43 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  August 15, 2011 - 6:59am
steveno.7582's picture
Kudos: 0

Hi All

Going to purchase a NAS drive to store all my media on soon, but before I do that are there any recommendations or any makes I should stay away from?

Chheers

Steve

August 15, 2011 - 8:56am
denisvr's picture

I'm using the Synology DS210J 2x 2TB and it works perfectly with the apple tv2

August 16, 2011 - 2:25pm
GoPronto's picture

Qnap, Qnap or Qnap Smile

August 17, 2011 - 11:56am (Reply to #3)
timonv.7103's picture
  denisvr wrote:

I'm using the Synology DS210J 2x 2TB and it works perfectly with the apple tv2

Do you use smb or afp? If its afp can you tell me how you got that working? Thanks

August 17, 2011 - 1:37pm
thejinx0r's picture

I built my own NAS and installed Unraid on it. It's really simple to use Smile And fast.

August 17, 2011 - 1:43pm (Reply to #5)
denisvr's picture
  timonv.7103 wrote:

Do you use smb or afp? If its afp can you tell me how you got that working? Thanks

i'm using SMB on my sinology DS210J and Of course it's connected to an Apple Airport Extreme :) 

August 18, 2011 - 8:55am
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 651

If you already own an Airport Extreme you can attach an external drive to it. Boom! Instant AFP/SMB compatible NAS.

If you want something more dedicated, the suggestions mentioned above are excellent choices as well.

Infuse 5.7 with our all-new Plex integration is now available

August 18, 2011 - 8:58am
denisvr's picture

Just checked and saw that i've got XMBC working with smb and media player with afp Wink

August 19, 2011 - 1:26am
matsf.8381's picture

I use a Synology DS211J with 2x Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD204UI (2TB). Works like a charm.

Single SMB share, with dedicated subdirectories for different kind of media.

August 19, 2011 - 7:34am (Reply to #9)
steveno.7582's picture
  james wrote:

If you already own an Airport Extreme you can attach an external drive to it. Boom! Instant AFP/SMB compatible NAS.

If you want something more dedicated, the suggestions mentioned above are excellent choices as well.

I have an airport extreme, and tried using an external hard drive, but for some reason only a few of my movies will play, and they are very slow to load, even stopping halfway through a movie, so thought it would run better with a NAS hard drive.

August 22, 2011 - 9:35am
joes.8253's picture

I have a Western Digital MyBook Live 3TB.  I have about 300 movies on it right now.  I have two separate aTV2's (bedroom and living room.)  Both are connected via SMB and work perfectly.  I love the email notifications the NAS sends me whenever there's a software upgrade available or the drive has rebooted.  FYI, I live in a part of town where we seem to lose electricity quite often for short bursts.  Since I bought a battery backup about a month ago, the reboots have stopped.  The best part about the NAS is the built-in ability to stream my media files from my iOS devices remotely.

August 22, 2011 - 10:29am
lbellet's picture

I own a ReadyNas Pro Pioneer Edition, modded with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 instead of a Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 and 4 Gigs RAM.

Best NAS I ever tried ;-). I would buy another if needed (but 6x3TB are enough for me for now)

With it, I am able to stream everything with my ATV2.

August 22, 2011 - 11:05am
nic.wise's picture

I have a drobo FS, but I wouldn't consider it a cheap or really the best overall option. I need the ease of use and redundancy over raw speed.

works fine with ATV2Black tho!

August 22, 2011 - 2:58pm (Reply to #13)
timothyb.7788's picture
  joes.8253 wrote:

I have a Western Digital MyBook Live 3TB.  I have about 300 movies on it right now.  I have two separate aTV2's (bedroom and living room.)  Both are connected via SMB and work perfectly.  I love the email notifications the NAS sends me whenever there's a software upgrade available or the drive has rebooted.  FYI, I live in a part of town where we seem to lose electricity quite often for short bursts.  Since I bought a battery backup about a month ago, the reboots have stopped.  The best part about the NAS is the built-in ability to stream my media files from my iOS devices remotely.

I'm glad to hear the WD MyBook Live works well with aTV Flash, because I just ordered one to replace my Iomega Home Media Network drive since Iomega is apparently never going to release an update to support Mac OS X Lion for that product. I will never buy another Iomega product again.

August 22, 2011 - 4:00pm
tomme12's picture

I had a 1TB WD drive and it was great...until is pooped the bed.   Man, lost all my movies on it.   Im trying a buffalo Linklink station with ATV 2 and it works great.  Found everything right away, wireless stream no issue.  My WD live worked great as well.  but I guess they have a notrious problem for crapping out.  I do recommend either mirror drive or another NAS drive for backup.    I think even the mirror drive might have issues if the Linux gets corrupted, copies itself over and now you have to figure out how to rescue it. (like the WD drive).   These drives all have some sort of uPNP server running which has pros/cons I guess.

August 23, 2011 - 9:48pm
@ndy's picture

Any recommendations on a 4 bay NAS with Lion compatibility?  I haven't made the just yet, but will be as soon as Avid gets Pro Tools out of Beta!  I did try the USB drive option on my Airport Extreme and it was fine for .m4v files specifically Handbraked for the AppleTV 2, but it had issues with .mkv files that had some size!  

August 24, 2011 - 6:31am (Reply to #16)
lbellet's picture
  @ndy wrote:

Any recommendations on a 4 bay NAS with Lion compatibility?  I haven't made the just yet, but will be as soon as Avid gets Pro Tools out of Beta!  I did try the USB drive option on my Airport Extreme and it was fine for .m4v files specifically Handbraked for the AppleTV 2, but it had issues with .mkv files that had some size!  

I would recommand a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4. I had a few Netgear NAS in my house, and now I just keep the ReadyNAS PRO Pioneer Edition (6bays) and it's amazing.

August 25, 2011 - 11:02pm
ericj's picture

Everything streams nicely from my Synology DS1511+. I highly recommend it. Fast, reliable and expandable to 45TB Smile

August 26, 2011 - 7:29am
davidc18's picture

I am using a drobo fs with no issues. It does seem a bit slow when transferring files to it but there are no issues with streaming out to multiple devices.

August 28, 2011 - 1:23pm
marct.7639's picture

This weekend I have installed the QNAP 4drive NAS TS412 with 4 WD 1 TB disks in RAID6 config. It is very mac friendly and offers (among a lot of the other stuff) an itunes server. Works fine with aTV flash.  Smile

August 31, 2011 - 12:11am
jiaks's picture

i'm using a ds211 http://www.nasreview.org/nas/Synology-DS211 and pretty happy with it

August 31, 2011 - 5:47am (Reply to #21)
ivanc.5163's picture
  james wrote:

Are there any posts on how to set this up?  Tried searching but couldnt find anything...

September 3, 2011 - 2:49pm (Reply to #22)
@ndy's picture
  ivanc.5163 wrote:

Are there any posts on how to set this up?  Tried searching but couldnt find anything...

I just plugged in a USB drive and it showed up in my network.  :)

I have been leaning towards a QNAP ts-459U-SP+ for its features and speed.  I like that it is dual core and has plenty of RAM.  Has anyone heard anything negative about this unit?  The redundant power supply  version seems like overkill for personal use or is it?

September 7, 2011 - 4:41pm
@ndy's picture

Qnap users, are you connecting over AFP or SMB?  I read over on the Qnap forums that AFP is not working properly on aTV Flash.

September 8, 2011 - 11:54am (Reply to #24)
marct.7639's picture
  @ndy wrote:

Qnap users, are you connecting over AFP or SMB?  I read over on the Qnap forums that AFP is not working properly on aTV Flash.

@ndy, I am afraid you are right. I miss the skills to let  my ATV flash recognize the AFP of my QNAP NAS. The AFP does work for my mac, not for ATV flsh. Hence I use SMB on the NAs and AFP on the MAC.

I hope QNAP will repair this

good luck Marc

September 8, 2011 - 9:52pm
@ndy's picture

Thanks Marc for confirmation.  :)  I hope they update 3.5 soon!

September 20, 2011 - 6:51pm
@ndy's picture

I just got the Qnap ts-459U-SP+ and I am trying to connect to it via smb and having trouble.  My NAS automatically shows up as a AFP share and not as SMB.  I try to add it manually and it gives me a time out error(60).  Any tips?  I am overlooking something.    Blush

September 20, 2011 - 7:14pm
@ndy's picture

I figured it out!  I was putting server name instead of ip address. 

November 17, 2011 - 2:56pm
jeamland's picture

Synology DS509+

Working with AFP no problems (had to upgrade to beta firmware for afp updates req'd for time machine in Lion.  that might not be beta any more, actually: been working so well I haven't paid attention to see if it was released)

I would HIGHLY recommend ANY Synology product because the software is awesome.  The 5 bay RAID units are definitely on the high end, but WELL worth the money, IMO.

November 18, 2011 - 4:21pm
dayvidi.8352's picture

I'm using the Lacie 5big raid and it's spectacular.

A bit pricey, but very pro and stable.

November 18, 2011 - 11:48pm
Fechado's picture

I'm using the Synology DS210+ working with AFP and its fast and reliable. Highly recommend it.