We are pleased to announce the release aTV Flash (black) 1.0 for the 2nd generation AppleTV. aTV Flash (black) supercharges your AppleTV, empowering it to do things you never thought possible! All new features are installed alongside the normal AppleTV features, so things like movie rentals, Netflix, and AirPlay will remain unchanged.
Featured in aTV Flash (black) are tons of exciting new features, including an all-new Media Player, WebKit based browser, Last.fm radio, Weather, RSS feeds and more! Full details and screenshots can be found below, so keep reading.
Expanded media support with all the extras
The new Media Player included in aTV Flash (black) empowers you to go beyond iTunes and play most popular media formats. This includes formats such as: AVI, FLAC, ISO, M2TS, MKV, MP3, MP4, MPEG, MPG, VOB, WMV and many others.
Form and function remain in perfect balance, and you can enjoy all your media through natively styled menus that include simple access to extras such as AC3/DTS sound, subtitles, DVD menus, playlists, and many others.
Automatic metadata and cover art
Cover art and metadata are downloaded automatically and added to your files with an end result of amazing! If you've already taken the time to add your own metadata you can you can use that too.
Native web browser
Surf the web with a native web browser that provides a rich web experience on the AppleTV. Included is support for things like HTML5 music and video streaming as well as easy to use bookmarks and history. Navigating the web is easily done with the included AppleTV remote or the free Remote app for the iPhone and iPad.
More than just music
Go beyond just listening to music and start truly experiencing it by utilizing the full power of Last.fm. While streaming Last.fm radio (or playing your own music) you'll have access to artist bios, and a seemingly endless amount of artist photos.
Weather and RSS feeds
Get quick access to weather and RSS news feeds. Your current weather location will be detected automatically, and other locations can be easily added as well.
What's changed since RC1?
- Added support for FLAC and MTS files
- Added support for files with 5.0, 4.0, 3.0 and 2.1 audio tracks
- Added support for embedded covert art (m4a, m4v, mp4)
- Added fanart backdrops for TV Shows
- Added new folder artwork in Grid View
- Added loop and shuffle playlist options
- Added TV Show series cover art in Grid View and Top Shelf
- Added top to bottom and right to left navigation in grid view
- Added global setting for enabling/disabling subtitles
- Added support for large photo collections
- Added support for folders containing dot ('.') in their name
- Added (watched) view options in List View (use Play/Pause button to switch view)
- Added backup type options
- Added relaunch prompt after restoring from saved backup
- Improved folder cover art logic
- Improved setup of new shares
- Improved handling of invalid XML files
- Improved cursor handling in DVD menus
- Improved recently watched item handling
- Improved metadata caching logic
- Improved TV Show filename parsing
- Improved Grid View stability
- Improved metadata fetching speed
- Resolved issues with audio file metadata fetching
- Resolved floating crashes related to metadata fetching
- Resolved issues with metadata overriding when starting playback from top shelf
- Resolved issues with chapter selection screen layout observed on short files
- Resolved issues with metadata reloading in Grid View
- Resolved issues with TV Shows aired date
- Resolved issues with hangs on certain DVD menus
- Resolved minor memory management issues
- Resolved issues with scrolling in Top Shelf
- Resolved issues with folder names overlapping in Grid View
- Minor UI improvements
Outstanding! Where can I get it?
aTV Flash (black) is available for purchase and instant download here.
Those who pre-ordered aTV Flash (black) can download the new 1.0 version through the Downloads tab in their account. Note: Those wishing to update from an early version will need to run the 1.0 installer from a Mac or PC.