over again, sometimes with the wrong show, and most of the time with artwork that wasn't as good as the ones I have stored locally.

XBMC is slow though, and doesn't seem to be getting any better, even with the unofficial semi-nightlies. Plex is alright, but the web based interface for the server sucks on Windows, so this media player seems to be my best bet, as long as I can scrape my own files. This will be a definite purchase for me, even if I hear this feature is on a to do list Smile

 

  August 5, 2011 - 1:11pm (Reply to #11)
james's picture
Staff
Online
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,669
Kudos: 1,129
  McPhizzle wrote:

I'm just wondering if there will be an option to just scrape local metadata. I have over 1000 movies and 135 tv shows, all with .nfo files, and hand picked (and created) posters, fanart, and banners. When I first tried XBMC I had a problem where it would scrape everything all over again, sometimes with the wrong show, and most of the time with artwork that wasn't as good as the ones I have stored locally.

XBMC is slow though, and doesn't seem to be getting any better, even with the unofficial semi-nightlies. Plex is alright, but the web based interface for the server sucks on Windows, so this media player seems to be my best bet, as long as I can scrape my own files. This will be a definite purchase for me, even if I hear this feature is on a to do list Smile

 

Yes, allowing local files/artwork to override/prevent metadata from being downloaded is something we're also working on.

Both are close to being done, so they may make it into next week's version.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

  August 5, 2011 - 1:17pm
McPhizzle's picture
Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 2
Kudos: 0

Wow, you guys are great! From what I hear about the updates made to the media player (along with other things like the browser), this really seems like it's worth the money!

  August 5, 2011 - 1:19pm (Reply to #13)
james's picture
Staff
Online
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,669
Kudos: 1,129
  McPhizzle wrote:

Wow, you guys are great! From what I hear about the updates made to the media player (along with other things like the browser), this really seems like it's worth the money!

Thanks. Next week's very is pretty solid, and should help fill quite a few feature gaps (chapers, subtitles, etc...). :)

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

  August 9, 2011 - 7:36am
andreasu.0860's picture
Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 71
Kudos: 1

Hey,

Are metadata for tv shows also included in the next version ?

  August 17, 2011 - 6:41am
steve.waite's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 126
Kudos: 17

It would appear, for me at least, each time I start Media Player the Metadata is re-downloaded even though I know it's is on the Apple TV under (/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/Media). It takes longer to show Movie info then the first fetch did. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

Steve

  August 17, 2011 - 8:01am (Reply to #16)
klemme's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6
Kudos: 0
  stevew.9929 wrote:

It would appear, for me at least, each time I start Media Player the Metadata is re-downloaded even though I know it's is on the Apple TV under (/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/Media). It takes longer to show Movie info then the first fetch did. Anyone else having this issue? Thanks Steve

I'm having exactly the same issue!    

  August 17, 2011 - 8:50am (Reply to #17)
james's picture
Staff
Online
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,669
Kudos: 1,129
  stevew.9929 wrote:

It would appear, for me at least, each time I start Media Player the Metadata is re-downloaded even though I know it's is on the Apple TV under (/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/Media). It takes longer to show Movie info then the first fetch did. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

Steve

We're seeing that here with some files as well. Hoping to have it fixed soon.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

  August 17, 2011 - 8:56am (Reply to #18)
steve.waite's picture
Beta Tester
Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 126
Kudos: 17
  james wrote:

We're seeing that here with some files as well. Hoping to have it fixed soon.

Thanks, Media Player is pretty slick.

  August 20, 2011 - 11:55pm
rndrummond's picture
Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 18
Kudos: 0

I gather metadata is fetched from themoviedb.org

It works 99% of the time but I have a few movies named correctly as per themoviedb.org but they still show incorrect or missing metadata.  Could someone else give these filenames a go or advise any name change to get them to work please

 

The American (2010).avi

Inception (2010).avi

  August 24, 2011 - 2:38am (Reply to #20)
jamest.8685's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 58
Kudos: 1
  james wrote:

Metadata fetching was slightly improved in this week's release, and saved metadata will now be retained after a restart.

On a related note, we're in the process of switching metadata providers so metadata fetching should be much improved in the next version.

Okay - how do we note the WRONG metadata for a DVD? I have a dvd of the 1981 cult french film "Diva" that is being recognized as the 2008 italian movie "Il Divo". Close but no cigar…

Is there a provider we can report it to? 

  August 24, 2011 - 4:03am (Reply to #21)
rndrummond's picture
Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 18
Kudos: 0
  jamest.8685 wrote:

Okay - how do we note the WRONG metadata for a DVD? I have a dvd of the 1981 cult french film "Diva" that is being recognized as the 2008 italian movie "Il Divo". Close but no cigar…

Is there a provider we can report it to? 

Have you tried renaming the file as:
Diva (1981)
I usually find that adding the year fixes most metadata errors.

  August 24, 2011 - 10:19am (Reply to #22)
jamest.8685's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 58
Kudos: 1
  rndrummond wrote:

Have you tried renaming the file as:
Diva (1981)
I usually find that adding the year fixes most metadata errors.

Nope - that didn't do anything aside from delink it from the metadata source. Now it just shows a framegrab and "No Description". 

  August 24, 2011 - 10:01pm
spovich's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
Kudos: 0

So, just wanting clarification...

Does the latest media player (0.7.1) prefer local metadata in the MP4 file over metadata fetched from the internet?  Seems like sometimes local metadata is ignored.  What is the minimum amount of local metadata required for that to be used over internet metadata?  Thanks!

  August 25, 2011 - 2:18am (Reply to #24)
jamest.8685's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 58
Kudos: 1
  spovich wrote:

So, just wanting clarification...

Does the latest media player (0.7.1) prefer local metadata in the MP4 file over metadata fetched from the internet?  Seems like sometimes local metadata is ignored.  What is the minimum amount of local metadata required for that to be used over internet metadata?  Thanks!

Interesting - how would I set local metadata? From what I'm seeing, it's snagging the title and file length, then grabbing a screenshot a few minutes for the preview. Nothing discrete here. 

  August 25, 2011 - 9:56am (Reply to #25)
spovich's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
Kudos: 0
  jamest.8685 wrote:

Interesting - how would I set local metadata? From what I'm seeing, it's snagging the title and file length, then grabbing a screenshot a few minutes for the preview. Nothing discrete here. 

I use Meta-X on the Mac for adding metadata.  Works great.  http://www.kerstetter.net/index.php/projects/s...

  September 2, 2011 - 1:14pm
Ed Brenner's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 40
Kudos: 0

I get the wrong metadata for one Video_TS/VOB file - The Cell. It comes up as Cellular.?.

  October 10, 2011 - 8:12am
Ntr0s's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Kudos: 0

I'm unable to play MP3's with Media Player 0.9.  I can see all MP3 files (SMB network share) but when I select one mp3 to play, the metadata fetching process starts and skips through all mp3 files in the folder.  Fetching eventually stops, but we still cannot play any mp3 files.

Disabling Fetch Metadata does not solve the problem.

Can anyone point me to a log file location for debugging and a link to submit a bug report?

Thanks.

  October 10, 2011 - 8:46am (Reply to #28)
james's picture
Staff
Online
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,669
Kudos: 1,129
  Ntr0s wrote:

I'm unable to play MP3's with Media Player 0.9.  I can see all MP3 files (SMB network share) but when I select one mp3 to play, the metadata fetching process starts and skips through all mp3 files in the folder.  Fetching eventually stops, but we still cannot play any mp3 files.

Disabling Fetch Metadata does not solve the problem.

Can anyone point me to a log file location for debugging and a link to submit a bug report?

Thanks.

What kind of device are you streaming from?

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

  October 10, 2011 - 12:16pm
andreasu.0860's picture
Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 71
Kudos: 1

Are you planning to add a libary view for tv shows like in xbmc ? ( season cover etc.)

  October 10, 2011 - 1:37pm
Ntr0s's picture
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Kudos: 0

James,

I'm connecting from AppleTV 2 to a Linux server over SMB.  The filesystem on the Linux server is Ext3, running Ubuntu 10.10.

Thanks for your quick response.

B.