Unable to SSH to Apple TV 5.01

Hi,

I recently updated by jailbreak to the seasonpass 5.01 untethered jailbreak. Everything installed fine and I see the FC logo on the settings icon on the Apple TV home screen.

The Apple TV is connected to my home wifi with the IP 192.168.1.14

I open up cyberduck, put in the IP address from my apple TV (192.168.1.14) and I get connection time out, I can’t work out whats wrong, never had a problem with SSH before.

Even when I ping it I get destination host unreachable, but switching to the Apple TV Netflix and everything else working with no problems.

First I thought that SSH itself maybe didnt install properly on the jailbreak, so I re-jailbroke it but unfortunately have the same issue.

Regards

I have same issue, has the root password changed in this version of ATV flash black 1.5.1?

It should be root:alpine as in previous releases, are you sure that’s the correct IP? If you can’t ping it it’s probably wrong. If your router is set to assign IP’s automatically it may have used a different IP this time.

Is definately the right IP. I’ve even checked on my router homepage aswell as on the apple TV. It’s like there is no ssh server on the apple tv as far as I can see.

Still having no joy with it.

I’m getting a similar error.  SSH connections worked fine until I restarted the AppleTV, and now not letting me connect.  I’ve tried connecting over Wifi and Ethernet and getting the same problems with both.

The error I get is

my-imac:~ yuri$ ssh -v root@apple-tv.local

OpenSSH_5.6p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8r 8 Feb 2011

debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config

debug1: Applying options for *

debug1: Connecting to apple-tv.local [192.168.1.113] port 22.

debug1: Connection established.

debug1: identity file /Users/yuri/.ssh/id_rsa type -1

debug1: identity file /Users/yuri/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1

debug1: identity file /Users/yuri/.ssh/id_dsa type -1

debug1: identity file /Users/yuri/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1

ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

Mine won’t connect atall, just get connection timeout, putty, cyberduck… IP is definately right… can only give up for now.

I’m using transmit, and I had to manually clear out my .ssh host names on my Mac. I am however not directly connecting to a i.p. as I’m using Bonjour (name+password, done)

But logging into my ATV with terminal is fine.

ssh root @Apple-TV.local (no space)

alpine

I’m having the same issues with trying to SSH in. Cyber Duck “Connection Failed” Premature connection close. Same with Winscp. I’ve restarted Apple TV, refreshed router, double checked IP address- have not set up any passwords- using (my IP address) root/alpine  Open SSH says it’s installed- have updated Nito…

Was able to get in and at least put some repos in yesterday- any idea how to fix this? Many thank FireCore for any help.

Having the same problem here… I was connecting fine and all the sudden after Nito Updated last time now I can connect through SSH.

Running SSH in debug mode also bring the same error:

OpenSSH_5.6p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8r 8 Feb 2011
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to apple-tv.local [XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /Users/emueses/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /Users/emueses/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /Users/emueses/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: identity file /Users/emueses/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1

This usually means an error with the Keys, but how can we correct it if we can’t SSH?

You would need to clear out the cached keys in /Users/<username>/.ssh/

No cigar. Clearing and/or removing the .ssh keys yields the same error:

Eduardo-Muesess-iMac:~ emueses$ ssh root@apple-tv.local

I apologize for not reading thru all threads- I still wasn’t able to SSH anymore. I (think) I’ve exhausted everything I can think of. I did find a solution for anyone else having these problems. SinfuliPhone has the XBMC installer you can use and you will no longer need to SSH in (if you don’t want to) for XBMC. It works great. 

SSH is a powerful and almost required component for this whole thing to work.

There are instances where you need to run certain commands that require you the access to a CLI interface. It’s not only for the installation of XBMC.

I find the lack of answers discouraging…

I absolutely agree with you. I really cannot figure out why it isn’t working, but I figured this method (mentioned above) was at least a way to get your repos and plug ins added in XBMC. :) I would be super grateful if anyone does or has figured out a way in… I have PC’s and Mac’s and have tried:

WinSCP, CyberDuck, Putty, Terminal… Nada.  :frowning:

"The height of every passion is to will its own downfall"

-Søren Kierkegaard

If its a problem with the key run this in terminal or putty

Rm -f ~/.ssh/known_hosts

Then try ssh again

It is not a problem with the key on the computer side. Is you go back to the thread, you will see that several people have removed the keys and the result is the same. I have tried to connect from different computers where there was no previous connection, or keys for that matter, and I still get the same error. Something is corrupt on the Apple TV side. The problem is that you can uninstall ssh as aTV gives you a message that it is a required component and I can’t be uninstalled.

Catch-22 anyone?

The same thing happen to me. Everything went fine (i was able to ssh using putty and winscp)  untill i update all NitoTV components. OpenSSH is by default 5.6p1-8 and it updated to 5.8p1-9 despite it shows 6.0p1-10 when we see the properties.

Now i only get “Server unexpectedly closed network connection” and can’t ssh. And this is definitly a ATV problem because this is 2nd time it happens. The first time (yesterday) I re-JB and everything went fine. Today i re-updated nitotv and bam!

If nobody finds a solution we have all to re-jb our atv and make sure not to update open-ssh.

Regards.

I had the same problem and in fact jailbroke twice.  SSH lasted about a day and now I can’t access via putty or ssh.  I get the message that the server closed the connection.  I think the SeasonPass folks need to learn about this.  More peoplw will come to the surface on this issue when it comes time to update an app such as plex xmbc etc. and find they can’t login.

NF

I am sorry that I am not an SSH guru, but I will do my best to explain how I somehow got it to work.

Basically, it gave me the same error. Then I tried to sudo SSH, gave me a whole warning about fingerprints. Tried the default password (alpine) three times, then I was booted because that apparently wasn’t right. went back to using the SSH command sans sudo, and it had no issue connecting. Maybe it kicked SSH on remotely, restarted it or something because now my Plex install using the Python script installed without a hitch!

What ssh client are you using to connect?  Putty?  With Putty, you enter all the login info prior to connecting so I’m not at a prompt of any sort to type any ssh commands.

NF