115 posts / 0 new / Last post
  August 18, 2012 - 8:53am
Dota's picture
Kudos: 0

Hey Bada,

I do have the "com.saurik.Cydia.Startup.plist" file when I checked. 

Just curious about the sshd file...what should the permissions be?  Mines is reading 644

August 19, 2012 - 11:54am
Dota's picture

Might be crazy but I think NitoTV is a member of the board now.  Think its possible to ask him for his solution on this since the update is happening from his product(if its not someone correct me)?

August 19, 2012 - 12:47pm
ChasF's picture

If I understand correctly, if I re JB my Apple TV1 then I will get ftp access via Cyberduck etc.  But I read that if you install ATV-USB twice it will restore to factory settings.  If that is true then everything on ATV will be lost. (I suffered a serious fault caused by HP and all my photos etc are now encrypted and inaccessible.  This is why I need to access ATV.)  So my main question is, is it safe to re JB?

ChasF

August 19, 2012 - 4:40pm
Dota's picture

For ftp access (not ssh), install vsftpd through nito tv then use ifunbox to create a folder name empty in the "/usr/share" directory.  Then try again with a ftp client to connect.

August 31, 2012 - 6:14pm
KIKE43PR's picture

I don't know if everybody here has a solution for the original problem but this is what i did to solve the ssh issue;

Downloaded iexplorer

downloaded ifunbox

plugged the apple tv into the power source waited till solid light

plugged micro usb to pc

opened i explorer after it recognized the apple tv

then opened ifunbox waited for the app to see the apple tv

went to the ssh option and from there installed XBMC Nito Tv using the line by line ssh utility

Then opened plugged the apple tv to the tv opened nito tv and installed openssh and af2dd from there

that was all i did all working great for me now

Kike

September 8, 2012 - 8:22pm
alex_guichard's picture

Gah!  Okay, some small progress.  Forgive my delayed response, I have been very busy not working on hobbies Smile

Got FTP working, so I can at least browse the filesystem now without having to plug it into another computer.  Here's the bad news:

1) I used cyberduck to update the permissions on the "startup" file.  Execute was not allowed, so I allowed it for all users.  

2) I added the line "touch /mnt/test" to the startup file, /mnt/ is still empty after reboot.

3) My .deb file is still in the autoinstall folder and is not updating! It still seems like something is very wrong with my startup file, but I cannot figure out what.  

Here is the text of my startup file:

!/bin/bash

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

if [[ ! -e /var/lib/cydia/firmware.ver ]]; then

cache=

fi

/usr/libexec/cydia/firmware.sh

debs=(/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall/*.deb)

if [[ ${#debs[@]} -ne 0 && -f ${debs[0]} ]]; then

dpkg --force-downgrade -i "${debs[@]}" 2>/tmp/dpkg.log 1>&2

rm -f "${debs[@]}"

cache=

killall -9 Lowtide AppleTV

fi

if [[ ${cache+@} ]]; then

su -c uicache mobile

fi

touch /mnt/test

October 1, 2012 - 10:06am
joseph .7360's picture

Just adding my voice to the many. Since the upgrade I cannot ssh with terminal or cyberduck.

Uninstalled and reinstalled Nito with the older version of openssh being there, but no help there. Have read all the posts. Complex issue to resolve. Can't believe Nito has not fixed this.

Some of the solutions offered look hopeful, but time consuming. Even re-jaiobreaking requires me to completely move my Imac downstairs, because my Black Macbook no longer works for JB since later version 4's. Anybody hear anything hopeful toward an easier fix?

November 13, 2012 - 10:39am
joseph .7360's picture

How I fixed it. Made sure I tunes was most current. Did a rejaiibreak with newest version.  SSH working Before setting everything up and installing NITO TV I was able to ssh. I did a change password via ssh, incase it was that IOS virus mentioned on the forums here. Set up everything but did not update open ssh after installing Nito TV. SSH and CYberduck work fine now. I will leave open ssh as is until these things are verified as cleared up with future updates.

November 25, 2012 - 3:25pm
ch1vo's picture

same problem. I have an ATV2 with 5.0.2 JB, SSH worked perfectly fine until I updated/upgraded packages in NitoTV (one of which I assume was the SSH package), and now I get the Timeout Connection error when I try to SSH/WinSCP/PuTTy/Cyberduck into it. I'm really trying to avoid rejailbreaking it. Is there a way to possibly replace the newest version of SSH with the older? It wont let me uninstall SSH in NitoTV as it says its required to work...And I can't SSH in to uninstall/install older version from the command line Confused

November 25, 2012 - 4:51pm
joseph .7360's picture

My experience, you will have to rejailbreak. However, make sure you back up everything with Firecore for all your settings, and I would suggest without Nito installed. So delete Nito first via Firecore.  Back up, Rejailbreak  install ATVBlack, ( at this point if you wanted/needed to change your password into your ATV 2 you can ssh/cyberduck) then Nito, do not update the Nito open ssh. I have not heard if this is safe to do or not. SSH/Cyberduck are both working fine, and I have not updated Open SSH after the reinstall. Other Nito bits are ok to update, especially the essential ones they will flag you for updating. I can ssh or cyberduck now. nomproblems. I had changed my password from alpine, but the rejialbreak reset my ssh path to the ATV2 default. Hope this helps. BTW, from what I read, it was only the latest ATV@ update that cuased the ssh problem. not older versions. Any, this worked for me. At least my Imac can jaialbreak my ATV2 starting with an iTunes ATV@ update and then Seasonpass etc in about 18-20 minutes.

November 25, 2012 - 5:04pm
ch1vo's picture

yeah after exhausting all other options, it looks like re-jailbreaking is what it's going to take. thanks for the guide though, I'll get to it right now!!

December 14, 2012 - 2:03am (Reply to #102)
janschrik's picture
  badabing wrote:

The way I managed to fix this was to first downgrade openssh to openssh_5.8p1-9 and then upgrade it back to openssh_6.0p1-10

Thanks, you saved my day

December 14, 2012 - 10:05am
ChasF's picture

I've got Apple TV 1 (silver).  I've re-jailbroken it and with Cyberduck can see the main folders, but when I double click to see music, videos, or photos the folder appears empty, but there's loads in there.  I have looked to install Nito TV, but cannot find it in the downloads.  Is Nito TV exclusive to Apple TV 2 and 3, or just to the USA, I'm in the UK?

Any suggestions how I can see those files, so that I can download them to my Window 7 pc?  (I had a virus earlier in the year and everything was lost, except on Apple TV 1).

ChasF

December 22, 2012 - 7:00am
reneb's picture

Finally I solved the SSH problem ... badabing's explanation works when you change the permissions from the startup file to 744.
This can be done by installing vsftpd with NitoTV (you need to use search to find it) and next use iFunbox and USB cable to create an empty (named empty) directory in /usr/share on your Apple TV, so you'd have a directory /usr/share/empty.
Now FTP is working on the ATV and FTP connect to your Apple TV using Cyberduck. Standard FTP login for root is: root - alpine.
Next go to the startup file that was modified like badabing described and change the rights of the startup file (use right mouse click - info) in the path
/private/var/stash/libexec/cydia/ to 744 so the owner has all privileges (mine was set to 644 so root could not run the startup file). Next reinstall OpenSSH on the ATV in NitoTV.
Reboot the ATV and SSH access is working again. Mind the SSH root password is reset to alpine, also the SSH login mobile - alpne works so you need to change that like this:
- Type "passwd" <enter>
- Enter your new "root" password
- Re-enter your new "root" password
- Type "passwd mobile" <enter>
- Enter your new "mobile" password
- Re-enter your new "mobile" password

January 11, 2013 - 4:38pm
DUCATI_996SPS's picture

SSH FIX APPLE TV
THIS FIX WILL NOT INSTALL IKEE VIRUS
CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO WORKS 100%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUY2DGon8UY

February 5, 2013 - 8:22am
drreen's picture

I had the same issue with:

ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

After fixing dependencies with opens in nitoTV and remove known_hosts in ~/.ssh directory on OSx (might be unnecessary) it worked fine.

February 17, 2013 - 4:44pm
soundmanbrad's picture

Nevermind

March 23, 2013 - 4:50pm (Reply to #108)
0b0's picture
0b0

Old thread, but badabing's fix saved me from re-jailbreaking when ssh stopped accepting connections. Thanks man!

In case it helps anyone else, i had trouble installing afc2add via NitoTV. Kept getting repo errors for erica utilities. I manually re-added the modmyi repo via manage, add new repo in NitoTV (http://apt.modmyi.com i think) didn't appear to make any difference, but next time i installed afc2add it found erica utilities and it all installed fine. Was then able to replace sshd via ifunbox - had to rename file in link from file1.sshd to just sshd, but after that ssh ztarted working again

badabing wrote:

Dota,
Thanks

Found the problem, corrupt [b] sshd[/b]
looks like the header has been replaced with libpcreposix dylib,

just replace it with the following file, reboot and you should be good to go.
http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=rn6CgCM9x

The file is in: /usr/sbin

Make sure you don't delete the one on ATV, just replace it so that you keep the permissions.
Good luck

May 4, 2013 - 2:15pm
matthoffner's picture

Thank you, this fixed it for me. You also helped me figure out how to get ftp on there for permissions. Who knows whether this was a malicious thing for having default password set or something that Apple borked in updates.

Now onto making this a vnc client for screenrecycler.

badabing wrote:

Dota,
Thanks

Found the problem, corrupt [b] sshd[/b]
looks like the header has been replaced with libpcreposix dylib,

just replace it with the following file, reboot and you should be good to go.
http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=rn6CgCM9x

The file is in: /usr/sbin

Make sure you don't delete the one on ATV, just replace it so that you keep the permissions.
Good luck

September 28, 2013 - 5:40pm
escalations's picture

Need help, seems all doors to my ATV2 are closed. I have JB atv2 with 5.01 and unteethered JB. I am unable to SSH, I am unable to connect via iTunes, device is not found though itunes opens when I connect it to the computer. Also I have zero space left on my Apple TV. When I try to delete something via NitoTV I get the error that no space is left. So I can't add anything and can't remove anything. Can't SSH and can't connect via iTunes.

I have tried using another computer, another itunes and another program like WinSCP. The Apple TV connects to TV fine and I can play youtube but thats about everything as due to space full, Netflex or other xbmc apps won't work.

September 7, 2014 - 1:24pm
joseph .7360's picture

Any changes? I am finally using Gotham with 5.2. I do not have Nito installed at present. I tried installing to use ssh just before the Gotham upgrade from Frodo 12.2 but got nowhere. As with everyone else it worked fine until the Ikee thing, and I had it fixed once, but now?

January 24, 2015 - 1:07pm
dadbizdoc's picture

I am clearly a noob but wanted to share my experience. I did the JB and could not SSH into the ATV. I looked at all of the potential solutions in the forum and on a whim, I plugged the power cord into the ATV and was able to SSH at that point. I strongly suspect that this is not a viable solution for a lot of folks, but wanted to share my experience in case it helped anyone. Mine is working and fine now. Thanks all,
Fred

January 24, 2015 - 1:36pm
joseph .7360's picture

At what stage did you plug in the power cord? Everyone does once them jail break is finished.

January 24, 2015 - 2:01pm
dadbizdoc's picture

I plugged it in after JB and before trying to install Kodi and the repositories. This may be totally obvious to those experienced but was not in the instructions I was following.
Fred