24 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  October 28, 2011 - 11:52am
GoPronto's picture
Kudos: 0

I like the idea , i like the look of it but i carnt wait 20 minutes to load all the covers are each time i want to view a film ..   Nice try guys but i think the hardware is not up to it.  

October 28, 2011 - 12:14pm
james's picture
Staff
Kudos: 1,114

It will take a bit longer to display covers for new content, as metadata and artwork need to be downloaded from the internet.

However, once that content is cached, loading grid view won't take more than a few seconds. If it's taking longer than that please let us know.

Infuse 6 for iOS and Apple TV is now available!

October 28, 2011 - 6:52pm
sdbonez's picture

All of my m4v files have coverart within them (courtesy of metax) - One idea would simply be to read this out of the file if it exists and only make the fanart data call if it doesn't.  Right now, if it can't find the fanart (naming conventions with season/episode information messes it up, for instance), then it just shows the first frame snippet which always looks horrible.  Combine that with the caching and you'll have a winner!

Edit: BTW, I didn't see this: http://support.firecore.com/entries/20557283-m... - but I hate having jpg clutter with video files when MetaX makes things so neat.  It works really well when i ingest into itunes and share that way (playing via 'Computer' on the atv2) - just wished this also worked in Media Player.

October 29, 2011 - 7:02am (Reply to #3)
andyloc1@gmail.com's picture
  sdbonez wrote:

All of my m4v files have coverart within them One idea would simply be to read this out of the file if it exists and only make the fanart data call if it doesn't.  Right now, if it can't find the fanart (naming conventions with season/episode information messes it up, for instance), then it just shows the first frame snippet which always looks horrible.  Combine that with the caching and you'll have a winner!.

agree totally. All my files have embedded artwork in, I would rather them use this, but if not, don't override it with a frame of the movie, when it has artwork anyway. Fix this and grid view is great

keep up the good work

cheers

October 30, 2011 - 2:37pm
GoPronto's picture

Still issues with the Grid view , will only update the covers that are displayes takes 32 seconds to display the first page of 21  covers, if i exit the grid view and reenter the grid view still takes 32 seconds to display covers.   Plus it take the same amout of time for each 21 covers  , so to view all my covers takes more than 20 minutes..   Have i missed somthing.   My ATV is on a wired ethernet connection

October 31, 2011 - 10:57am (Reply to #5)
james's picture
Staff
  GoPronto wrote:

Still issues with the Grid view , will only update the covers that are displayes takes 32 seconds to display the first page of 21  covers, if i exit the grid view and reenter the grid view still takes 32 seconds to display covers.   Plus it take the same amout of time for each 21 covers  , so to view all my covers takes more than 20 minutes..   Have i missed somthing.   My ATV is on a wired ethernet connection

Is Media Player showing actual movie covers for your files or generated thumbnails? Which version of AppleTV software are you using?

For example here when loading a folder that contains 177 movies (cover art has been previously fetched) the first page loads in about 3 seconds. Scrolling down and loading other covers takes about the same amount of time.

October 31, 2011 - 1:12pm
GoPronto's picture

Apple TV  ios 4.3(2557)

Maintenance  0.8 

Media player 0.9.3-214613

October 31, 2011 - 5:21pm
K1215H's picture

Mine too talks about 21 Seconds per page in average.

Even after caching, once I exit media player and re-enter it repeats the same time length.

November 1, 2011 - 4:04am (Reply to #8)
TKMAXX's picture
  K1215H wrote:

Mine too talks about 21 Seconds per page in average. Even after caching, once I exit media player and re-enter it repeats the same time length.

I would say mine is about the same and is just about acceptable. Its as though its not caching.

Thanks for the help!

TKMAXX

November 1, 2011 - 10:51am
sdbonez's picture

I noticed an out-of-memory error at one point after coming out of Media Player on mine - wondering whether it has something to do with really large directories where it's running out of space to cache coverart and hence you're getting the first-time cache-seeding experience each time.

What's the sample directory size being used for testing?  or better, is there a limit where it gets dodgy?

November 7, 2011 - 8:37am
jstembridge's picture

Just to add another voice here each page takes 9-10s to display cover art. Not as bad as for others but still too long to make the grid view a practical alternative.

November 7, 2011 - 11:19am (Reply to #11)
steve.waite's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 17
  jstembridge wrote:

Just to add another voice here each page takes 9-10s to display cover art. Not as bad as for others but still too long to make the grid view a practical alternative.

Same here, on the other hand, TV Shows with folder.jpg used it's a couple of seconds at the most.

Steve

November 7, 2011 - 11:20am
GoPronto's picture

I have now done all 3 of my ATV2's and there all the same ,, James any ideas?

November 7, 2011 - 1:29pm
sdbonez's picture

I put in a formal feature request for Grid View to read in embedded cover art here if anyone wants to weigh-in/vote for it.  http://forum.firecore.com/topic/5818

November 8, 2011 - 4:03am
TKMAXX's picture

Hi James,

If ours is taking longer than the 3 seconds yours is taking what are we doing wrong?

Dont want to move away from grid to list as this view is absolulty fantastic.

Thanks for the help!

TKMAXX

November 8, 2011 - 8:40am
james's picture
Staff

The upcoming version will have a few efficiency improvements that should slightly improve loading times of metadata and cover art.

November 8, 2011 - 8:45am
steve.waite's picture
Beta Tester

James, how do you have your Movies folder set up? Are all movies in the folder or do you use individual folder for each movie and a .jpg with the movie name?

Thanks 

Steve

November 8, 2011 - 8:48am (Reply to #17)
james's picture
Staff
  stevew.9929 wrote:

James, how do you have your Movies folder set up? Are all movies in the folder or do you use individual folder for each movie and a .jpg with the movie name?

Thanks 

Steve

The current version of Media Player does best to have all movies in a shared folder (with the exception of VIDEO_TS files with will have their own dedicated folder).

That said, we're finding a lot of people like to have each movie in it's own folder (along with cover art, .srt files, etc...) so we're planning to make some adjustments to MP to accommodate these organization structures.

November 8, 2011 - 8:48am (Reply to #18)
TKMAXX's picture
  james wrote:

The upcoming version will have a few efficiency improvements that should slightly improve loading times of metadata and cover art.

Thanks James, but it doesnt sound like we need to slightly improve so I'm wondering if we are doing something wrong in our set up?

Thanks for the help!

TKMAXX

November 8, 2011 - 8:50am (Reply to #19)
james's picture
Staff
  TKMAXX wrote:

Thanks James, but it doesnt sound like we need to slightly improve so I'm wondering if we are doing something wrong in our set up?

How long is your setup taking to load a full page of cover art? Are all files showing cover art, or are you seeing some grayed out movie tickets?

November 8, 2011 - 8:54am
TKMAXX's picture

anywhere between 10 seconds to 30 ish I would say. Some show instantly, some dont, some stay 'grey' as you say but even if I get all to show, I then back up all the info to the cloud, next time I turn it on and go to use it again its back to square one. Its like its not holding it in chache and loading 'fresh' everytime so was wondering if I'm just doing something wrong.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the help!

TKMAXX

November 8, 2011 - 9:06am (Reply to #21)
james's picture
Staff
  TKMAXX wrote:

anywhere between 10 seconds to 30 ish I would say. Some show instantly, some dont, some stay 'grey' as you say but even if I get all to show, I then back up all the info to the cloud, next time I turn it on and go to use it again its back to square one. Its like its not holding it in chache and loading 'fresh' everytime so was wondering if I'm just doing something wrong.

Keep up the great work!

Ok, well the gray ticket items are probably causing a large part of the slowdown for you. These are files that don't have cover art available, and for whatever reason MP is unable to generate a thumbnail. In the current version, MP will try and refetch or generate a thumbnail for these files each time grid view is loaded. This causes the rest of the loading process to wait until this file is done (this can be up to 5-8 seconds) per file. In the next version we're working to have these files marked as not available, so they will be skipped when grid view is loaded. You will still be able to attempt to reload cover art for these files by using option found in the popup menu.

November 8, 2011 - 9:09am (Reply to #22)
steve.waite's picture
Beta Tester
  james wrote:

How long is your setup taking to load a full page of cover art? Are all files showing cover art, or are you seeing some grayed out movie tickets?

Mine takes 9 ish seconds, about 30 second for initial run. All files have cover art.

One thing I noticed, in List View, after initial run and all meta has been pulled in, each time I come back to the movies folder (all movies in this folder) it scans even if there has been nothing added to the folder. With TV Shows, it only scans if i add a new show to the folder.

So, I conclude with my setup that all movies are not being cached or for some movies it is re-checking to see if the meta I have is right, I don't know but something isn't right.

Steve

November 8, 2011 - 10:00am (Reply to #23)
K1215H's picture
  stevew.9929 wrote:

Mine takes 9 ish seconds, about 30 second for initial run. All files have cover art.

One thing I noticed, in List View, after initial run and all meta has been pulled in, each time I come back to the movies folder (all movies in this folder) it scans even if there has been nothing added to the folder. With TV Shows, it only scans if i add a new show to the folder.

So, I conclude with my setup that all movies are not being cached or for some movies it is re-checking to see if the meta I have is right, I don't know but something isn't right.

Steve

I agree, even in list view it will re scan every time seeming that nothin is being cached. I presume this is the reason why in grid view it takes as long each time it is loaded.