50 posts / 0 new / Last post
#1  July 5, 2012 - 9:36am
nomi.ahmad's picture
Kudos: 0

Hello,

When I purchased the Season Pass, it was on the assurance that soon, there would be a cracked solution for Apple TV 3.  Unfortunately, there is still no solution - since FireCore rocks for Apple TV 2, what is the prognosis for when the jailbreak for Apple TV 3 will be out?

Regards,

Nomi

July 5, 2012 - 10:32am
steve.waite's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 17

My prognosis is, if you are following anyone and everyone associated with previous jailbreaks. It won't take you long to conclude, IMO, that nobody is even working on it.  

July 5, 2012 - 11:28pm (Reply to #2)
thatmetalman's picture
  stevew.9929 wrote:

My prognosis is, if you are following anyone and everyone associated with previous jailbreaks. It won't take you long to conclude, IMO, that nobody is even working on it.  

Correct. Most have given up hope.

Twitter: @thatmetalman | Equipment: ATV2 (x2) w/- Firecore & XBMC, BBC iPlayer, 1-Channel add-ons | ATV3 w/- US Netflix | Denon AVR-2311 | iMac Household | Sonos Household

July 24, 2012 - 2:44pm
Soeren_DK's picture

@Firecore Staff

Don't you think you should change the sales talk

Apple TV 3 update in the works! When available, current aTV Flash (black) users will receive a free upgrade to the ATV3 version.

In my opinion it is very misleading Frown

Cheers
Soeren

July 24, 2012 - 5:36pm
thatmetalman's picture

I think at this point in time, that isn't an unreasonable request. Recent Tweets by the key developers (in the past week) indicate that ATV3 will be left behind for jailbreaking.

Twitter: @thatmetalman | Equipment: ATV2 (x2) w/- Firecore & XBMC, BBC iPlayer, 1-Channel add-ons | ATV3 w/- US Netflix | Denon AVR-2311 | iMac Household | Sonos Household

July 25, 2012 - 12:51am
Ukrainianoiler's picture

Hi - would you happen to have a link for those posts.  Just curious on if i should dump my atv3 or not.

July 25, 2012 - 4:06pm (Reply to #6)
thatmetalman's picture
  Ukrainianoiler wrote:

Hi - would you happen to have a link for those posts.  Just curious on if i should dump my atv3 or not.

The posts were via Twitter. The people to keep an eye on are:

@iH8sn0w

@nitoTV

I've held on to my ATV3 just in case but I'velong since given up. I guess my purpose for it now is for a 1080 streaming device that (when pigs fly) Apple may release an OS that allows NAS connection instead of iTunes through a computer.

July 26, 2012 - 12:20pm
arim.1287's picture

Seriously? I bought an ATV3 months ago anticipating the jailbreak because of the info on the site. It's been sitting in my drawer since then. If they really won't be able to jailbreak it then they have a lot of nerve saying that its "in the works". At least they took down the "coming soon" they had up there. Maybe some sort of update post telling us of their progress would be nice. I'm very disappointed.

July 26, 2012 - 3:52pm (Reply to #8)
thatmetalman's picture
  arim.1287 wrote:

Seriously? I bought an ATV3 months ago anticipating the jailbreak because of the info on the site. It's been sitting in my drawer since then. If they really won't be able to jailbreak it then they have a lot of nerve saying that its "in the works". At least they took down the "coming soon" they had up there. Maybe some sort of update post telling us of their progress would be nice. I'm very disappointed.

From James (staff):

While we're not directly involved in the jailbreak development for the ATV3, work is definitely in progress. However, due to the nature of the work it's very difficult to give any kind of ETA. Unlike normal app development which will generally see steady, consistent progress day to day, jailbreak development is very specialized and when progress does comes, it tends to come in waves as various breakthroughs are made.

We're hopeful it will get done at some point, it's just difficult to say how soon it will be.

July 27, 2012 - 10:32am
mat060's picture

I'm glad I haven't bought the ATV2 license, mi ATV3 is also getting dusty in my living room, is pretty much useless without jailbreak, except for Youtube and Home Library sharing

August 3, 2012 - 3:10pm
ronaldo.3766's picture

Very disappointed in fire cores atv3 progress. I was a big fan of the original atv flash for atv1, went ahead and bought 2 atv3 with the assumption that atv3 flash was forthcoming, sadly mistaken. Just glad I wasn't foolish enough to pre-purchase via atv2.

August 4, 2012 - 9:00am
ArtM's picture

returning my atv3 today. useless without jailbreak

August 10, 2012 - 7:44pm
musical-art's picture

A good overview of the new Apple TV3 can be found here: (russian): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iet3IBp9Y9c

September 3, 2012 - 10:00am
madspec's picture

F$#@ it, I went out and got the Roku 2 XS. I installed Plex and boom, streaming WiFi 1080p movies from my network WITHOUT having to jailbreak it.  Selling my Popcorn Hour C-200 and my Apple TV2, it does what i need it to do, plays .MKV files perfectly, reads my Itunes library and there's much more apps then Apple TV and Popcorn Hour together. Formats are :MKV using H.264, MP4/M4V/MOV using H.264 (and MPEG4), WMV/ASF using WMV9 or VC-1.

You have to get use to the interface but give it a couple of minutes and it's easy peachy.  

September 10, 2012 - 8:33am (Reply to #14)
iceberg's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 4
  madspec wrote:

F$#@ it, I went out and got the Roku 2 XS. I installed Plex and boom, streaming WiFi 1080p movies from my network WITHOUT having to jailbreak it.  Selling my Popcorn Hour C-200 and my Apple TV2, it does what i need it to do, plays .MKV files perfectly, reads my Itunes library and there's much more apps then Apple TV and Popcorn Hour together. Formats are :MKV using H.264, MP4/M4V/MOV using H.264 (and MPEG4), WMV/ASF using WMV9 or VC-1.

You have to get use to the interface but give it a couple of minutes and it's easy peachy.  

If I'm not mistaken, Plex is a two-component program which consists of a streamer (the part that transcodes the video) and the receiver that plays it. So basically for those of us with our media collection on a NAS, we would need a Plex encoder installed on the NAS side of the equation. Which for 1080p streaming requires dual-core 2.4ghz procs with sufficient RAM and which isn't too common for your typical NAS solution.

Now think about if you wanted to have more than one stream playing at once-- e.g. you want to watch something in the living room while your S.O. wants to watch in the bedroom, [and your kids want to watch Barney/Thomas/Dora in the playroom]. With an app like Plex, your streamer will have to transcode multiple streams at once, versus having three AppleTV's just playing files off a server without any need for computationally-expensive transcoding.

Which is why I'd rather have a solution like Media Player on a JB AppleTV that just plays the file without making me do lossy transcoding along the way. If FireCore ever released their media player software for OSX, I might just replace the AppleTV with a Mac mini.

September 11, 2012 - 2:18am
madspec's picture

Actually, I have 2 Roku's and I can stream 1080p on both TV'S at the same time. An BTW, Synology offers the Plex package for NAS.

September 11, 2012 - 8:07am (Reply to #16)
iceberg's picture
Beta Tester
  madspec wrote:

Actually, I have 2 Roku's and I can stream 1080p on both TV'S at the same time. An BTW, Synology offers the Plex package for NAS.

Thanks, I was already aware of that, but the Plex package is only available for Synology's NAS units that have Intel x86 processors. All of their units aimed at the consumer and their entry-level business-grade units (such as the DS411 which I have) are ARM only. Supposedly Plex might be releasing an ARM-compatible version, but I'm not holding my breath. Especially since it will not support 1080p on ARM.

So in regards to the two 1080p streams you are streaming - is that from a desktop/laptop computer, or from a NAS unit?

September 11, 2012 - 9:06am
dotsllc's picture

hey guys i got alot of faith i,ll buy your tv3 for 25.00 a piece

September 11, 2012 - 11:33am
madspec's picture

I stream my stuff from my computer, one Roku is wired and the other one wireless.

September 11, 2012 - 2:25pm (Reply to #19)
iceberg's picture
Beta Tester
  madspec wrote:

I stream my stuff from my computer, one Roku is wired and the other one wireless.

Would you believe that Plex just released a version for ARM-based Synology NAS units? 

http://www.plexapp.com/linux/linux-pms-download.php

System Requirements

• Intel (x86) versions: Core 2 Duo 1.6 GHz processor (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz for 1080p transcoding) • ARM versions: 1.0 GHz processor (transcoding not supported). • 256 MB RAM • Gigabit Ethernet recommended for HD streaming. • N.B. Flash and Silverlight video playback is not supported on Linux.

September 12, 2012 - 2:06pm
madspec's picture

Hahahaha great stuff !!!

September 18, 2012 - 7:43am
dbd868's picture

does aTV flash works only on jailbroken ATV?

September 18, 2012 - 11:29am (Reply to #22)
matty's picture
  dbd868 wrote:

does aTV flash works only on jailbroken ATV?

Yes.

http://firecore.com/atvflash-black

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS

Jailbroken 2nd gen Apple TV
Mac: OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or later
PC: Windows XP or later
Internet Connection

September 26, 2012 - 4:57am
mbnn's picture
Beta Tester
Kudos: 2

Any news on the ATV3 release? cant wait cause i definitely need Plex on our AppleTV3 Smile

September 27, 2012 - 2:14am (Reply to #24)
madspec's picture
  iceberg wrote:

Would you believe that Plex just released a version for ARM-based Synology NAS units? 

http://www.plexapp.com/linux/linux-pms-download.php

System Requirements

• Intel (x86) versions: Core 2 Duo 1.6 GHz processor (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz for 1080p transcoding) • ARM versions: 1.0 GHz processor (transcoding not supported). • 256 MB RAM • Gigabit Ethernet recommended for HD streaming. • N.B. Flash and Silverlight video playback is not supported on Linux.

And QNAP offers it to in both formats FYI.

469 ProII ...mmmm

October 9, 2012 - 2:13am
madspec's picture

Ok, after buying that QNAP 469 Pro NAS device.... disappointed as hell !!

You need a NAS with a huge CPU to do the transcoding, the 469 Pro has a Atom dual core 2.3 and it's not enough to stream.

So I did not do my homework properly and now I'm stuck with a 1500$ NAS lol.

I use it for storage in RAID5...Don't get me wrong, great little box, but overkill if you just use it for storage and don't use one of the hundred's of option's that come's with it.

Waiting on the Apple TV3 JB....

October 9, 2012 - 6:01am (Reply to #26)
dbd868's picture
  mat060 wrote:

I'm glad I haven't bought the ATV2 license, mi ATV3 is also getting dusty in my living room, is pretty much useless without jailbreak, except for Youtube and Home Library sharing

to be your ATV 3 usefull, use airparrot ( there`s a trial version) then stream your PC or MAC to your HDTV. what ever on your computer has it can mirror to TV

November 6, 2012 - 12:03am
pauleewaulee's picture

Is there an Alpha or Beta code release in plan? I have a useless ATV3 in my bedroom which acts as a paper weight right now. Keen to get some use out of it even if its buggy/fiddly to jailbreak....

Firecore has a huge following and most of us are strong advocates for the terrific work the team have done in packaging this up into something that can be used by Joe Public. Give the advocates something that demonstrates at least some progress is being made!!!!

Frown

November 6, 2012 - 2:06am
itimpi's picture
Kudos: 116

I still have not seen any believable rumours of a jailbreak for the ATV3 being available anytime soon. It is in FireCore's interest to let people know that a jailbreak is imminent so I would expect them to pass on news in this arena (remember they do not themselves develop jailbreaks - merely package ones that others develop). I am personally beginning to get a bit sceptical as to whether one will arrive at all.

I am sure that when/if a jailbreak is available then ATV Flash will be available almost immediately. It is possible in a development environment to test software on the ATV3 simulator and I would have thought that FireCore have already done that.

I AM A USER - NOT A FIRECORE EMPLOYEE

November 10, 2012 - 10:44pm
macpac's picture

Hi FireCore Team,

Is this true?

(link removed)

Any chance that you will get a look at / use their beta jailbreak.

As with many others Im waiting for you to make my apple TV awesome/useful!!!

November 11, 2012 - 2:58pm
skyynet's picture

Sounds promising for the first time since I bought that (until now) useless ATV3:

The Chip Jailbreak team had earlier announced that technicians are working full time now to develop the software compatible for Apple Tv 3 jailbreak that is already available for customers in beta version and untethered jailbreak version is expected next week .

That was announced on 5th November 2012 on the mentioned link. I'd be really interested in how FireCore does judge that jailbreak and if they are in contact with its creators.