41 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  November 22, 2011 - 5:03pm
alessandro.vassallo's picture
Kudos: 0

Hallo.

I just installed aTV Flash (black) 1.0 and all is ok (jailbreak with Seas0nPass), with one exception:

• I configured a SMB share, using an usb pen attached to my belkin n+ wireless router
  • the connection test was ok
  • when I try to access to the share I can select the volume corresponding to the usb pen...
  • ...but when I select it, I get the error in subject.

The SMB share is accessible from my macbook pro without any username and password. AFP shares are ok.

Please, can you help?

Thank you in advance.

Alessandro

November 23, 2011 - 7:56pm
cptfall's picture

I have the same issue

November 25, 2011 - 6:54am (Reply to #2)
vlavrentyev@gmail.com's picture

a little bit simular problem with timecapsule. access from appletv2 to timecapsule only by timecapsule_password, without any login. access from MBP without any problem, access from appletv2: permission denied. try to provide "jone_doe" as a login ?

November 25, 2011 - 11:19am
Parky07's picture

I have the same issue, trying to access share on windows 7. shared the specific folders as documented in the knowledge base. no joy!! this is very frustrating as I only bought apple tv to use the functionality of the watching my external movies  Frown

November 25, 2011 - 2:09pm
terryd.2712's picture

I'm in the same boat. I share all my folders the same way. I have a PC in the living which accesses the PC in the den just fine. ATV will access a few folders, but not all. Otherwise ATV Black has been awesome.

November 26, 2011 - 2:55am
kingyosh's picture

Has anyone found a fix for this?

November 26, 2011 - 7:45am
steven1976's picture

I have the same issue ... Can someone help us please..... 

Steven

November 26, 2011 - 6:45pm
terryd.2712's picture

If you've set up your shares as shown on the support page, but still have the error 13 message, try this...restart the ATV by holding the Menu button and the Down direction together to a count of about 5 and then let go. I can't take credit for this; found the info in another thread. It solved all my problems. My ATV can now access all my shared folders. Plus ISO files that previously did not play are now working in the media player. I love Flash!

November 26, 2011 - 7:07pm
kingyosh's picture

Sounds like it might work, i'll give it a try but will it break the jailbreak because its tethered?

November 26, 2011 - 8:32pm
terryd.2712's picture

I'm not sure about that since I'm still using the older Apple software and don't need to do a tethered break.

November 26, 2011 - 10:13pm
kingyosh's picture

I did the reset. It didn't break the jb but it still doesn't work. Just to add. The mac formatted files are accessible and so are the external hdd that are formatted with mac but the error only pops up on the windows hdd's which have all my stuff on them. 

November 28, 2011 - 5:20am
Parky07's picture

manged to move on a little further with this issue, I had to turn off the password function in the Homegroup config. I can now view my files on my external drive, However when I select the files I am still encountering the permission denied error. any help would be good.

December 4, 2011 - 11:05pm
Matt1977's picture

I'm having similar problems. Installed Black no problem, I share files from my Win7 box and, while the folders show up, I can't access files. Same permission error as above even though I have no passwords on my media files. Please help?

December 6, 2011 - 3:05am

the problem is still not solved.

any answer from official support?

thanx

December 7, 2011 - 4:53pm
alexo.3425's picture

I'm getting the same error as well; I just re-jailbroke (with Seas0nPass) my ATV2 and installed aTV Flash (black) 1.1 - added the Media Player; restarted and then added my SMB shares.  2 of 4 of them work (I have 4 connections: one connected through my router Linksys E3200 [NTFS], the other through my D-Link DNS-343 [NTFS],  one to my MacBook Pro [AFS] and the other to MyBookWorld [FAT32]).  The last two will work, but not the first two.  I wonder if it is something to do with SMB or NTFS formats.

Looking forward to a solution.

Thank you,

Alex

December 8, 2011 - 7:01am

I tried with new 1.1 version, but without success.

The AFP share from my macbook pro is ok.

The SMB share from my Belkin N+ is still not working, with the same permission error.

Is it possible to have an official answer on that?

Thank you.

Alessandro

December 8, 2011 - 8:55pm
Matt1977's picture

Still no go on 1.1. Can we please have some kind of official response to this problem?

December 8, 2011 - 9:32pm
Matt1977's picture

Okay, I solved the problem from my end. Here's what you need to do:

1. Right-click on the folder you want to share, select PROPERTIES (not Sharing/Share).
  2. Select Sharing tab, then the share button under the folder/network path.
  3. Under "Choose people to share with," create a name called "Everyone" and assign read/write privileges.
  4. REMOVE "Homegroup" as someone you want to share with. If you don't, you'll get an invalid argument error instead of a permission error.

That should do it! Repeat on all folders necessary. This is for connecting to shared file space on a Windows 7 box, by the way.

December 8, 2011 - 9:32pm
Matt1977's picture

Double post.

December 9, 2011 - 9:18am
steven1976's picture

Confirmed....!!! it works when set folder share for Everyone.... Thanks

Steven

December 9, 2011 - 12:22pm
Parky07's picture

Matt1977, you are a star  :). I can now connect to my external HDD & watch my films via a win7 SMB. Fantastic, many thanks

December 10, 2011 - 3:08pm
jeffreys.9428's picture

Frown

There should be n entire section in the setup about how to set up your computer to share with atv flash/apple tv

I found the limited info galling and spent over 3 hrs sharing and un-sharing directories, hard drive, changing passwords, eliminating usernames etc,(upstairs computer to downstairs tv no less) I didn't even find the these forums until to day.

I ended up dragging the film my wife and I wanted to watch to my public documents folder to watch it.  I still amgetting denied otherwise..

And you charged me 30$ for this?

December 11, 2011 - 8:18am
alexo.3425's picture

Firstly:  Thanks for the tip Matt1977, it seems like it has resolved the issue for most people... that's great!  Unfortunately though, these steps do not work for my setup.  The only way I can manage share on my NAS or network USB share is through a web interface.  I tried in Windows 7 as you mentioned; but due to it not being 'local files' or 'folders' I was not able to do as you mentioned.

Still:  VERY STRANGE how everything since the previous beta releases of ATVFlash (Black) was accessible on my NAS... no messing around was necessary - but with this build ver. 1.1 it doesn't seem to work on my SMB NAS share setup. I'm guessing this is a "bug" rather than "by design" security issue. I just hope there will be a ver.1.1.1 or a 1.2 build to fix this issue [PLEASE].

I can understand Jeff's frustration; this product is WELL WORTH THE MONEY - when it works well (like in the previous builds)... no doubt the developers have worked hard to get it this far, and despite this recent error, I support the developers 100%.  Hang in there Jeff, you'll see how amazing this is once it's "fixed" or a solution is found :). 

Thanks again and still looking forward to a solution soon. 

[EDIT:  I have since installed XBMC and it works perfectly with my NAS infrastructure]

December 12, 2011 - 11:18pm
waikikiTed's picture

Same problem. It's driving me nuts. It happened after updating to 1.0.  I haven't updated firmware, just firecore.

AppleTV is almost useless to me now if MediaPlayer isnt consistently working. Forces me to regularly switch to the Roku player now when I want to watch something.

I hope firecore figures this out.

December 13, 2011 - 12:00am

In the end I decided to change my Belkin N+ Router and buy an Apple Airport Extreme.

I attached to it my HDs (using a USB hub) and exposed them with AFP protocol.

The AppleTV now can see all the HDs without any problem.

Anyway I think that there is some bug in SMB implementation with the aTV Flash (black) Media Player.

Alex

December 13, 2011 - 4:26pm
waikikiTed's picture

I am going to try this set-up as described above exactly on Thursday when I get home. Thank you for taking the time to write it up.

This is just such a weird occurrence since it is so recent. None of my other devices are affected by it.... Roku, HTPC, MediaCenter Extenders, AirVideo, ORB, PlyOn, etc.....

Thanks again

December 13, 2011 - 5:30pm
jeffreys.9428's picture

I did a combination of all of the above and got it to work finally.

My advice; Make sure you share using the advanced sharing tab, that did the trick for me

and so far Alexo..it is becoming worth the money..

But there needs to be more documentation for us noobs

December 13, 2011 - 5:51pm (Reply to #27)
lawrenceb.7070's picture
  jeffreys.9428 wrote:

I did a combination of all of the above and got it to work finally.

My advice; Make sure you share using the advanced sharing tab, that did the trick for me

and so far Alexo..it is becoming worth the money..

But there needs to be more documentation for us noobs

Glad to hear you got it to work, do you have Windows 7 64bit?

Also I am curious but do you still have Windows Live on your machine?

December 13, 2011 - 6:04pm
lawrenceb.7070's picture

I am using Windows 7 64 and was having the same problem. I believe the problem is how you set the folders up for sharing.

This is what worked for me.

Make sure your network type is set to HOME - not public

1. Navigate to the Network and Sharing Center via the Control Panel
  2. Select connect to a network
    Network Discovery - ON
    File Sharing - ON
    Public Folder Sharing - OFF
    Printer Sharing - ON
    Password Protected Sharing - OFF
    Media Sharing - OFF
    User accounts ON

REBOOT ?

Next, I configured the folders I want to share:

1. Select the folder
  2. Right-click and choose 'Properties' from the menu
  3. select Share tap
  4. Add a new user "Everyone", making sure permissions are set to 'Read'
  5. Go to advanced and make sure to have the shared box checked.
  6. Don't forget to save.

In AppleTV

I also left "user" blank and "password" blank, that way AppleTv will log in as Guest into your WORKGROUP.

I believe Guest Account needs to be turned ON for this to work

Also this Youtube video helped me out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQstgQ4eJCM&fea...

Xctechs has some very helpful videos, just be aware that there are different versions of aTV Flash, I am using 1.1 which is the latest.

http://www.youtube.com/user/xctechs

There has been some talk on other forums that Windows Live may be causing a conflict, I deleted Windows Live from my

computer before I did all this, so not sure if this has anything to do with anything.

Please let me know how you make out.

December 13, 2011 - 6:21pm (Reply to #29)
jeffreys.9428's picture
  lawrenceb.7070 wrote:

Glad to hear you got it to work, do you have Windows 7 64bit?

Also I am curious but do you still have Windows Live on your machine?

Yep Win 7 64 bit

No windows Live

January 3, 2012 - 8:07am
Biffin's picture

Got it working using the steps outlined in this page. Thank you so much! Smile