4K HDR

If you are watching HDR content you should see a big difference. It had washed out colors before Infuse 5.6 and now plays beautifully.
If you are watching SDR content, it should look the same in Infuse 5.6 and previous versions.

No no, really. No washed colors before 5.6. Same result. I donā€™t understand.
I see an mkv 4k hdr with my Sony and itā€™s beautiful after and before.

Which Sony model do you have? Make sure you have enabled enhanced HDMI mode in the tv input settings. I had trouble getting my atv4k to work in 4K HDR 4:2:2 mode until I discovered that setting on my X900E.

I have sony xd9305 and i habe wnabled enhanced HDMI.
My tv with atv4k ever automatically set the hdr in the image settings.
Sorry for my english.

OK so as jrmec.49364 mentioned, you should see a big difference in HDR content between Infuse 5.5 and 5.6. If you donā€™t then possibly your MKV file is actually SDR. Try loading your file into MediInfo (or similar program) to determine its color primaries or matrix coefficients (in MediaInfo, this is in the Tree View). If itā€™s HDR it will say BT.2020. If itā€™s SDR, you wonā€™t see either value.

I am struggling to get Infuse 5.6 to work on SDR content with my LG65EF950V with my Apple TV 4K. When I set the video mode in the Apple TV video settings menu to ā€œ4K HDRā€, all my non HDR content played through Infuse has dull colours. To get the colours to be bright, I need to switch the Apple TV to ā€œSDRā€ video output. However, all other content and media on my Apple TV is not affected when switching between the two modes, and content played from iTunes is fine in either mode. Surely Infuse should be agnostic as to what video output mode my Apple TV is set to?

Ok, one is sdr but one hdr (bt2020). Misteryā€¦

the developers have previously stated on this thread that auto frame rate and auto colourspace switching will be coming in the next release (5.6.1?), which will hopefully be available shortly after tvOS 11.2 is publicly released. So in the meantime it means you will need to manually change your atv settings between 4K HDR and SDR mode.

Hi guys

First i wanā€™t to thank you for your amazing job ! great piece of software

Iā€™m experiencing some issue playing HDR files (on my non HDR TV) since the 5.6 update.
Compared to the standard 1080p version off the file, the 4K HDR version looks way too darkā€¦(i mean the contrast in dark sceneā€¦)

All my other 4K SDR or 1080p files just play fine.

Apple TV video outpout is configured to ycbcr 4.2.0

Any idea ?
Thanks

Weā€™re looking into a few cases of this.

Can I ask where these videos came from? A few of the user samples we have here are actually SDR videos which were converted to HDRā€¦so Infuse is treating them as HDR even though they are actually SDR. Do you know if your videos are similar?

Weā€™d be happy to review one of the videos here if you are in the mood to upload a sample.
https://firecore.com/upload

Hi,

No, iā€™m pretty sure my videoā€™s are native HDRā€¦
Iā€™m going to upload some samples

Hi,

Sorry, having some trouble making sample from my 4K filesā€¦i keep trying.
In the meanwhile, here are some screenshots to illustrate. On is the standart 1080p, the other the 4K HDR version.
Just checked my 4K file with Mediainfo and it says BT.2020 matrix coefficients ; so i think itā€™s really a native HDR version.

http://www.imageshotel.org/images/gagaktom/dsc0067.jpg => 1080p version
http://www.imageshotel.org/images/gagaktom/dsc0068.jpg => 4K HDR version

Sorry for the bad quality, iā€™m not an expertā€¦

All my other files, including my 4K SDR files (which are converted from the HDR version plays fine with normal black/contrast level)

Hi,

Just uploaded a sample ; tried on my laptop and on my smart TV, it just play fine without being to dark
So i really thing there is an issue with the latest 5.6 update !?

Thanks

iā€™ve a terrible color problem with fire and explosions on some movies, look at the attachments, this is MAD MAX 2160P HDR MKV (the one with the time mark is apple tv 4k + infuse) the other one is the same file playing directly from USB

This seems odd. So I am going to ask some very stupid questions:

• which version of Infuse are you using? (Infuse before 5.6 did not handle HDR colors properly). If you have turned off automatic app updates on your Apple TV, you might be using an older version of Infuse.
  • Is your Apple TV 4K set up to output HDR or Dolby Vision?
  • do you have an HDMI 2.0 cable?
  • in the Apple TVā€™s video output settings, is chroma subsampling set to 4.2.0 (safer) or 4.2.2?
  • do you have any color-enhancing setting enabled on your TV (such as Samsungā€™s HDR+)? On my (Philips)TV, some video settings can be set differently for each source/HDMI input. So you might have to check those when playing your file via the 2 different sources (also note that some settings only apply to HDR or SDR content, which is why actually playing the file is important)
    -what is the brand/model of your TV?

iā€™m using infuse 5.6.1, also this not happen if i play the movie on the USB player, or with itunes purchases
apple tv is set to 4K HDR 4:2:2 (also try 4:2:0 and SDR but infuse keeps showing red fire)
my tv is a samsung ju6500, all post processing and ā€œenhanced colorā€ features are turned off

this is a infuse color reading issue iā€™ve more screenshots for you to see, look at batman v superman mkv

It looks like your TV is not HDR capable (although it has a 10-bit screen), which is more than common for a TV released in 2015.
(I have a friend with a non-HDR TV and he still had the possibility of choosing HDR in the Apple TVā€™s video settings).

So the correct setting for your Apple TVā€™s video output is probably SDR.
Even with this, Infuse has to process the HDR video into SDR, and I understand they will tweak this in future releases.
This is brand new and came with Infuse 5.6. It also looks sub-optimal for me if with Infuse 5.6.1 if I set my Apple Tvā€™s output to SDR.

The same video with Infuse 5.5.5 looks closer to the real thing, but it is also off, with washed out colors, since that is HDR video processed as if it was SDR.
This is probably the same os what you see when using your TVā€™s built-in media player, which is not HDR-aware.

HDR video on your TV will probably look better when Infuse have tweked their HDR-to-SDR processing. Until then, youā€™re probably better off playing SDR videos, or accepting the washed-out colors you get when playing HDR video with a non HDR-aware media player.

This posts appears to deal with the same issue - and this is where I read James talking about adjusting the HDR-to-SDR processing/ tone mapping.

I have this same movie, so I tested it out (I only have Mad Max in 1080p so I canā€™t test that for you). Itā€™s not an Infuse color issue, itā€™s what the colors on the 4K disc actually are (where the fire looks more like lava). I just tested this out 4 different ways:
Infuse with 4K HDR UHD rip BvS - Looks like yours does
iTunes with 4K HDR BvS - Looks like Infuse
Xbox One S with 4K HDR UHD disc BvS - Looks like Infuse
Xbox One S with disc 1080p BvS - Looks like your BluRay picture.

iā€™m sorry man, but this only happens on infuse, the same files on USB fire looks yellow and not so RED like the screenshots (both with HDR)

iā€™m starting to think you are not reading my post, file plays fine on USB! with HDR and amazing colors, only on infuse i can see red fire way over saturated like the screenshots