115 posts / 0 new / Last post
  June 12, 2012 - 6:01am
11dreamsbig's picture
Kudos: 0

Thank you for the advice. I did re-jailbreak (went very smooth)- and, I was able to SSH in (I had a folder FULL of all the zip files, repos and plugins on my desktop!) and was able to both change my password using the method you outlined (using Putty) and Cyberduck also works using STFP. What a relief! My next question (sorry) is: where is this virus coming from? I've never had any issues like this before, and other than putting my repos/plugins in- I rarely SSH in...? Also, as I mentioned, passwords have been changed on iPhone and Apple TV's- but what about my Mac/PC's that have been sharing the Wifi network (prior to the password change and re-jailbreak? My PC's show show sign of virus through their anti-virus software- my Mac has no anti-virus on it, but should I do anything to it? I do not file share with my computers.

Again, thank you for the advice.

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.
Ernest Hemingway

June 12, 2012 - 6:40am
SDragon's picture

This virus only exist in iOS iDevices so don't worry a bit. As long as you have a customized password for root user you're safe.

June 12, 2012 - 10:05am
emueses's picture

Thanks SDragon, your instructions worked. After re-jbing I was able to SSH into it, changed the password and my ATV2 is much more happy. Too bad that we have to go through the process again. It should be made clear in the installation instructions that it's recommended changing the password from the get-go.

June 12, 2012 - 11:21am
SDragon's picture

Glad i could help! Cool

June 12, 2012 - 12:34pm
11dreamsbig's picture

Yes- thanks from me too Dragon. I agree with post above- I think it would be good to include (stress) the importantance of changing your root password to save yourself a lot of frustratiin and time (and maybe even serious problems).
SeasonPass & TV Flash are awesome- thanks to Firecore- but there are lots of "newbies" (like me!)- who might not know about this, or the importance of it.

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.
Ernest Hemingway

June 12, 2012 - 8:25pm
badabing's picture

It's possible that the root problem for some of you is a virus, I can assure you that I had the exact same problem and it wasn't a virus issue.

The very first thing I do with any iDevice, after J/B is to change both user passwords (root and mobile) to something complex enough that can't be cracked using brute force in a reasonable time.

Without having access to a console and confirming the presence of virus injected files, there's no assurance that any of you that are fixing the problem by jailbreaking again are actually infected.

There are enough anecdotes reporting of recurrence after re-j/b lead me to believe that the issue was elsewhere.

I managed to install ftp daemon through which I was able to browse edit / upload key files.
The way I managed to fix this was to first downgrade openssh to
openssh_5.8p1-9
and then upgrade it back to
openssh_6.0p1-10

it's a tricky path to pull it, but if you're determine and inclined to do so, you can definitely fix it without re-j/b

• install afc2add
  • install vsftpd
  • run ifunbox on pc / mac to create the vsftpd needed directories
  • you should be able to ftp
  • upload a copy of openssh_5.8p1-9_iphoneos-arm.deb in /private/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall (you could probably do so using ifunbox as well, I prefer ftp)
  • edit /private/var/stash/libexec/cydia/startup
    and update dpkg line to force downgrade
  • reboot
  • upgrade openssh to 6.0p1-10

you should be able to connect.

Good luck

June 19, 2012 - 10:42am (Reply to #37)
fritzboyle's picture
  badabing wrote:

It's possible that the root problem for some of you is a virus, I can assure you that I had the exact same problem and it wasn't a virus issue.

The very first thing I do with any iDevice, after J/B is to change both user passwords (root and mobile) to something complex enough that can't be cracked using brute force in a reasonable time.

Without having access to a console and confirming the presence of virus injected files, there's no assurance that any of you that are fixing the problem by jailbreaking again are actually infected.

There are enough anecdotes reporting of recurrence after re-j/b lead me to believe that the issue was elsewhere.

I managed to install ftp daemon through which I was able to browse edit / upload key files.
The way I managed to fix this was to first downgrade openssh to
openssh_5.8p1-9
and then upgrade it back to
openssh_6.0p1-10

it's a tricky path to pull it, but if you're determine and inclined to do so, you can definitely fix it without re-j/b

• install afc2add
  • install vsftpd
  • upload a copy of openssh_5.8p1-9_iphoneos-arm.deb in /private/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall (you could probably do so using ifunbox as well, I prefer ftp)
  • reboot

you should be able to connect.

Good luck

Badabing, thanks for the information. This seems like what I have been looking for. I wanted to fix ssh w/out re-j/b (I like your abbreviation).

Can you give more details, like the actual commands to perform all the steps?
I'm kind of a newbie and some steps are unfamiliar to me

June 22, 2012 - 3:19pm
badabing's picture

Ok let's take it in small steps,
do you know or are you able to do steps 1 and 2,
ie install packages through the UI and not the console?

July 3, 2012 - 3:54pm
MightyMouse's picture
Kudos: 32

Here is what i can do:

• install afc2add
  • install vsftpd

I dont see where the vsftp directories are.

and i cant connect with any FTP client. Therefore, i cant do the rest listed below.

• reboot

Thoughts?

btw, i am on windows

July 3, 2012 - 5:01pm
fritzboyle's picture

sorry I was away for a bit.

I was also able to install the 2 packages you suggested via NitoTV and start iFunBox on my mac.

I am not seeing how to connect to the atv2, though.

July 5, 2012 - 7:13am
badabing's picture

MightyMouse / fritzboyle

I wish I had taken notes, so I'm writing this from my vague memory.

Considering that you both installed afc2add.
Reboot the ATV
connect via USB cable to your PC / MAC
and connect using iFunbox

Under Connected Devices (in iFunBox) you should see your ATV2
Go to Raw File System (this is the / of your ATV)
Navigate to
/private/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall
Use CopyFromPC option to upload openssh_5.8p1-9_iphoneos-arm.deb into that directory
What this does is upon next reboot, cydia will attempt to install any deb file that is in AutoInstall directory.
However because you have a newer version, which can't be uninstalled, cydia will not downgrade, hence navigate to
/private/var/stash/libexec/cydia/startup
and use CopyToPC option to copy startup file to your pc/mac
edit the file on your pc/mac
modify the line that has dpkg to this
dpkg --force-downgrade -i "${debs[@]}" 2>/tmp/dpkg.log 1>&2
basically we are adding an option to force downgrading (--force-downgrade)
and then upload it back to ATV using CopyFromPC option.

reboot ATV
check using NitoTV to make sure you have the downgraded version running on ATV.
test to see if you can connect.
if not,
upgrade openssh
reboot
you should be able to connect again.

MightyMouse,
to get ftp working, check the ATV log files, vsftp reports what directory it is missing or at least it gives out an error,
google the error code and you'd know what directory it is expecting to find
just create it, and vsftpd would start working on next reboot

I wish I remember the details.

Good luck.

July 5, 2012 - 10:06am
fritzboyle's picture

ifunbox does not appear to recognize anything. In fact. there is really NOTHING in ifunbox. Am I missing something? connecting the atv2 with the cable doesnt make the files available. are we supposed to put it in DFU mode or something?

UPDATE NOTE: actually, I found I have to have the atv power able plugged in, THEN plug the USB into the mac- in that order in order for ifunbox to work.

I am now going throught the rest of the steps....sorry for the false alarm.

2nd UPDATE NOTE: wow....that was amazing. worked like a charm. my only stumble was finding a good download of the downgraded openssh file.

Now I have changed my password and hope that the issue is done. My question is now about moving forward. shall I always keep this version of openssh (until a new j/b?) should I go back in and upgrade it? are there any repercussions to having the edited startup file?

I want to thank you again, badabing. VERY helpful post. I will be sharing this on forum.XBMC as there were several people having this trouble posting there as well.

July 6, 2012 - 7:24am
badabing's picture

My question is now about moving forward. shall I always keep this version of openssh (until a new j/b?) should I go back in and upgrade it? are there any repercussions to having the edited startup file?

I want to thank you again, badabing. VERY helpful post. I will be sharing this on forum.XBMC as there were several people having this trouble posting there as well.

You're most welcome, feel free to help others.
I have upgraded openssh to the latest and haven't had issues yet, but I'm keeping the old file handy, and I also have ftp enabled, so I can easily downgrade if the need ever arises.

I don 't think there is any harm in keeping the startup script modified, all it does is it allows a downgrade.
Besides how often you drop files in that directory to auto-install deb files?
and if you ever do, you'd know what you're doing.

July 11, 2012 - 11:34pm
fritzboyle's picture

I posted this solution & information on forum.xbmc

there was a person there who is on a Win7 machine and is having trouble.

MightyMouse, I was wondering if you were successful with your windows machine &/or if you could provide any guidance for someone not seeing theATV2 show up in ifunbox after installing all the programs?

July 12, 2012 - 5:28am
MightyMouse's picture

i could not get the file structure to populate on my win7 box correctly. It would only show some of the structure.

I used a friend's mac and it worked fine.

July 12, 2012 - 8:35am
badabing's picture

I used Win 7 x64 to fix mine.
so the problem is most likely unrelated to the OS.

You can also try
iPhone Explorer
http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

iPhone Browser
http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/downloa...

Your mileage may vary
Good luck

July 12, 2012 - 8:56am (Reply to #47)
fritzboyle's picture
  MightyMouse wrote:

i could not get the file structure to populate on my win7 box correctly. It would only show some of the structure.

I used a friend's mac and it worked fine.

ok, thanks, i let them know.

I wonder if there is something with win7 & the app that doesnt work?

so you are all set now? your ATV2 able to ssh, etc?

July 12, 2012 - 1:23pm
badabing's picture

If the PC (win7) is a computer that has previously never connected to ATV through itunes, then the correct drivers are missing from the PC.
Make sure to first connect it to iTunes and then attempt with the other 3rd party tools.
Also the ATV needs to be rebooted for afc2add to be loaded, which is a requirement to connect with the 3rd party tools via USB.

July 13, 2012 - 12:16am
atr64's picture

This FIXED my ssh problem. I followed the steps exactly above by @badabing using windows7. thanks very much.

However I have a question or two like other members. What actually happen to my atv2? Does my atv2 still have virus or corrupt files? The update that cause this problem seems to kill ssh and programs through XBMC Plugin. Firecore stuff seems intact.

ps,  I did changed my root password before ever updating as suggested.

July 13, 2012 - 5:57am
MightyMouse's picture

i have read many places and it is reported that this issue is not a virus. It is a bad upgrade or bug in the latest SSH that was installed on the ATV. I am not a dev or programer. So i cant confirm this.

July 15, 2012 - 7:41am
badabing's picture

I have to agree with MightyMouse,
I highly doubt that my system was infected, as I have previously stated, changing the password to a complex one is the first thing I do.

Glad that the this is working for others.

July 19, 2012 - 11:56am (Reply to #52)
hamdicarlo's picture

Hi badabing,

i did go through the first 2 steps, however, i can only see 5 folders under my RAW and nothing that could route me to where you mentioed!!

am i doning or missing any steps?

UPDATE: badabing YOU ARE A GENUIS...... thanks a million

as for my above question, i found that reboot meant (disconnect the Apple TV from power and reconnect again) aparantly rebooting option from NitoTV settings didnt work for me. i had to do the hard wire reboot.

Hope this will help someone else

i did change the password as you advised on the ATV2, I have a question  though; i have ATV1 (first Gen 160GB) do i need to be worried that the same might happen for it? if so, how can i change the password on it?

i tried sshing and typed passwd but no juice!!

Thanks, thanks, thanks

July 21, 2012 - 6:43am (Reply to #53)
farfromrefuge's picture
  hamdicarlo wrote:

Hi badabing,

i did go through the first 2 steps, however, i can only see 5 folders under my RAW and nothing that could route me to where you mentioed!!

am i doning or missing any steps?

UPDATE: badabing YOU ARE A GENUIS...... thanks a million

as for my above question, i found that reboot meant (disconnect the Apple TV from power and reconnect again) aparantly rebooting option from NitoTV settings didnt work for me. i had to do the hard wire reboot.

Hope this will help someone else

i did change the password as you advised on the ATV2, I have a question  though; i have ATV1 (first Gen 160GB) do i need to be worried that the same might happen for it? if so, how can i change the password on it?

i tried sshing and typed passwd but no juice!!

Thanks, thanks, thanks

Just like you i only see 5 folders under raw. How did you solve that?

Thanks

UPDATE: I think it might be because i dont have afc2add. But i dont have nitotv (damn me for not installing it first) so i dont see how i could install it ....

July 21, 2012 - 9:55am (Reply to #54)
hamdicarlo's picture
  farfromrefuge wrote:

Just like you i only see 5 folders under raw. How did you solve that?

Thanks

UPDATE: I think it might be because i dont have afc2add. But i dont have nitotv (damn me for not installing it first) so i dont see how i could install it ....

Try google to find a walk through on how toinstall afc2add via ssh.
Once you managed to do so, make sure to reboot your apple tv (disconnect the power cored and then plug it again)

All the best of luck

July 22, 2012 - 3:24am (Reply to #55)
farfromrefuge's picture
  hamdicarlo wrote:

Try google to find a walk through on how toinstall afc2add via ssh.
Once you managed to do so, make sure to reboot your apple tv (disconnect the power cored and then plug it again)

All the best of luck

Actually the point of that thread is that i dont have ssh access Wink That s what i am trying to repair.

July 23, 2012 - 6:20pm
badabing's picture

hamdicarlo,
I'm glad this helped you, sorry I don't check it frequently enough to have responded you sooner.
It's good to know that reboot in NitoTV doesn't work, I'm sure it will benefit others who are in a similar situation.

farfromrefuge,
what do you have installed?

July 28, 2012 - 7:32pm
Dota's picture

I admin I'm new and I have been following this thread.  Badabing, is there a way you can post a copy of your startup file or paste all the information you have in your startup file?  I've followed the directions and everything still shows version 6 for openssh.

By the way I'm doing all this on my Windows 7 64bit laptop

July 31, 2012 - 11:51am
Kev Wicks's picture

I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE LEFT IT ALONE AS I WAS... I HAD JB IT B4 IT WONT SSH AT ALL VIA APPLE TERMINAL OR PUTTY FOR WINDOWS OR WINSCP

192.168.2.6 SHOULD BE MY TATTOO FOREVER AT THIS RATE.......

July 31, 2012 - 2:51pm (Reply to #59)
badabing's picture
  Dota wrote:

I admin I'm new and I have been following this thread.  Badabing, is there a way you can post a copy of your startup file or paste all the information you have in your startup file?  I've followed the directions and everything still shows version 6 for openssh.

By the way I'm doing all this on my Windows 7 64bit laptop

[code]

!/bin/bash

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

if [[ ! -e /var/lib/cydia/firmware.ver ]]; then
cache=
fi

/usr/libexec/cydia/firmware.sh

debs=(/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall/*.deb)
if [[ ${#debs[@]} -ne 0 && -f ${debs[0]} ]]; then
dpkg --force-downgrade -i "${debs[@]}" 2>/tmp/dpkg.log 1>&2
rm -f "${debs[@]}"
cache=

killall -9 Lowtide AppleTV

fi

if [[ ${cache+@} ]]; then
su -c uicache mobile
fi
[/code]

July 31, 2012 - 8:00pm
alex_guichard's picture

Hi all.  New to the boards - this discussion caught my eye. Thanks for the instructions for downgrading, it does not seem to be working for me unfortunately.    

I copied the .deb file to the apple TV with iFunBox, modified the startup file. When I get on the apple TV and highlight 'openssh' in NitoTV's "Install Software" screen, it says I have the older ssh version installed (5.8p1-9), but when I click "select" to go to the install/queue/remove/more screen for OpenSSH, it says I have 6.0p1-10 installed. The deb file is still there in the autoinstall folder when I power down and plug the appleTV back into iFunbox.

Do you think I am not properly downgrading? All I modified in the startup file was to add "--force-downgrade" to the dpkg line, am I missing other code in there?  Also, I edited it in notepad (my windows HTPC does not have a great text editor on it), is there a better text editor on windows I should use? 

Any help you can provide is much appreciated! Really missing being able to remote in to my AppleTV!Another interesting note: when I log into my router, the appleTV is not showing up in my DHCP client table -- even though it is connecting to the network and the internet just fine. Strange.